Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Calculator Programming Questions

Started by Dudeman313, January 28, 2016, 12:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

I was just wondering a couple things about calc programming.

- How come Axe cannot be used for color calculators?
- Could an ASM prgm on a TI-84+ run using the exact same code on a CE?
- What about basic?
- Technically, shouldn't the TI-84+ CE be able to display grayscale?
- What would happen if you sent a .8xp TI-BASIC prgm made on a TI-84 to a color calculator and tried to run it?
- How hard would porting be from the TI-84+ to a TI-84+ CE?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

c4ooo

Quote from: Dudeman313 on January 28, 2016, 12:10:42 AM
- How come Axe cannot be used for color calculators?
- Could an ASM prgm on a TI-84+ run using the exact same code on a CE?
- What about basic?
- Technically, shouldn't the TI-84+ CE be able to display grayscale?
- What would happen if you sent a .8xp TI-BASIC prgm made on a TI-84 to a color calculator and tried to run it?
- How hard would porting be from the TI-84+ to a TI-84+ CE?
-The CE and SE have different CPUs; the SE, CSE, and CE all have different methods for drawing to the screen. Axe will need to be rewritten to compile to the CSE or CE.
-No, once again, the two use diiferent CPUs
-Yes; if it pure basic
-You can display the colors white grey, as well as different shades of grey, but it is still different from how the lcd works on the regular ti84.
-Some aspects will look different, but it will 'work'.
-Porting asm or tibasic?

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Snektron

The Ti-84+ CE's processor (ez80) is actually a kind of 24 bit processor. While most of the opcodes are the same it for example needs 24 bit addressing instead of 16 bit (ld hl, 0x1234 would be 0x21 0x34 0x12 on the Z80, but 0x21 0x34 0x21 0x00 on the eZ80).
Also axe cannot be used for the CSE because the OS's routines are different. You could probably write a patcher for it, but writing your own compiler would be easier...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dudeman313

Oh, alright.
Can a TI-84+ Silver C and a TI-84+ CE run the same programs?
Or could a TI-84 SE and a TI-84 SC run the same programs?
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

@c4ooo sometimes it's not just the hardware differences that breaks ASM compatibility between calculators, but also TI-OS differences. Some memory areas change between each model, so all games and softwares requires some modifications to work on the new model and vice-versa. With the color models you also have to change how stuff is displayed on the different screen.

This is why TI-83 ASM programs will not work on the TI-83 Plus. This is a tutorial on getting programs to work between the 82, 83 and 83+ by the way, but it's old, so it doesn't exclude the color models. http://tifreakware.net/tutorials/multi/unification.html

BASIC games for the 83 will often run on the 83+ and CSE ones will run on the CE if they use no ASM libraries, because the language is nearly identical between both calcs and unlike ASM and Axe, it is interpreted and built into the OS. But picture format is different between color and monochrome models.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

But what about ASM programs between the TI-84+ CE and TI-84+ Silver C? Are they the same, like ticalc.org implies?

EDIT: :walrii:
The answer is "Sure."

Unicorn

Quote from: Dudeman313 on January 28, 2016, 02:17:36 AM
But what about ASM programs between the TI-84+ CE and TI-84+ Silver C? Are they the same, like ticalc.org implies?
The ASM programs are not the same, but the BASIC ones are, as long as the BASIC ones don't require Doors CSE
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dudeman313

I guess I'm getting a TI-84+ CE then. :P
The answer is "Sure."

Dudeman313

To port something like Line++ to the CE that I just got yesterday, what would need to be changed in the code, or would a rewrite be required? If anyone could help me, this could be my first coding project.
The answer is "Sure."

alexgt

Well Line++ is written in Axe and Axe isn't available for the CE so yes you would need to rewrite it :/
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah and I doubt hybrid BASIC would be fast enough for such game (scrolling-wise). You would need to do it in C unless you don't mind only getting a few frames per second. Perhaps it could be adapted to hybrid BASIC once DCE comes out by having the screen only scroll once you reach the top, like in Super Mario Bros 2 USA, but such game would still be hard to make anyway.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Oh.
:P
I wonder how that Mario for the CE is going?
The answer is "Sure."

SiphonicSugar

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 01, 2016, 04:34:06 PM
Yeah and I doubt hybrid BASIC would be fast enough for such game (scrolling-wise). You would need to do it in C unless you don't mind only getting a few frames per second. Perhaps it could be adapted to hybrid BASIC once DCE comes out by having the screen only scroll once you reach the top, like in Super Mario Bros 2 USA, but such game would still be hard to make anyway.
Wait, what's that?
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

alexgt

If you are wondering what Hybrid basic is, it is Ti-BASIC but with Asm code in it to make it mush faster. You can also use libraries. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong since I have never really used it :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX