Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

WalrusCTF Challenge 2017

Started by DarkestEx, April 06, 2017, 09:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When would you want to run the CTF? What timeframe? Would you join? Choose one or two of each section below.

I would love to participate!
4 (57.1%)
I'll participate the next time maybe.
1 (14.3%)
Run CTF for 2 weeks
1 (14.3%)
Run CTF for 4 weeks
3 (42.9%)
Run CTF for 6 weeks
2 (28.6%)
Run CTF for 8 weeks
2 (28.6%)
Start CTF on April, 20
2 (28.6%)
Start CTF on May, 1
5 (71.4%)
Start CTF on May, 15
2 (28.6%)
Start CTF on June, 1
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: April 16, 2017, 09:38:27 PM

DarkestEx

Hello!

I would like to host a capture the flag event on CW.
Essentially people can sign up to participate in the contest.
There will be multiple challenges (mostly security related, but I am sure we can figure out additional non-security tasks) which you will have to solve (alone or in a team). If you solve a challenge, you will be rewarded points.
The person with the most points when the challenge ends, will be the winner.

Is there interest? I would love to have such a CTF here on CW. It is really great fun!

LiveOverflow does a great job explaining basic concepts and how such CTF might work:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClcE-kVhqyiHCcjYwcpfj9w

Of course it will be :walrii: releated and I have already thought of a few challenges. If someone would like to help me prepare some challenges, feel free to join!
As already mentioned, I am not just planning security challenges, but other fun ones, so everyone will have fun.

@Snektron, @DJ Omnimaga, @Streetwalrus what do you think? Could we run such a CTF here?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

aetios

Sounds interesting, I'd like to try my hand on that :D
ceci n'est pas une signature

novenary

p2

I lack the knowledge, but i'd love to give it a try and learn something in the process  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

DarkestEx

Great that there is so much interest ;D

Now, how long should the CTF run?
I will pay everything up to 4 weeks from my own money. If we want to run it for longer, donations are appreciated.

Due to current poll results, I will start the CTF on May, 1st.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Hooloowalrus

Wait CTF?
I do CTF.
If you want help with things, just ping me on IRC. I'm already going to write some challenges for UIUCTF, so that takes priority for the moment, but this seems like a great idea and I'd love to help out. Count me in!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83, TI-83+ purple, TI-83+SE, TI-83+.fr USB, TI-84+ SE, TI-84 pocket.fr, Commodore PR-100, 4xTI-73, a couple TI-82s, TI-XXXXXXXXXXX, [blank] (nspire prototype), Nspire CAS+, Nspire Clickpad non-CAS, Nspire CX, HP Prime (lost in space), HP 50G, TI-92+

aetios

Quote from: DarkestEx on April 07, 2017, 09:52:05 AM

I will pay everything up to 4 weeks from my own money. If we want to run it for longer, donations are appreciated.

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible for this particular ctf but CW definitely can host stuff for you.

May 1 is in 4 weeks. Is that enough time to prepare?
ceci n'est pas une signature

DarkestEx

Quote from: aeTIos on April 07, 2017, 10:53:53 AM
Quote from: DarkestEx on April 07, 2017, 09:52:05 AM

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible for this particular ctf but CW definitely can host stuff for you.

May 1 is in 4 weeks. Is that enough time to prepare?
I think May, 1st should be fine to get everything up and running. If I really can't make it, we will start on May, 6th or May, 13th (my Birthay), but I will announce this change ahead of time if it really has to happen.

I would be glad if CW could host it, but wouldn't that somewhat disqualify the admins (which would be sad IMHO)?
If everything breaks, I have found a hosting provider that would work for this CTF. The problem is the funding here. Also what will we do for prices?

Dream of Omnimaga

Sounds fun. I doubt I will participate since I know nothing about security and the like, but I'm glad to see many :walrii: interested.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 07, 2017, 02:09:28 PM
Sounds fun. I doubt I will participate since I know nothing about security and the like, but I'm glad to see many :walrii: interested.
Not just security, also some other basic tasks ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

I have way too much other stuff to do, though. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: DarkestEx on April 07, 2017, 11:24:03 AM
I would be glad if CW could host it, but wouldn't that somewhat disqualify the admins (which would be sad IMHO)?
If the admins don't mind, we'd be glad to help.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

DarkestEx

Quote from: Juju on April 08, 2017, 06:47:24 PM
Quote from: DarkestEx on April 07, 2017, 11:24:03 AM
If the admins don't mind, we'd be glad to help.
Thats really nice, but since most of the admins will participate, I already paid and registered a VPS ;)
This is a great site and I am fine paying it. I have registered 6 months. So we will be able to run it as long as we want ;D
Specs: 2.2 GB RAM, 4 vCPUs, 200 GB disk space, 1 TB bandwidth/mo, 1 IPv4 IP.

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN