Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

iPhone X

Started by Araidia, September 13, 2017, 05:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Araidia

So yeah, Apple Keynote happened, and the iPhone X was revealed. Looks cool, but look at that price tag!

$999 for 3gb of ram and 64 gb of storage
$1,149 for 3gb of ram and 256gb of storage

In comparison, a OnePlus 5 with 8gb of ram and 128gb of storage is only $539.

Yeah, maybe you want that cool screen or Face ID or Animojis, but even then, is it worth 1k? Especially when smartphones half the cost(and even less) can do the job of a smartphone perfectly?
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

Does this one explode?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Araidia

Quote from: xlibman on September 13, 2017, 05:43:40 AM
Does this one explode?
probably not?
but then the note 7 did, so anything's possible  ;D
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Adriweb

It's a very good phone (hardware+software, especially since they go together, which is why it doesn't *need* more RAM), but indeed the price is ridiculous :)
That said, as one can read on Reddit for instance, the highest range in the other brands are extremely similar, I think I read the Note 8 is like only $50 cheaper.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

c4ooo

Yuki

It's getting kinda expensive, for this price you get a pretty good PC with way higher specs. You can get pretty decent phones rivalizing with the iPhone for free with a 3-year contract at your local telco.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

_iPhoenix_

I notice subtle parallels between iphonex and iphoenix.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

JamesV

I haven't had a chance to read up on it all yet. I'm still on an iPhone 6 at the moment (with 16GB storage because the 64GB was out of stock at the time and I was impatient.. bad decision) so I'm keen to upgrade. But whether I'll go all out and get the iPhone X or just go with the iPhone 8, I'm not sure yet.

I might even just go with an iPhone 7, seeing as their price should drop off significantly over the next few months and even though I always go on 24 month plans, I struggle to justify handset repayments that get too high because I'm tight :P

TheLastMillennial

Quote from: AppleWe may not come up with the technology first, but we make sure that the technology works the best.

EDIT: If you've watched videos about "iPhone vs <enter android device here>" the iPhone does exceedingly well every time. Somehow it does a better job at managing RAM so it can get by with only 3GB where an android device would need much more to complete the same tasks. The processor is very decent (in single core) scores compared to the Snapdragon and can perform most tasks as well or almost as well as other devices.

It's still way overpriced, I'd have to sell my laptop, then a kidney to buy it.  :blah:
  • Calculators owned: HP Prime G2, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-34, Boring Sharp calculator

Thank you for your time, go make a paradox, have a good day.

Dream of Omnimaga

I heard that the iPhone X is supposed to be a luxury iPhone, but then I look at the prices of other smartphones including Android and Apple and I would say that all of them are luxury phones :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

I still stick to my iPod touch (256GB) plus a super cheap phone (nokia) since that's the cheapest way yet better in tearms of reachability since I got the insane battery lifetime  :thumbsup:

the AR features would be really cool to have, but not at that price  :ninja:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

Too expensive. I am instead trying to stick to my Nexus 5 from 3 years ago for as long as it can survive. It still works, it's just in terrible condition.

_iPhoenix_

Quote from: xlibman on September 26, 2017, 10:43:20 PM
Too expensive. I am instead trying to stick to my Nexus 5 from 3 years ago for as long as it can survive. It still works, it's just in terrible condition.

That is a great way to save money and hassle.

Don't upgrade your phone unless you absolutely need too.

Of course, Apple's job is to make it seem like you "absolutely need to get the latest phone", that's what advertising is these days.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

p2

I don't think that advertising has changed, but rather the main goals of companies...
The job of advertising has always been to attract customers and tell them to buy your products.
But where once it was QUALITY PRODUCTS, now it's MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF MONEY...
where u once got a screwdriver that was terribly expensive but lasted for half your lifetime, you now  get one for 25$ that lasts for idk? maybe a year at best?
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

SiphonicSugar

Quote from: Araidia on September 13, 2017, 05:42:57 AM
So yeah, Apple Keynote happened, and the iPhone X was revealed. Looks cool, but look at that price tag!

$999 for 3gb of ram and 64 gb of storage
$1,149 for 3gb of ram and 256gb of storage

In comparison, a OnePlus 5 with 8gb of ram and 128gb of storage is only $539.

Yeah, maybe you want that cool screen or Face ID or Animojis, but even then, is it worth 1k? Especially when smartphones half the cost(and even less) can do the job of a smartphone perfectly?

Remember this before you read this one comment: I'm not trying to be someone who is backing apple just because that is all I have used or something like that.

Anyway, doesn't iOS have much better optimization to use its memory more efficiently because its OS is not distributed to so many devices? Just a thought...

But what does annoy me is the bar at the top. The majority of software does not work with the bar that well. And I think they did claim bezel-less display but you cannot get the full viewing experience...?

Oh yeah and the $1000 price tag... Yeah I guess their products do "seem" to be premium, but... are they really? How well do they stack up against other competitors? And the OS limits a lot of the processing power they keep boasting about.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P