Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

HP cuts 30000 more jobs

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 16, 2015, 10:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hewlett-packard-expects-up-to-30-000-more-job-cuts-1442351050

HP to cut 30000 more jobs.

I hope that @timwessman, @Cyrille and @Parisse and the others are not affected by this. It would be a shame, considering their hard work on the HP Prime despite being understaffed >.<

The good news is that this is apparently the last massive layoff from HP, but I hope that this one doesn't spell the end of their calculator division. On the other hand, they are splitting into two businesses, so perhaps this will make the company easier to manage and thus, allow them to improve HP calcs marketing? The HP Prime is still incredibly hard to find on their website.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

That sucks I certainty hope the Pime will not be affected in a negative manner
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah. The thing is that like TI, calculators are most likely not HP's biggest profit generator and the HP Prime is most likely just a fraction of TI's market share. If HP decided to cut jobs in areas that are the least profitable, then I hope it won't include their educational division. But again, their marketing is terrible so perhaps they don't even remember that they have a calculator division at all.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Yeah, I never even heard of the Prime until CW O.O
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Yuki

HP's calcs are relatively unknown, at least here in North America, I never heard about it either until DJ managed to buy one.

HP is more known for making printers and computers.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 20, 2015, 09:38:01 PM
their marketing is terrible
So are their printers when they run out of ink. Most likely related?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Not sure, but they have an hard time getting their products in stores and finding anything on their website is next to impossible.

Lionel Debroux

Even if HP were to reduce commitment to the calculator line, Bernard Parisse should be largely unaffected: he has a job as a teacher and associate professor at University Grenoble I (Joseph Fourier). Less fun for Tim Wessman and Cyrille de Brébisson, though.
But don't despair just yet.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Juju on September 24, 2015, 03:18:50 AM
HP's calcs are relatively unknown, at least here in North America, I never heard about it either until DJ managed to buy one.

Same here. And I must honorestly say that I really like my new HP laptop.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

timwessman

The announced cuts were basically exclusively over in the Hewlett Packard Enterprise company. Remember that HP is in the process of splitting into 2 companies. The calculator group stays with the company (HP Inc) that does servers, laptops, desktops, printers, etc. No real change.
TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the comments and opinions I post here are my own.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok phew, I am glad that your job is safe, Tim. :)
Quote from: DarkestEx on September 26, 2015, 04:21:29 PM
Quote from: Juju on September 24, 2015, 03:18:50 AM

Same here. And I must honorestly say that I really like my new HP laptop.
I don't mind HP computers, but I noticed that they tend to come with proprietary softwares that we can't remove unless we format the computer.