Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

SDL/n2DLib ports for TI Nspire

Started by gameblabla, August 19, 2015, 08:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for the clarification. It's a shame that SDL 1.2 support was dropped before C64 emulation got added. As for Dizzy I'll probably try them anyway at some point, but are they as bad as LJN games, Big Rigs, Hong Kong 97 and CrazyBus? Or are they just bad because they're unforgivingly hard/impossible to beat without the guide?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 13, 2016, 01:17:18 AM
As for Dizzy I'll probably try them anyway at some point, but are they as bad as LJN games, Big Rigs, Hong Kong 97 and CrazyBus? Or are they just bad because they're unforgivingly hard/impossible to beat without the guide?
They are not that bad but they are very unforgiving and they don't give you any clue to where you need to go, i hate this kind of game.

So guess what guys ?
I tried to port a Microbee and a Thomson TO9 emulator and they both give me a black screen on Ti nspire CX...
That puzzles me... Why ?
I will upload the source code for both emulators on github but fortunely, i was able to port another emulator.

Yeah, that's an Apple I emulator.
I must say that the Apple I was a very primitive computer compared to even its sucessor.

Porting it to TI nspire was not easy and it took me a while to get things working.
Unfortunely, you won't be able to load/save memory on this version due to technical difficulties but other than that,
you have access to everything else, including the 8k RAM expension.

EDIT: Fixed the key mapping, might work faster on CR4 revisions.
EDIT2: Now working properly on CR4 revisions.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

critor

Nice :D

Can we load other ROM files than Basic ?

I've noticed I don't need to tell the emu about the "basic.rom" file and just have to type "E000R" tun run Basic, so I wonder.

I've also noticed the Basic is a 4K ROM file, when all ROMs sites I could find up to now are providing much bigger WAV files.

gameblabla

Quote from: critor on April 17, 2016, 09:59:11 AM
Can we load other ROM files than Basic ?

I've noticed I don't need to tell the emu about the "basic.rom" file and just have to type "E000R" tun run Basic, so I wonder.

I've also noticed the Basic is a 4K ROM file, when all ROMs sites I could find up to now are providing much bigger WAV files.
I honestly don't know but it doesn't seem to designed to load other roms.
I have a libSDL version that is designed to load memory files but that version is insanely slow
and input doesn't work properly anyway...

critor

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, the keymap doesn't seem perfect.

I've been able to get the following special characters :
#!",?+-*/

But I couldn't get the following characters, which are still required for some decent Basic programming :
()=;<>:

I've even tried the ctrl+shift key modifiers but they don't seem to change anything at all.

Ivoah

Quote from: gameblabla on April 17, 2016, 04:57:11 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 13, 2016, 01:17:18 AM
As for Dizzy I'll probably try them anyway at some point, but are they as bad as LJN games, Big Rigs, Hong Kong 97 and CrazyBus? Or are they just bad because they're unforgivingly hard/impossible to beat without the guide?
They are not that bad but they are very unforgiving and they don't give you any clue to where you need to go, i hate this kind of game.

So guess what guys ?
I tried to port a Microbee and a Thomson TO9 emulator and they both give me a black screen on Ti nspire CX...
That puzzles me... Why ?
I will upload the source code for both emulators on github but fortunely, i was able to port another emulator.

Yeah, that's an Apple I emulator.
I must say that the Apple I was a very primitive computer compared to even its sucessor.

Porting it to TI nspire was not easy and it took me a while to get things working.
Unfortunely, you won't be able to load/save memory on this version due to technical difficulties but other than that,
you have access to everything else, including the 8k RAM expension.
Wow, this looks great! Would an Apple ][ emulator be possible, or is it too "advanced" for the Nspire?
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

gameblabla

Quote from: critor on April 17, 2016, 12:03:45 PM
#!",?+-*/
But I couldn't get the following characters, which are still required for some decent Basic programming :
()=;<>:
I've even tried the ctrl+shift key modifiers but they don't seem to change anything at all.
Yes, it's not perfect because i had to manually program it one by one...
Could please tell me what the "()=;<>:" keys are mapped to in ndless ?
Because i have no idea...

QuoteWow, this looks great! Would an Apple ][ emulator be possible, or is it too "advanced" for the Nspire?
It should be entirely possible, thanks to the TI nspire keys.
I simply need to find an adequate emulator for that...

critor

Quote from: gameblabla on April 17, 2016, 01:35:32 PM
Quote from: critor on April 17, 2016, 12:03:45 PM
#!",?+-*/
()=;<>:
Yes, it's not perfect because i had to manually program it one by one...
Could please tell me what the "()=;<>:" keys are mapped to in ndless ?
Because i have no idea...
Some symbols should be directly accessible from the keypad :
- KEY_NSPIRE_LP : (
- KEY_NSPIRE_RP : )
- KEY_NSPIRE_EQU : =

You may map : to KEY_NSPIRE_FRAC .

Other symbols would still be problem :
<>;

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice to see an Apple 1 emulator on the CX. :) But that screenshot... It says "DJ LOVES HEN@" O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: critor on April 17, 2016, 03:56:17 PM
Some symbols should be directly accessible from the keypad :
- KEY_NSPIRE_LP : (
- KEY_NSPIRE_RP : )
- KEY_NSPIRE_EQU : =

You may map : to KEY_NSPIRE_FRAC .

Other symbols would still be problem :
<>;
Okay thanks, i have updated Pom1 to reflect that. (a few posts above)
To type either "<" or ">", hold Ctrl or Shift and then press the "()" buttons.

Also critor, can you please test it on a TI nspire CR4 revision ?
I might have fixed the speed issues...

QuoteIt says "DJ LOVES HEN@" O.O

critor

Yes, it's faster on CR4.
It doesn't trigger the compatibility mode anymore, but the display is wrong though.

^ I've just opened pom and typed 0123456789.

gameblabla

Quote from: critor on April 17, 2016, 05:39:52 PM
Yes, it's faster on CR4.
It doesn't trigger the compatibility mode anymore, but the display is wrong though.

That's what i thought...
I might revert back to compatibility mode, because i still don't understand it doesn't work on CR4...
(It works on my nspire, it doesn't help i don't own a CR4 one...)

critor

Adriweb

(On recent Firebird builds (http://pimathbrainiac.me/firebird/ for some nightly binaries), you can indeed choose to emulate a CR4 hardware)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

gameblabla

Quote from: Adriweb on April 17, 2016, 06:10:02 PM
(On recent Firebird builds (http://pimathbrainiac.me/firebird/ for some nightly binaries), you can indeed choose to emulate a CR4 hardware)
Ha, didn't know that, thanks.
Unfortunely, i have to reinstall everything, even the OS. Nooooo

EDIT: Anyway, it's fixed now, thanks to firebird.