Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Yu-Gi-Oh Games

Started by gameblabla, April 05, 2017, 12:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

Yu-Gi-Oh was at first only a Manga.
Only in the late nineties did they agree to expand the series to make real cards, anime and of course, video games.
I won't cover all the Yu-Gi-Oh games mind you, only some of them.

The first Yu-Gi-Oh game ever released was Yu-Gi-Oh! Monster Capsule: Breed and Battle for the PS1.
I never played the game but it looks like a tactical rpg game. (with some virtual pet elements, according to some ppl)
The odd thing is that the monsters look nothing like the real cards or even the anime.
It's quite an oddity for me.

Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters
Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters for the Game Boy is the first game that tries to implement the rules of Yu-Gi-Oh.

It's also one of the later GB games that support the Super Game Boy borders. (as you can see)
Of course, the game had to be quite downsized : no monster effects, magic spells are very simplified etc...

The overall game itself also plays very slowly and can be at times very unforgiving, like here for example :

I was playing against Bakura and he summoned Blue-Eyes White Dragon like it was a normal monster. O_O
However, there's a trick to get rid of it : If your monster field is full, the game requires you to place a monster anyway.
In this case, the cpu always ends up putting the monster over the Blue-eyes dragon. (lol)
So that's how i was able to beat him.

However... the game requires you to beat each duelists 5 times. No thanks.
Considering the Gameboy's limitations, it's not a bad first attempt.
Managing the deck is also not too hard, despite the language barrier.
I absolutely love the graphics, the characters are nicely drawn.
But the game itself does not look so hot.

Yu-Gi-Oh : Dark Duel Stories

Here's what is probably the first Yu-Gi-Oh translated in several languages : English, German and French.
This one uses the same engine as the first one, with some differences.
For example, you need here to explicitly end the turn whereas on the previous game,
you needed to do so by setting each monster's position each turn.

However, this game is even more difficult than the first one was.
The first one had limitations that could be used to work around that but this one will not fool you around.

Even though it's in color, i don't like how they re-colored the monsters or everything else for that matter.
They picked the brightest colors they could, it seems.
I dislike this one even more so than the first one.

Yu-Gi-Oh ;: Forbidden Memories

Most people are familiar with this one, even though it was released quite late in the PS1's lifespan.
Interestingly enough, the Japanese version was released 3~4 years before the US/PAL release.

It's infamous for being brutally difficult, with CPU opponents often having better cards than you could wish to have.
(Looking at you, Henshin !!!)
The game also differs from the TCG rules (and the anime) by allowing you to combine monsters to create new monsters.
However, doing so means that you are closer to being decked out...
It also restricts you to placing one card each turn so forget about using magic spells, you'll get mauled by the enemy.

It's better than the old Game Boy games but not by much...

After this, several (tons) GBA games were released. One of them is even based on the GX Anime series !
Sadly, i played none of them extensively. Maybe i will do a review of some of them in the future.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Power of Chaos: Yugi the Destiny

Power of Chaos was released in discount shops such as Gifi at the low price of 10$.
However, this game is perhaps the biggest travesty i have ever witnessed.
Simply put : there's only one opponent, no animations, no story, NOTHING !
It's more boring than the Gameboy games i swear !

AVOID

Yu-Gi-Oh : Nightmare Troubadour

Nightmare Troubadour is quite an improvement over Forbidden Memories, let alone the GBA games.
Managing your deck with the stylus is much easier and the graphics were also vastly improved.

It doesn't have an amazing storyline (even though it's based on the old Anime series) but it still makes things a bit more interesting.
It becomes quite boring after you defeated Gozaburo and Noah though.

At the time, i was complaining about the lack of support for Wi-fi. (it was released shortly before Mario Kart NDS)
However, this does not matter now as servers are now dead.

Interesting note : the game has some kind of a primitive "love" system.
The more duel and trade cards with him, the more he/she likes you.
Hell, you can even befriend with Pegasus !

At the time, this was a great addition to the NDS's library. (especially at launch)
It did not aged very well in my opinion though, especially compared to newer installments.

After Nightmare Troubadour, tons and tons of Yu-Gi-Oh games were released for the NDS (and the PSP).
They weren't received well by the press, especially since most of them were rehashes of Nightmare troubadour.
After the last 5D's game was released in 2011, we got no Yu-Gi-Oh games until Legacy of the Duelists came out.
I heard that it's a pretty good game but sadly, i haz no monez.

Yu-Gi-Oh : Duel Links

Duel Links is perhaps the biggest leap to Yu-Gi-Oh games since Nightmare Troubadour.
The online-aspect of the game, even though it's quite minimal, makes it hard to go back to the old games.

Compared to card game, some changes were made :
- The Magic/Trap and Monsters were reduced to 3.
- Each character has a special ability that can alter the game. (Bandit Keith for example can swap one card for another random card)

This might sound like they crippled the game but in the real game, you rarely have more than 3 monsters on the field anyway.
Plus, it's makes it easier to make a comeback victory.

The game has a PvP arena where you can fight friends or random opponents.
I would lie if i said that all duels run smoothly but most of the time, they do. (even with a crappy wifi connection)
The game also contains a chat but it contains a filter for swear words.
(my guess is that Apple imposed it to Konami and Konami brought that "feature" to the Android version as well)

Most of the time is not spent in the PvP arena though, even though you could.
Instead, you farm for cards and gems by fighting CPU opponents. They respawn every 4 hours or when you fill all the missions objective.
(in order to go to the next stage)

What keeps you entertained are the numerous events this game has.
Sometimes, it's the boring ones like the additional Bonus but sometimes, it's a bit more involved like the Pegasus, Bakura or the KC Cup.

It's not a perfect game (events mostly look like the same right now and once you reach a high stage, there's not much to do)
but it's mildly entertaining for most people.
It has micro-transitions but it's only to respawn enemies faster or buy more cards via the shop.

I would suggest you give it a try (unless you boycott Konami due to the Kojima fallout)
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

I didn't even know a Yu-Gi-Oh game was available on the original Game Boy. I thought it all started on the PSOne and GBC. To be honest, if I would have gotten more into Yu-Gi-Oh, it would probably have been Sacred Cards, because I was often told that it was by far the easiest in terms of difficulty. Yu-Gi-Oh games are notorious for being some of the hardest games ever made. Even Ghost N Goblins and Ninja Gaiden won't come close. Also, Forbidden Memories has that issue where all the rules were changed. My bro seemed to enjoy the real card game (although he stopped since it was essentially pay-to-win), as well as the World Championship GBA/DS games and Sacred Cards more, as they were less frustrating. I think that sometimes, part of the reason why the games are so hard is because you often start with a crappy deck and end up being matched vs people with twice better decks right from the start and unless you're a die-hard Yu-Gi-Oh player, you stand no chance.

Also, what I don't get is why every single Yu-Gi-Oh game are copyrighted 1996, even though they came out much later. Another thing is that one of the GBA game (I think Eternal Duelist Souls, but I'm unsure) was reviewed by some popular French magazine in 2003-04 and it became the only video game to be flagged as Insurmontable/impossible in the difficulty section of the game info. Even getting 17K points at Opossum Massage Simulator CE Edition is easier
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 05, 2017, 10:04:13 PM
I didn't even know a Yu-Gi-Oh game was available on the original Game Boy.
Me neither ! It's the only one for the original Gameboy.
Also, i played the game a bit more and you can unlock the Blue Eyes White Dragon by playing against any CPUs.
But you know what i discovered ?
Every duelist, from Bandit Keith, to Mai, PaNiK etc... has several copies of the Blue-Eyes White Dragon. O_O
Only Tristan does not have it.

I have several copies of that card (4 in fact, there's no limit) and now i can beat my opponents quite easily.

QuoteAlso, Forbidden Memories has that issue where all the rules were changed
Other than the Fusion thingy, it follows the "Anime" rules before the Battle City Arc.
Ever wondered why Kaiba summoned the Blue-Eyes White without tribute summons ? Yeah. :P

QuoteMy bro seemed to enjoy the real card game (although he stopped since it was essentially pay-to-win), as well as the World Championship GBA/DS games and Sacred Cards more, as they were less frustrating. I think that sometimes, part of the reason why the games are so hard is because you often start with a crappy deck and end up being matched vs people with twice better decks right from the start and unless you're a die-hard Yu-Gi-Oh player, you stand no chance.g
It has become quite a mess, although the focus has changed to Effect Monsters since the late 2000 but indeed,
sometimes you can pay up to 5$ for a single card... (look for Skill Drain)

I wish your bro was on codewalrus :<

QuoteAlso, what I don't get is why every single Yu-Gi-Oh game are copyrighted 1996
LoL, i don't know why either. I think this is due to an agreement Konami has with the artist.

QuoteAnother thing is that one of the GBA game (I think Eternal Duelist Souls, but I'm unsure) was reviewed by some popular French magazine in 2003-04 and it became the only video game to be flagged as Insurmontable/impossible in the difficulty section of the game info.
I need try that game out... :P

gameblabla

Also, i just realized that in Dark Duel Stories, you can combine monsters, like in Forbidden Memories.
Some monsters also have primitive effects but not all, even the ones that are supposed to.
Anyway, it makes the game a little more easier but not much more enjoyable.

Plus, it's slower than the B&W game since you have to manually end the turn now.

p2

Quote from: gameblabla on April 05, 2017, 12:38:48 AM

OMG
except the one in the right bottom corner, these are EXACTLY the cards I grew up with, the first cards I ever had!!
Man eating bug, ugly stone giant, the creepy puppet thingy, blue mermaid girl, stupid guardian that BEFFLES his enemies (look at the screenie), ...

Is there something like different Generations in YuGiOh?
and if so, is there a game that only has the monsters from this generation?  O.O

Also really impressive post, thx for that
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

gameblabla

Quote from: p2 on May 09, 2017, 02:22:38 PM
Is there something like different Generations in YuGiOh?
and if so, is there a game that only has the monsters from this generation?  O.O
You could say so yeah.

The first generation was more relying on normal monsters with buffed magic cards.
At that time, the beatdown strategy (4-stars monsters with high attack) was the most effective.
Battle Ox, The Genie of the Lamp, Gemini Elf, Mechanical-chaser etc...
At the time, effect monsters were not uncommon but they existed (Man Eater for example).

But then Cyberdragon appeared and everything shifted to it.
In addition, cards like Jinzo came out and could completely lock down your opponent.

But that generation came to an end with the introduction of Synchro monsters and effect monsters with special summons capabilities.
From there, everything went wrong...

In one single turn, you can fill your field with powerful monsters !
Synchro monsters basically made the old-polymerization strategy obsolete and if you want to counter them effectively,
you seriously need a good hand and plenty of swords of revealing light or use Synchro monsters.
Also, some synchro monsters have a nasty effect that comes along with it, like banishing effects...

This became even worse with the introduction of XYZ monsters : It's now even more easier to summon them.
Seriously, you could spend your time jacking off while your opponent spends the whole time trying to summon his monsters to summon his XYZ monsters...

TLDR; Synchro & XYZ monsters killed the game.

p2

can u recommend a site where I can find all the good old ones?
seeing the ones I grew up with again after such a long time feels great <3

thx for this topic <3
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

gameblabla

Quote from: p2 on May 10, 2017, 10:48:11 PM
can u recommend a site where I can find all the good old ones?
seeing the ones I grew up with again after such a long time feels great <3
What do you mean ? Buy the old cards ?
You can do so on Amazon or any website that sells them for that matter.

But you don't even need to buy them now...
You can use them in YGOPRO2, a fan-game made by a bunch of evil chinese men.
Almost all of the cards available in the real world are in there.
Due to copywrong issues, they put the link on discord instead.
You also have to manually download the images, either via the github repository or the image updater.

You can also see the cards at the yu-gi-oh database here :
http://db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/

gameblabla

So i was never able to recover my old review :(
This is a rewritten one
====

Yu-Gi-Oh : Reshef of Destruction was first released in 2003 in Japan but was later released the next year
for Europe & the US.

Sol Chevalsky wants to unleash Reshef and destroy the entire world !
Ishizu wastes no time and tells you and your friends everything about Reshef and what will happen to the world.
To prevent this from happening, you need to get all the millenium puzzles before Sol Chevalsky's minions
and destroy Reshef.
Meanwhile, the Neo Ghouls (lead by Bandit Keith), also want to gather the millenium puzzles at all cost.

You start with what i can describe as the one of the crappiest deck in the Yu-Gi-oh series.
Simply put, your no-tribute monsters are too weak and don't go beyond 800 ATK.
Your spells are also crap, most infamously "Sparkles" which only deals 50lp of damage.
(Each opponent starts with 8000lp...)

At first, you struggle a bit and it is not too difficult.
As soon as you face the first millenium keeper however... the difficulty ramps up considerably.
He uses monsters much stronger than you can have or even be able to use !

If you want to get better cards, you will have to either get them by winning dueling (unlikely)
or you can buy them at Solumon's card shop.
HOWEVER... the amount of DP (ingame currency) he asks for one card is insane !
A 1200-ATK beater will cost you 4000 DP, while your friends only give you 80 DP per duel.
This is required because the first millenium keeper has several monsters with 900 ATK or more.

But let's say that you have the DP required to have it... you can't even use it !
For some bulls*** reason, you also need to increase your duelist level to use a monster.
If it's not high enough, you can't put it in your deck. UGGGHHH
A simple monster with 1200 ATK requires you to increase your level to 140...
and that alone can take several days !
That's just for only one card though, don't forget that a deck has 40 cards !

Because i don't want to spend a year just so i can beat that guy,
i cheated and gave myself infinite money and maxed out my level.
I could now buy good cards like Vampire Lord, Cocoon, Nuvia, Flash Assailant etc...
With a good deck, the guy was surprisingly easy to beat.

I got my first millennium item, the necklace and it indeed confirmed Ishizu's worries :
The world became engulfed in flames, with Yugi as the only survivor.

Ishizu then tells us that to gather all the other pieces across the world.
I'm not going to spoil you everything, other than the game becomes much more difficult
after you meet Bandit Keith and going across the world does not sound as exciting
as it sounds, sorry guys.

If the game is to be believed :
Italians are dirty people living in sewers,  canadians are obessed with dinosaurs,
the chinese are still making noodles at the great wall of china and
some egyptians still believe in the ancient egyptian gods... yeah.

Also, Mai Valentine being constantly harrased by some guy.

The difficulty spikes right when you fight Marik.
Despite the fact that i cheated, i still managed to lose !

That's because he runs 3 copies of Raigeki, Change of Heart and Pot of Greed,
even though you are only allowed 1 copy of each "Limited" cards but the AI is not under such restriction !

You head off to Pegasus' island and it becomes even more difficult : your opponent starts with 10,000LP.
And you have no way to regenerate your LP between duels without going back to your house !

Pegasu's island is the one of the worst and most difficult marathons i ever played,
i don't think i would have make it without save states...

After some of the most insane duels, you finally face off Sol Chevalsky,
which is none other than Pegasus being brainwashed by Reshef with a new haircut.

He starts with 20,000Lp and he uses 3 copies of Restrict, which can steal your monsters.
Again, you are limited to 1 limited card but he uses 3 copies of them x_x

But after you beat him, it's not over yet !
You're about to face Reshef and he's brutal...
He starts with 40,000lp, he has all the God cards, he has some of the most powerful cards in the game.
Not only that, but he has game-breaking cards like Change of Heart, Dark Hole, Torrential Tribute,
Raigeki etc... and the only cards immune to them are god cards !

He's constanly destroying your monsters, he keeps stealing your monsters, he's swarming you with lots
of monsters and he's stalling you with Swords of Revealing Light until he summon Ra.
If he summons Ra, Game Over because he will use it's special ability to convert his LP to effect damage,
which means your death.

Despite the fact i cheated, i lost countless of times to him.
But i eventually managed to win by summoning Ra before him.

Conclusion

The game's difficulty is brutal but it's not based on your skills and it is by no means fair.
To make up for the game's limited AI, it gave them enormous Life points and no restrictions on cards.
It also made the cards much more expensive to buy, while giving you very few DP.
As you soon as you get better cards, the game becomes suddenly easier.
This is difficulty done wrong.

No sane human being can finish this game without spending a year trying to finish it or without cheats.

This is probably one of the hardest game in the series, if not the hardest.

On the upside, the plot is definitively interesting.
It's an alternative take on the OG series and it's quite surprising seeing Bandit Keith
actually causing trouble.
But it's not worth the investment required, unless you intend to cheat of course.

The game also suffers from annoying issues like the crappy countinous effect detector.
Summon Silfer and the game will remind you that its attack gets increased based on your hand,
each f***ing time a move is made : It can pop up like 5 times each turn !
Why even bother konami ?

Try it if you have 1 year to waste and want a challenge.
(or you want to cheat and see the plot by yourself)

gameblabla

After the abomination that was Reshef of Destruction, i decided to see if Konami learned
from their mistakes on the same platform.

2 years after the US release of Reshef, they made "Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - Duel Academy" in January 2006 in Japan and the US for the GBA.
It's not know if it got a proper release in Europe though...
Very few copies were released in Europe and only in the UK∕Germany it seems.

This game is based on season 1 of the then-new Yu-Gi-oh! GX series.
You play as you in the Duel Academy and you got selected after impressing the councellor.

The goal is to score high at the exams and duel everyone you encounter.
I mean, EVERYONE. And don't waste time !

Anyway unlike Reshef of Destruction, the game starts you with a tutorial...
except that it is excessive in lengh and content.
Nobody will want to sit and watch for 3O minutes watching the CPU play the game for us...

I skipped it anyway because i already know how to play Yu-Gi-Oh!.
Speaking of the game itself, it is a much better recreation of the card game than Reshef
which screwed over the rules.

No crappy continuous monster effect detection, better graphics, managing your deck
is more pleasing than it was in Reshef and overall, it feels much more polished than previous games.

Getting cards is much easier than it was in Reshef and much more fair.
Plus, you start with 3000DP thanks to your parents which makes things easier.

Unfortunately, where the game fails is the plot.
Simply put most of the time, you're on your own and not much happens.
It's slow-paced and outside of dueling, there's not much to do.
Clearly, it was an after-thought for Konami.

After a while, you need to pass a test at the academy.
The "Theorical" test can not be easy, even if you know the game well,
and you have limited time to answer each question.
The "Practical" test is easy though, just make sure to destroy at least 10 monsters by battle.

I got the perfect score of 500/500.
Despite this, they let me know that i'm still an "Apprentice" because i did not duel enough people !

If you want to study segregation, this is the game you need to play.
Silfer Red is the lowest-ranked of the three dorms and most people there drop out.
Your professor even goes as far as to conspire against them and trick them into expelling them !

Then you have people like Chazz Princeton treating you like the lowest of the scums,
because you're a Silfer red and Alexis Rhodes calling you weak, even tho you beat the s*** of them at the exams.

If you don't "upgrade", then you can't talk them, simple.

Anyway, i didn't finish the game because it's too slow-paced and kind of boring.
Especially since i've also played Yu-Gi-Oh Tag Force for the PSP, which is in the same vein
but so much better.

Also, the music is a bit better in quality : it certainly does not sound like a Game boy color game,
which Reshef did at times unfortunately...

Conclusion

It's a marked improvement over the prequels but i would recommend you play the newer games in the series instead.
If you have a GBA though and you want to play a Yu-Gi-Oh game, it's probably your only option.
Be careful though because the game can be expensive, especially the European version complete with box.