Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Driller kNight

Started by E37, April 01, 2017, 09:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the next release be for calc or pc?

Calc
PC

E37

Here is the newest release of Driller kNight!
I have added a huge amount of content since my last release. Eight new units and several new buildings have been added. Combat has been added to the game and giant monsters made of rock have come to destroy your base and slugs are sliding in to drain power from buildings! A story has been added to the beginning of each level and a conclusion at the end of each level. Each unit and building has a range of tasks and many have special abilities. The settings menu is well developed and allows frameskip for faster games, greyscale tuning, difficulty adjustment and more. The game takes about 10 hours to complete, but 100% completion takes more than 40 hours. It still will not run on an 83+ however.  :-\
There are 2 addons, Godmode and RandomLevels which I will release on August 19 and September 2. These add on to the original game and allow for many fun new games but aren't required to play.

Old Version

After several months of long programming sessions I have finished Driller kNight, a full length overhead mining strategy game.
It has 20 levels. Unlike most games, the levels can be chosen. You can choose between 1-3 levels to beat in order to progress deeper. The only exception is that the first 11 must all be beaten to unlock the last 9. There are 15 units and 6 buildings. It will not run on an 83+ due to lack of memory.

It may not be an on the edge of your seat excitement, but it is a fun way to pass some time.
I believe that the screenshots speak for themselves, so... here is the download.

more detailed overview

Driller kNight - Release

The controls are pretty simple. 2nd is always the select key. Press and hold it to create the drag box. Alpha selects or unselects a tile. Stat opens the menu for a unit. Pressing left or right changes the current job. (if it is a job the unit cannot have, it will change to one it can have once the menu is closed) Some units can only have one job, while others can change it. XTOn places a road on the selected tile. Delete kills the unit or building selected giving a refund if needed (select buildings by selecting their tile) The building menu only opens if you have selected a tile. Clear is always quit. Be careful not to press it too long since it will quit the level. Press mode to end the level when you have completed the goal. Pressing ON+stat pauses the game and turns the screen off. Pressing ON will resume. (If you don't press it, you can keep playing after the goal has been completed)
Once the first 11 levels have been completed, the last 9 will unlock.

Tech tree:
   Storage: recruits workers and is where resources are deposited
   Small teleport: recruits everything below Loader dozer
   Power plant: powers nearby roads
   Support station: adds 10 air a tick (almost every unit uses 1 per tick) assuming it is next to a powered road
   Large teleport: recruits every unit from Loader dozer up
   Refinement station: Generates ore and crystals
   Buildings that need to be powered must have a powered road next to their main tile (the one you selected when you built them if they have multiple)

Units: Each unit can hold one of three jobs - Driller, clearer, or collector. Drillers mine the wall they are currently on and move to a nearby one if there is one. Walls will collapse (basically mined for free) if they are not next to two other walls. Clearers act just like drillers but they target the rubble left behind after the wall is drilled. Collectors collect the ore and crystals that are left behind by the clearers and drillers. They target crystals before ore and bring them to the nearest storage.
It is your job to figure out what all the units do. Be warned that the infinity ship is huge drain on resources.
[close]
[close]
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome to see this released. I'll download it now. Hopefully I can try it soon,. I really love those graphics. :) You really did a good job at polishing this :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

I like how you spent months working on it and nobody until now noticed it :D
Maybe i should give this one a try
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

c4ooo

Nice to see another axe game - havent seen one in ages :D
Are you using runer112's greylib? Also when you scroll, you see those jagged lines in the greyscale when scrolling? I would recommend temporarily disabling greyscale when scrolling, this would fix those artifacts, and would also make scrolling faster. (I do this in <shameless plug>lazer 2</shameless plug>

Dream of Omnimaga

I think this is why more people (other than me) needs to reply to project threads. :P I used to do so regularly but real life and projects took their toll on my activity >.< (in fact I'm probably done with calc programming entirely)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

E37

I am continuing to work on Driller kNight after a short break. The game is not very stable currently. Here is a list of added features:
Combat! Monsters now appear and will become more common and powerful the more resources you have.
Many new units inducing ones dedicated to the new role of fighter/defender.
3 new buildings, two for monster defense and one for upgrading units.
Units can be upgraded infinitely with each upgrade becoming more expensive.
The power system has been reworked to make more sense.
Reworked all AIs to make them a lot smarter.
Expanded settings menu with options like difficulty, fast forward and pacifist mode.
Units now cost ore in addition to crystals so there is no giant pile up of ore late game.
Added godmode for debugging or boredom.
Units now have shields that recharge so that workers no longer have the same health as the most powerful units.
Added new unit class - epic. The progression now goes, Worker - Small units - Large units - Epic units.
Lazer units like the drill walker now occasionally fire a very powerful lazer to defend themselves.
Added control groups. You can assign a unit to a number and when you press that number, all units in that group are selected.
Changed the cursor slightly to make it easier to use.

That is all. I am going to keep working on the game regardless of any interest because I really enjoy working on it. I don't know when it will be done. Probably not for a long time because summer is coming up and I won't have as much time to work on it.
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!

p2

there still is a lot of interest dont worry ^^
Also impressive list. Good luck and have fun working on it, which os probably the most important part :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

E37

I probably won't be working on Driller kNight for a while. I am on summer break and have vacation coming up. I will be inactive in the forum in general for 2-3 weeks.  :(

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm glad to see there were updates, though. Bave a good break. I hope your summer break ending in 2-3 weeks doesn't mean school starts right afterward O.O

p2

enjoy ur free time ;)
but probably also take a look at the source at least once during that time, so u won't forget anything and can continue working on it after your time off :) (happened to me >.<)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

E37

I'm back!
There are few things left to do in the game engine - mostly small tweaks and balance issues.
Unfortunately, I have to redo all 20 levels which will be a real pain.
Things left to do:
Create all the levels. :P
Add a way to beat the levels. (this is easier than it sounds)
Various balance fixes.
As many speed optimizations as I can find.

I can post a beta of the game if anyone is actually interested in trying it.

Dream of Omnimaga

I can't play it yet but if you post thr beta I'll download it to try it later ^^

Also that seems to be a lot of work to redo all 20 levels from scratch x.x

p2

aaargh, redoing all levels? D: But why? D:
Did you lose the effort? Or did major changes to the game engine and adapting the level data would be more work than redoing them?  :ninja:

E37

I changed all the internal ID's so that there is no chance of compatible maps. I also added many new tiles and completely redid all the buildings. It would be just as easy to create new maps as to try to adapt the old ones.

p2

uuuuh that sounds like a lot of work xD
Glad you're still working on the project and didn't give up cuz it was that much to do :thumbsup: