Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Read before posting your files

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 14, 2014, 02:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

This section of the forum is where you can publish games that you have finished or that are in advanced stages. The files can be linked to or uploaded as attachments, but there are guidelines to follow when posting them to ensure that they won't be rejected. If your upload does not meet the criterias, it will be moved to this section in the appropriate category.

1) We accept games and programs for every platform (mobile, calculators, consoles, computers (vintage or modern), PICO-8, web, etc)

2) All files must include an executable and a readme.txt with instructions. They can be in ZIP, RAR or any other compressed archive that can be opened on Windows.

3) Files must not contain any material that violates CodeWalrus forum rules. NSFW content will be marked with NSFW tags, but blatant adult content and hate speech will not be allowed at all.

4) Programs must meet a certain level of quality in order to be accepted in the archives. For example, a number guessing game or a three minutes-long RPG Alpha build will not make it through.

5) Files must be uploaded by posting a new topic in this sub-forum:
-Subject: [Platform] Game Title
-Topic content: Description (screenshots are optional, but recommended), followed by download
-Download link: See below.

6) The download link can be either a direct post attachment or a link to the file or its info on Omnimaga, Cemetech, Ticalc, TI-Planet, Planète-Casio, HP Museum, Google Play, Apple Store, Github or SourceForge, but the download link must be easy to find.

7) All rules above are subject to change without any notice.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Hmmm, aren't Linux/OSX programs allowed ? Stuff may be cross platform but there are utilities that only run on UNIX based systems.

Dream of Omnimaga

They might be although I think Linux/OSX-only games are pretty rare, right? I guess they could be allowed too.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

Can we make it so that Linux/OSX games must also include source, so Windows people can compile them and run them on Windows? If not, that's okay, but some of us *cough*me*cough* are stuck on Windows for the foreseeable future.
Well, I'm bach here too!

novenary

You can actually run POSIX stuff on Windows with cygwin or msys but you still need to recompile it. I think including the source may be a good idea, but we can't really force people to open source their stuff. We can however make cross compiling mandatory.

pimathbrainiac

The MSYS/Cygwin thing is why I want the source. But yeah, cross compiling would be nice.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Yuki

Well, if your app is not an utility that directly deal with the kernel, it should be cross-platform. Especially games. All the Linux game engines also mostly work on Windows. The inverse might not be true because capitalism.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 15, 2014, 02:55:09 PM
You can actually run POSIX stuff on Windows with cygwin or msys but you still need to recompile it. I think including the source may be a good idea, but we can't really force people to open source their stuff. We can however make cross compiling mandatory.
Indeed. Plus I can understand why some people make their software closed-source, especially after what happened to Doors CS 7 a few months (or years?) ago.

And yeah it is required by upload rules to include an executable.

pimathbrainiac

Executables only, Gotcha. Maybe heavily suggest cross compilation for all projects, if at all possible, like juju said?
Well, I'm bach here too!

novenary

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on November 16, 2014, 12:05:35 PM
Executables only, Gotcha. Maybe heavily suggest cross compilation for all projects, if at all possible, like juju said?
Sounds like a plan.

aetios

I would suggest to use only ZIP so you can open it with any OS, without needing 3rd-party applications.
ceci n'est pas une signature

pimathbrainiac

7 Zip is free and good. We can direct them there.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I think with easy to reach and free zip softwares we can open at least .rar, .tar.gz and .zip. But non-ZIP files might be a problem on some public computers where people cannot install apps to open other file types.

pimathbrainiac

Fair enough (although 7 zip portable is a thing). Zip only it is, then.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

True, but some computers lack USB ports, CD/DVD-ROM and SD Card readers or have them blocked too. >.<