Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New member introductions: Say hello here!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 20, 2014, 02:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: utz on June 29, 2015, 07:58:13 PM
@Eiyeron Yep, that'd be me ;)

Yay! \m/ I liked the way your musics were. Very good work fighting the format's limitations! :D
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: utz on June 29, 2015, 07:58:13 PM
@DJ Omnimaga Woah, you'll have to get me up to date about those "changes" one day. Yeah, the bandcamp is fairly new, created it for the release of my beeper album last year. Anyway, glad to hear you enjoy my music... yours rulez, too!

Well, in summary, many people either no longer felt welcome on Omni or became unhappy about administration and eventually, they gave up and this new site was started. This new site only got first discussed in June 2014 and founded in October, but honestly it was only a matter of time before it happens, because the writing was on the wall for at least 3 years. Not that Omnimaga's current policies are necessarily bad, but many CW members joined Omni before the new Omni policies were fully implemented. This site has policies similar to what Omnimaga had when I still ran it (I stepped down in July 2011).

Drama-aside, glad that you like my music :) I haven't done anything in a long while, though. I need to find new ideas. >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Quote from: utz on June 28, 2015, 09:13:07 PM
Ohai... so this is where everybody has been hanging out :p

Ermmm... well... I'm utz. I make 1bit/chip/calculator music, run a blog about oldskool computer art, and occasionally code some asm stuff for TI calcs, mainly older models.
Sorry little late but Welcome to CodeWalr.us :)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

utz

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone, and thanks DJ_O for explaining stuff ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Dream of Omnimaga

No problem :)

By the way, have you considered making music for the 15 MHz calculators?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

utz

Weeeeell... have I considered it? Yes, certainly. Am I going to get around to doing it? Probably not in the near future. I mean right now I'm busy with a big project for 6 MHz, and after that I want to take a good look at my newly obtained 92+. Also, I still don't own a 15 MHz model. But generally speaking I'm definately interested in write a driver specifically for 15 MHz, as it should allow for some amazing tricks. Current drivers are nowhere near pushing the limits.

alexgt

Quote from: utz on July 01, 2015, 11:29:05 PM
Weeeeell... have I considered it? Yes, certainly. Am I going to get around to doing it? Probably not in the near future. I mean right now I'm busy with a big project for 6 MHz, and after that I want to take a good look at my newly obtained 92+. Also, I still don't own a 15 MHz model. But generally speaking I'm definately interested in write a driver specifically for 15 MHz, as it should allow for some amazing tricks. Current drivers are nowhere near pushing the limits.
Awesome! a little while ago I was looking for some music for my Ti-84+
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: utz on July 01, 2015, 11:29:05 PM
Yeah I am definitively curious about how far the limits can be pushed on 15 MHz calcs. We got TI-Boy SE and QuadPlayer which pushes them far with 4 channel audio and TruSound which has good wav sound, but is it the max the calc can do?

It's a shame that newer calcs no longer have a link port, though. Now we will have to rely on USB sound.

utz

Well, 4 channels is very well possible on 6 MHz, so a 15 MHz machine should definately be able to do more. Register availability eventually will become a more serious bottleneck than CPU speed, but 6-8 channels should nevertheless be doable.

Regarding the missing link port, If I interpret Brandonw's twitter remarks correctly, the linkport is technically still there, it's just not wired out anymore. So in theory one could be build in, but I doubt many people are going to do that.

Also I recently posted some thought about USB sound on Cemetech, but nobody really responded :o So I'll copy it here, maybe someone wants to follow up on the idea.

Had some thoughts on how to get sound out of the 84+ CE. I'm not going to try and implement it myself since I don't have a CE and there is no point in getting one for me either, but I thought I'd share the idea anyway.

Well, as you know we can't use the analogue link port anymore :( But what we can use is the D- line of the USB. So the first step is to make an USB -> sound adapter.
Basically you'd just need to connect pin 2 (white line) to the tip of a mono jack, and connect pin 4 (black) to the ground. Perhaps it'd need some extra resistors/caps/whatever though, who knows.

Now for the software side. First, one should probably power off the USB. Now to make sound, you can use the usual link port tricks, alas only in mono (but with 2 volume levels). Instead of using the link port however, you'd toggle bits 3 and 4 of port 0x4A. Right?

DISCLAIMER: It's just an idea, and my knowledge of both USB stuff and electronics is very limited. So unless you feel like blowing up your brand new CE, don't try this at home folks ;)

Unicorn

Sounds like this could be something awesome! Maybe you should make a topic ;)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I also am pushing things here and there to gather infos for creating some kind of game-based soundcard for TI calcs (Casio too if that's possible), if you're interested into my ideas and discuss with me about how I could build the hardware thing, I'd be glad to talk with you.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

utz

@Duke "Tape" Eiyeron: Sorry to disappoint you... but I know literally nothing about building hardware. I think keonie29 is the man you want to talk to, he built a sound thingy for the 84+ a while back.

@Unicorn: Yeah, probably it'll get overlooked here... on the other hand, as I mentioned I don't have a CE and don't plan on getting one, so I don't really have any good reasons to follow up on the idea. I'm just throwing this out here in case maybe someone else wants to pick it up.

Edit: Ah, so @ddressing users does work around here! Not sure how I messed it up before.

Unicorn

@utz it sometimes works for some people.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

@Cumred_Snektron nor me or alexgt, I wonder if its a permissions problem.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???