Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

You are only LEVEL 1 [ti-84+se]

Started by GuyInFreezer, January 14, 2016, 12:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyInFreezer

The best way to learn something is to try it, so here it is.

The progress will be slow as I'm basically learning stuff as I program, and I don't have much time as I used to have back then.

So here it is. This is the game I'll stick with as I learn Axe. I'll probably ask a lot of questions as I progress, so answers will always be appreciated.

Story

The lord of evil, in order to conquer the world, has landed a nasty curse upon a land.
The curse reset everyone's level other than his back to 1, the lowest level possible, and prevent them from leveling up past level 1.
With no more strong heroes left to defeat the lord of evil, the world quickly fell into chaos.
Our hero's village has been recently ransacked by a group of bandits. However, unable to level up anymore, our hero was constantly defeated by the bandits, who pledged to the lord of evil and gained 10 levels.
Our hero, unwilling to give up, decides to find the way to defeat the enemies whose levels are much higher than his...

This will be an RPG game, but unlike traditional RPG, it will feature a special game mechanic, since, well, you can't level up at all.

So far, I only got the title picture done, and I'm already stuck.

Here it is, the grand progress of my project so far!

.LEVELONE The main program

Fix 4

[Pic1]->Pic1
[Pic2]->Pic2

Repeat getKey
ClrDraw^^r^^r
Copy(Pic1,L6)
Copy(Pic2,L3)
Text(6,36,"PRESS 2ND TO START")
DispGraph^^r^^r
End

Fix 5
Return

This is what the program does.

I understand why the text is grey, but why is the text being cut off?

c4ooo

If you want [almost] perfect greyscale, you will have to look into greylib.
Beware that greylib is very cpu intensive, as it uses interrupts to achieve that level of greyscale perfection ;)
https://www.omnimaga.org/ti-z80-calculator-projects/(axe-library)-graylib-(nearly)-perfect-grayscale/
And i dont see any text on that image (except the part of the image) <.<

GuyInFreezer

I plan to use that eventually since it's the one that lets me do 4-grey masked sprites.

GuyInFreezer

Ok I made enough sprites to program the most important thing to code first in any rpg game ever.
If the sprites look somewhat familiar, then you are probably right.

Dream of Omnimaga

Those graphics look cool. So it will be a platformer RPG? I'm glad to see you back into calculator programming, by the way :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

GuyInFreezer

Not really a platformer RPG. You won't be the one controlling a character's movement!

Here's an updated sprite sheet on progress.

Game database on progress

I'm keep posting stuff like this here so I feel safe about not losing stuff I've done just in case lol

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh ok, I thought those backgrounds were for the walking engine and they looked side-scrolling style. As for not controlling the character movement by yourself, do you mean we will not be able to explore maps or walk around at all? Will it be more an arena game like Pokémon Stadium?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

GuyInFreezer

I guess you could say it's like a arena game.

Basically, once a player choose an area, the hero will walk forward and once enemy in encountered, the automatic battle is ensue, until the end of the area is reached.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I see now. Will there be multiple paths and ways to backtrack if we are too underleveled to continue.

GuyInFreezer

As of now, there will be about 20 stages when it's finished, and probably add something like hard mode or sth.
Dying won't end the game but simply fail the area with all the stuffs during the stage kept.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. I was wondering since you need to ensure the game isn't overly linear nor repetitive. This was why the color remake of Mana Force nerfed and buffed some magic spells in a way that they are almost all necessary during the entire game, rather than just using the most powerful spell you have at any time.

GuyInFreezer

The gameplay itself will be repetitive (watch your hero fight with occasional button presses for potions/weapon swap, and weapon swap will not be available at the beginning) but I plan to balance that out with various type of enemies requiring different strategies of which weapon/when to equip/swap, especially the boss battles.

The fight itself will feature criticals and attack counters with equips able to enhance the frequency/damages.

With that said I've finished all the equip data now which is all in the link above I posted. Now I need to learn how to use greylib so I can mess around with 4-grey masked sprites.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah that's good then. Battles always being the same was one of my worry, but I'm glad that you have this sorted out. IN the original version of Mana Force (2002), all magic spells were non-elemental and did nothing other than damage, so with the exception of one boss in the game which was immune to the final spell and regular attacks, all you had to do is use the most powerful spell you have. Using anything weaker was useless, since all spells barely took any MP.

The 2015 color remake (renamed to First Fantasy: Mana Force) basically adds elemental properties and immunity to spells and enemies respectively, with lower-level spells having pros and cons over their higher-level counterparts (for example, Flare did twice as much damage as Fire, but if the enemy was strong against fire, Flare elemental power was so strong that it basically did 0 damage against that enemy, while fire at least did half damage). Spells also took a lot more MP and some special spells like poison were added. So instead of spamming your strongest magic against every opponent, you had to plan before the fight depending of the enemy strength and equip the most appropriate job/class to your character.

Dudeman313

How is this coming along by the way? I might end up with a monochrome calculator again by 2017.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I am curious about that too, since this seemed quite cool. Hopefully GuyInFreezer doesn't take another three years community hiatus like the one he just came back from >.< (eg like FinaleTI, who came back "for good" after 1 year of absence, but finally only stuck around for the month <.<)