Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+/84+] Metroid II: Evolution & The Last Chozo Expansion Set (2006-2007)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 29, 2015, 08:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Metroid II: Evolution is a sequel to the game that introduced the world of Samus Aran to TI calculators, which can be found here http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/383/38359.html. The original was made by Fred Sparks (CDI) although most graphics were made by me. I teamed up with him in 2006 to produce a sequel. It features many items from the original metroid like the morph ball, the bombs, the wave beam, etc, fake walls, destroyable blocks, full of secret, awesome graphics, many traps, animations, several areas to explore (over 250 maps) and many things that will make your adrenaline increase to insane proportions while playing (lava that keep rising while you attempt to make your way to the top of the room by jumping on platforms, difficult bosses, traps and many more.

Because this game predates Axe Parser by four years, this means it is at the mercy of TI-BASIC limitations, despite using xLIB, so lag will happen. But it is one of the rare Metroid clones available for Z80 calcs. The game runs with xLIB or Doors CS 7, but glitches might happen with the latter (although it runs on OS 2.53 MP or higher, unlike xLIB)

This package includes both the original release, along with the Last Chozo Expansion Set, which features more maps, items and bosses. A 2005 demo of the game (back when it was called Diortem) is also included, featuring different enemies and maps.

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/453/45374.html
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

It looks nice but without scrolling it must be very awkward to play. O.O
the game

Dream of Omnimaga

I lost due to your small text >.<

And without scrolling it isn't that hard to play actually, since maps were designed accordingly. A remake would most likely preserve the screen by screen gameplay, although I guess it could be adapted so that maps are filled completely to allow scrolling. I would need to code the game so that when an hatch gets in the screen, the camera scrolls until the hatch reaches the edge, to prevent weird glitches.

The main issue is that due to the slow speed and tile by tile nature of the gameplay, controls are very unresponsive (there is a 0.5 seconds delay between input and character movement and sometimes controls won't respond).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

There should definitely be an Axe port of this game. I'd love to see this game running fast and smooth.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah someone should try to do it if he has enough experience. Not me, though, since I don't use Axe anymore, but I'm not ruling out an HP Prime remake (if alexgt lets me use Zampy's Quest engine :P)

Dudeman313

Or if Sorunome has time after Reuben Quest: ??? a.k.a. Reuben Quest 3 is complete...
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, since the 84+CE is much faster due to a memory-mapped LCD, I wonder if an xLIBC version would run fast enough to be fun? SInce the original game only updated two sprites every frame, regular map areas would have ran somewhat at the same speed on the CSE than the 84+, but boss battles would have been slower due to larger sprites taking longer to render on that color model. But the CE is much faster than the CSE and will soon have xLIBC, so perhaps it could be a viable alternative?

Dudeman313

I'm sure this would look awesome in color. Then again, I never played this one because there were so many files to have at once on my calculator just to play a single game. This always bothered me, so I never installed it. However, if it was at least put together as an application, I might give it a try.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Multiple files is inevitable for any decent game with significant amounts of content on older calcs. Even the CSE would have this problem. Blame the severe RAM limitations for that. At least the 84+CE has 150 KB of RAM, which alleviates this problem.

An Axe game would have the same problem because Axe apps can only be 16 KB large max, so you would still have plenty of appvars lying around like with the Axe version of Reuben.

Also the map size should explain the large size: https://img.ourl.ca/metroid2ecolor-1.png (this one is in color in case someone ever decided to make a color remake)

EDIT: Also what I find ironic is that back when everyone had the regular 83+ (6 MHz with 160 KB of flash), nobody ever complained about large games with hundreds of sub-programs. Yet, when the 84+/SE came out everyone suddenly had a problem with large games. I don't know if it's because in 2005 everyone became whiners or if it's because 83+ owners appreciated their calculator as an old-school platform more than 84+ owners did, but it was weird.

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."