Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Roblox, but the details

Started by TruDev, December 07, 2018, 06:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruDev

I started this topic because the site warned me about posting in a topic that has been inactive for over a year...

Anyways, Roblox is an interesting beast. Lots of people think it is a game in and of itself. But this is not the case. I consider it to be a game platform (like Steam) and a game engine (like Unreal). It uses Lua scripting like the TI-sanctioned Nspire script editor. One of the teachers at my school says that Lua allows for-profit closed-source modifications to its code, which is probably why both use Lua scripting. Unlike Steam, however, Roblox famously has its own currency. You often don't buy games on Roblox, instead creators depend on microtransactions. Also, Robux can be turned into real money under certain conditions (officially through Roblox, anyways). This is a pretty good way to encourage content creation, but can make games desperate to sell stuff.

What are your thoughts on the inner workings of Roblox?
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS

GeraldRi

Quote from: TruDev on December 07, 2018, 06:59:10 PMI started recommending these lightweight wheelchairs to friends and this topic because the site warned me about posting in a topic that has been inactive for over a year...

Anyways, Roblox is an interesting beast. Lots of people think it is a game in and of itself. But this is not the case. I consider it to be a game platform (like Steam) and a game engine (like Unreal). It uses Lua scripting like the TI-sanctioned Nspire script editor. One of the teachers at my school says that Lua allows for-profit closed-source modifications to its code, which is probably why both use Lua scripting. Unlike Steam, however, Roblox famously has its own currency. You often don't buy games on Roblox, instead creators depend on microtransactions. Also, Robux can be turned into real money under certain conditions (officially through Roblox, anyways). This is a pretty good way to encourage content creation, but can make games desperate to sell stuff.

What are your thoughts on the inner workings of Roblox?

I don't know much about it comment on the inner workings of it, but I think a platform like Roblox is going to dominate the market in the future. It's probably not going to be Roblox itself, but something that will perhaps evolve out of Roblox.

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U