Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Get your own dynamic animated scrollt text banner!

Started by DarkestEx, March 04, 2018, 06:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Good evening,

back in late 2015, I have developed code to automatically generate a dynamic, animated gif, scroll text for my signature.
You can see it in action down below.

It is capable of displaying live content as can be seen by the date changing.
I could easily add support for displaying my latest posts or some kind of live ticker.

The script is caching the .gif so it is not always regenerated, but this delay can be set to preference.
There is a ton of configuration options that can be found in the configuration file.

I have finally decided to open-source my old and not very polished code, so that people can have fun with it here.
If someone wants me to host their banner, just post down below. It will need a copyright free background and a copyright free font.

So here's the code: https://gist.github.com/bmuessig/fd33426523d5b6a7d845a5985c6c8f8f

And my signature banner in action:

Cheers!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

_iPhoenix_

This is really cool.

Maybe you could create an online service, where you can pass in text as a parameter in the URL, and it creates the same GIF.

This would be rather intensive on your server, though, I'd imagine.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

DarkestEx

Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on March 04, 2018, 07:33:48 PM
This is really cool.

Maybe you could create an online service, where you can pass in text as a parameter in the URL, and it creates the same GIF.

This would be rather intensive on your server, though, I'd imagine.
I fear you're right with your assumption.
But I could still host them on a per-user basis.
So if anyone's interested, just post ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2