Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Super Mario 84

Started by annoyingcalc, October 08, 2015, 09:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

A platformer (especially if it's a Mario game) doesn't need complex physics, only simple gravity so it should be fairly trivial to implement. No need for Zedd.

annoyingcalc

Quote from: Ivoah on October 14, 2015, 04:12:26 AM
Noooo! Physics are what make Mario games fun! I didn't like Sam Head's Mario game for exactly that reason, the physics are terrible. Please try to make good physics.
^^
Also, I'm not using Zedd or anything like that for this.

annoyingcalc

Partial Redraw is done, only some minor drawing glitches are left. I'm ready to post screenshots, but I don't have access to a computer to take screenshots with. I may take a video of it running on my calculator, if I can't get access to a computer soon.

SiphonicSugar

I'm buying some really good laptop for gaming and school, because right now, I am using something made in 2006.  Only 2GB of ram and a HORRIBLE GPU and CPU.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

I hope you get access to a computer soon D:. I can't wait for screenshots and I'm glad this is coming along nicely :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

annoyingcalc

The glitches with the enemies don't happen on calculator. For some reason they occur in wabbit emu.

SCREENSHOTS!

Ivoah

Quote from: annoyingcalc on October 23, 2015, 01:39:38 AM
The glitches with the enemies don't happen on calculator. For some reason they occur in wabbit emu.

SCREENSHOTS!

Looks nice! Please tell me those aren't the final physics though...
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

annoyingcalc

Of course not lol This is supposed to feel like a mario game

Ivoah

Quote from: annoyingcalc on October 23, 2015, 01:46:24 AM
Of course not lol This is supposed to feel like a mario game

Phew.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

SiphonicSugar

• Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

novenary

Is it so slow because you slowed it down or because it's too slow ? :P (no offense meant, it looks nice so far besides that and the physics).

annoyingcalc

The biggest slowdown is that I have somethings completely redraw the map. I will be adding a simple function to draw the tile at a certain position to fix this.
Example of this is when an enemy falls upside down off the screen, the blocks behind him need to be redrawn.

Mario's physics have a bit to do with it as well

novenary

I had to write my own horizontal scrolling routines in assembly to overcome the speed issues. The vertical scrolling routines that come with Axe are perfectly fine though.

Dream of Omnimaga

Looks good so far. I wonder if you could try making an animated screenshot in jsTIfied? Also I think the pipes top should be a bit larger in height and perhaps some gradient added to pipes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

annoyingcalc

I will change the pipe sprites when I get a chance.