Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Sorcery of Uvutu 84+ Series Port

Started by 123outerme, January 29, 2017, 06:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice, you're finally going with full size maps :O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 19, 2017, 06:44:49 PM
Nice, you're finally going with full size maps :O
I'm still going with each individual map at the same 12:8 aspect ratio and making each world physically smaller, but they aren't by much and should look really familiar if you've placed the CSE version.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

mazhat

Do you compress your tiles maps,
also do you have each tile as a byte (Does it use more/less)?

I'm just wondering because I want to see how viable maps are.
Thanks for reading!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

Dream of Omnimaga

Map decompression and TI-BASIC don't mix.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

mazhat

Ah, I see.
Didn't realise that xLIB was for TI-BASIC.
Regardless, I hope that there's plenty of maps :^)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

123outerme

Quote from: mazhat on April 22, 2017, 06:47:25 PM
Ah, I see.
Didn't realise that xLIB was for TI-BASIC.
Regardless, I hope that there's plenty of maps :^)

No worries about maps, there will be as many in the monochrome port as there were for the CSE version.
Along with the port, I plan to release a save transfer program, which automatically detects the type of save you have (color or mono) and transfers it to the other type.
This can be useful for backing up your save, playing on different systems, and the next bit of info...
I also plan to release a calculator-calculator battle program! Hook up two calculators (or possibly use one, having one save as the mono version, one as the color version) and battle your friend's saves, or your other calculator's saves!
So far these both haven't been written out yet, but the code would be extraordinarily simple for both. Simply just copy the battle engine, give it the ability to read both saves/communicate between calcs, modify it a bit, and done! The save transfer program could be the most difficult, but I imagine, knowing both types of save formats, as well as being able to essentially bypass changing most of the data (as most of them are flags that mean the exact same thing between versions), it wouldn't be difficult at all.

Dream of Omnimaga

How have things been going with this project by the way?

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 26, 2017, 10:42:41 PM
How have things been going with this project by the way?
Things have stalled out lately. The Discord has quieted (although that's to be expected, I'm not paying anyone), I've really stopped work on everything, but beyond maps everything is still completed.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aaah ok. Hopefully it doesn't die D:

123outerme

Quote from: xlibman on May 30, 2017, 05:41:47 AM
Aaah ok. Hopefully it doesn't die D:
I don't think it'll die, especially since I'll get bored sometime this summer. It's just that maps are obviously my least favorite part, so whenever I have anything else I might like to do (playing other games, homework, baseball, etc) I do that.

123outerme

About a week later since posting the above, progress has continued. I polished and perfected World 2 (also finishing the last two maps I needed for that), added its boss, and started work on World 3. So barring the maps I need to make, Sorcery has been completely ported over. I'd love to revamp the engine to add more story triggers and such, but I think that doing that cross-platform with a game I'm a little bit tired of working with would be too crazy. I think after this I'm definitely starting a new project, in a new genre, if one at all.

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to hear. I am happy to see World 2 almost complete :3= and the game functional :)

123outerme

Here's my progress again: This time visually! Finished W3 and all it's chests, just now starting on W4.
World Screenshots (Mono): HUGE SPOILERS!

World 1; Plain Plains

World 2; Dragon's Den

World 3; Worry Quarry

[close]

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

123outerme

Quote from: kotu on June 19, 2017, 07:56:59 PM
looks great
Thanks man! Every compliment helps eventually push me to make more maps :P

And speaking of more maps, I haven't been making any. I got a little bored with TI-Basic and started to learn some more Java, at least specifically game-making in Java. I posted this on IRC this evening:

I just want to clear up as much as I'd love to take on a third platform for my game, there's about a snowball's chance in the Sahara during the summer that this will actually come through.
In other news, I'm investigating making a game in Java and things are looking pretty good. There's tons of great documentation, my very own engine for any kind of 2D top-down perspective game is mostly finished (interacting with NPCs, moving, collision with said NPCs, etc.), with few features yet to come (maps, etc.) and it has better visibility being on computers and all that. Now of course, since I suck at art, things are gonna stay 8x8 scaled 4x (for an actual measurement of 32x32 images looking like they were made in the NES era). I'm not quite sure what kind of game I could work on, but it'll be great and possibly entertaining.