Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Spaze Invaders v1.0.1 (TI-84+CSE & CE)

Started by JamesV, February 16, 2016, 01:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesV

From the last couple of months of starting my way into transitioning over to TI-84+CE assembly coding, I think any TI-83/83+/84+ assembly coders could make the jump without too much difficulty. The concepts are all essentially the same, it's just a case of remembering that the multi-byte registers are now 24-bit instead of 16-bit, and also just a few little LCD things such as setting the bits per pixel mode and setting up a colour palette, and (if required) using vram flipping.

I've got my own little BMP/PNG to ASM/BIN Windows command line program that can take images and generate .asm or .bin files in either 8bpp or 4bpp. I'll eventually release this program once I've cleaned it up a little and added a few more features. I believe Mateo has his own similar program as well. So creating and converting images & sprites will be fairly straight forward.

Dudeman313

I just now looked closer at that GIF :P. The title screen is so cool!

EDIT:
WHAT?!?! Can it really be? A release!
I was on your website(bored, not stalking...) and saw it! Downloaded and sending right now! @JamesV ! This should be in the news!
:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 17, 2016, 10:31:31 PM
I just now looked closer at that GIF :P. The title screen is so cool!

EDIT:
WHAT?!?! Can it really be? A release!
I was on your website(bored, not stalking...) and saw it! Downloaded and sending right now! @JamesV ! This should be in the news!
:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:
It is now available for download, yes :)

Dudeman313

I found a bug. :( When I got the game over message, after playing on Medium, the game went to the title screen. Instead of pressing [2nd], I pressed [clear], to exit. It crashed. I can't get my scores back on Calcuzap and CMonster, as they are kept in RAM(maybe that should be changed), but Phasm restored Celsium to my calculator. :walrii:

EDIT:
This could be because the program was archived, hidden, or ran from Celsium.
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 22, 2016, 12:03:52 PM
I found a bug. :( When I got the game over message, after playing on Medium, the game went to the title screen. Instead of pressing [2nd], I pressed [clear], to exit. It crashed. I can't get my scores back on Calcuzap and CMonster, as they are kept in RAM(maybe that should be changed), but Phasm restored Celsium to my calculator. :walrii:

EDIT:
This could be because the program was archived, hidden, or ran from Celsium.
Mmm just did some testing and everything was fine, until the program was "hidden". I think this is the issue, due to the program write back used to save the high score. I'll do some further testing and if this is the case, I'll rectify it :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to see this released. I'll try it when I have some time :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

I was playing this game, and I got a crowd of people to marvel at the HD-ness of my cool color graphics. :P
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

There is a bug in the current release version: if you are using Cesium and you have prgmSPAZE "hidden", the game will crash on exit due to an issue with the high score saving. I should have v1.0.2 uploaded in the next 24-48 hours with a fix for this - sorry for anyone who has been affected!

Dream of Omnimaga

By hidden, do you mean like with MirageOS where you can hide programs from the PRGM menu? What exactly caused the crash with highscore saving when the program is hidden?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 01, 2016, 04:02:54 AM
By hidden, do you mean like with MirageOS where you can hide programs from the PRGM menu? What exactly caused the crash with highscore saving when the program is hidden?
Correct - the issue was that upon quitting, the code would search for prgmSPAZE and write the high score, but due to silly forgetfulness on my part, I didn't allow for the possibility of prgmSPAZE not being found. So when the program is hidden, the high score is written to a random part of memory O.o

I'm finalising the patch to fix this now and will be uploading shortly :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see lol. Is it possible to save highscores even when a program is hidden, or is writeback just out of the question in such case?

Also if you would like your game appearing in the CW downloads section James, feel free to add the ticalc.org file page URL in the first post of this topic and I can make the topic appear in both forum sections. :)

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 01, 2016, 06:56:11 PM
Ah I see lol. Is it possible to save highscores even when a program is hidden, or is writeback just out of the question in such case?

Also if you would like your game appearing in the CW downloads section James, feel free to add the ticalc.org file page URL in the first post of this topic and I can make the topic appear in both forum sections. :)
If it's hidden by Cesium, then it will be able to find itself to save the highscore, as it now accounts for the method that Cesium uses to "hide" programs.

v1.0.2 with the fix is now available for download here.

Dream of Omnimaga

Dudeman313

How come it's only in the CSE directory? Is it compatible between the two, or are both versions within the same zip?
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 01, 2016, 09:22:54 PM
How come it's only in the CSE directory? Is it compatible between the two, or are both versions within the same zip?
I might have stuffed something up during the upload - I'll see if I can get that fixed. But yes, both CSE & CE are in the same zip :)