Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[PC] The Mysterious Cities of Gold: The Curse of Amirax (2007)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, June 25, 2015, 05:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Several years before The Mysterious Cities of Gold got a second season, I decided to make an unnoficial JRPG style sequel to the popular anime/cartoon, whose first season aired in 1982. It's rather obscure right now because not only the Youtube gameplay videos of the game were taken down from Youtube due to a copyright claim by the movie company that owned the rights of MCOG at the time, but also the Omnimaga download links for both versions of the game stopped working in March 2014.

Screenshots:

Video footage (yes, Myspace is still a thing):
https://myspace.com/dj_omnimaga/video/rm2k3-mysterious-cities-of-gold-intro/25118395
https://myspace.com/dj_omnimaga/video/rm2k3-mysterious-cities-of-gold-azimus-optional-boss-fight/25121077

The entire soundtrack, except the final boss and haunted house music, is copyrighted to whoever owns the right of MCOG now and their original authors. Same goes for the main character names and some other names in the game. Most land sprites are from RPG Maker 2003 and XP, although I have made some myself or using Charas.Ex. The story of this particular game, which has nothing to do with MCOG season 2 and acts as if the 6 cities of gold found in it were thought to be the ones that they mentioned at the end of season 1, was made by me.

Here is version 1.0, released in May 2007. This version is available in both French and English. And here is version 2.0, released in December 2007, which is much larger but has better audio quality, an intro replacing the movie file, extra dungeons and has some replaced sounds/music. However, it is only in English.

Download The Mysterious Cities of Gold: The Curse of Amirax v1.0 (English and French)
Download The Mysterious Cities of Gold: The Curse of Amirax v2.0 (English)

Both versions requires you to disable ClearType fonts on your computer (the thing that makes text anti-aliased), else the text in-game becomes unreadable. I also don't think this will work on Windows 8 and higher (even on Windows XP, Vista and 7 it gave troubles to some people). Although this game doesn't do the cartoon justice, has compatibility issues and is sub-par in quality compared to other RM2k3 (RPG Maker 2003) games, I am posting it here for posterity.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Looks awesome DJ! I will play it ASAP ;)

I take it that it is a computer game since it is 61mb in size?

NOTE:For windows 7 users type "clear" in the search bar in the window icon menu and then click on "Adjust ClearType Text" then uncheck the box and do the rest of the setup widard :).
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it's an old computer game. It's that large because the music uses MP3 files and version 1.0 has a cinematic sequence too.

As for ClearType I wish that we could disable it when launching specific full-screen games, not just globally. But again, nowadays most programs support it so disabling it is kinda useless now.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

I still haven't played it because of time constraints :(
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

No problem. That said, trying to get it to run will most likely take you more time than beating the entire game. :P

On a side note, I had in mind to port this to calcs at one point, but some maps, such as the giant ghost town to the Northeast, would be downscaled heavily and most graphics replaced. Also, it would probably have been rebranded as a different game with no MCOG reference in it.

EDIT: I added video footages in the first post. They are on Myspace because they were not affected by the copyright takedown in 2008, unlike the Youtube vids.

Unicorn

I wanna try this... hopefully I can get it to work on windows 8
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???