Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Beta] TwoStep - The challenging puzzle game! [Axe] [TI-8x+]

Started by DarkestEx, January 29, 2015, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

Oooo a level editor? Awesome! Great job Darkest.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on June 12, 2015, 12:25:28 PM
I found some time during school breaks to work some more on the real, original TwoStep Editor.
It will be graphical (no compiler anymore) and it is pretty far already.
Hopefully you will be soon able to make your own levels :)
Glad to hear. I was curious if a more user-friendly editor would eventually come out. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

• Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dudeman313

Have you noticed all your download links are broken? I wanted to try this out!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

DarkestEx

Quote from: Dudeman313 on January 22, 2016, 09:03:29 PM
Have you noticed all your download links are broken? I wanted to try this out!
Until today all source code and binaries were lost. I found the harddisk of my dead laptop I threw away and luckily managed to recover it. The laptop died of the graphics chip overheating. Not fixable. This is why I bought myself a proper laptop a while back. The new laptop is actually my first new laptop. I went though about 4-5 used ones so far. They were all 10-6 years old and died quickly. At some point I stopped buying replacement parts and scrapped then for parts.

Go here for a list of the latest releases: http://media.muessigb.net/TwoStep/z80/Beta/
Download the latest version here: http://media.muessigb.net/TwoStep/z80/Beta/TwoStep_z80-b150404-a.zip
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dudeman313

• Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

DarkestEx

You're welcome :)

I have finally decided to release the TwoStep Level devkit:
http://media.muessigb.net/TwoStep/z80/Beta/TwoStep_z80-b150404-a-lvldev.zip

You will need Axe to compile and run it.

This is how to make levels:
1. Grab a sheet of paper and design some levels that you might find interesting. Choose a start position and the start and endpoints of the portals (you can have multiple inputs and outputs per portal channel A and B; every input of a channel goes to a random output of a portal of the same channel).
2. The size of a level is 10x6. The list and value of the blocks is attached.
3. Build the hex version of the level by going row by row. Start in the upper-left corner and go right. Then go to row 2 and proceed. To write the hexadecimal representation of the blocks, just write the hex character of the block. Two blocks build one byte. The MSB of the byte is the left block of the pair and the LSB is the right block of the pair.
4. Build the [] blocks of the levels like in the default level pack file attached. Just take the hex representation.
5. Build the Data() block for every level as shown in the sample level. Make sure you understand the header format: [encloses bits] {encloses single bytes} (encloses multiple {bytes})
6. Finally build the initial Data() block as described in the devkit.
7. Compile and run the Axe program. You have to run it, what will make it create your actual level file. You can delete the compiled Axe file if you want; it is not needed anymore.

Have fun and don't forget to share some levels :)

I will probably make a graphical editor at some point, but for now this is the easiest way to make levels.

DarkestEx

Finally a new update after all this time.
I just looked through the code again and checked out, how it actually works.

The latest update consists mainly of bug fixes and some level pack releated changes.
It can be downloaded here: http://dl.muessigb.net/TwoStep/z80/Beta/TwoStep_z80-b160123-a.zip
From now on, the level SDK is included within the archives.

As always, have fun!

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I am happy you are resuming work on this. I was wondering if it would get revived or not at one point. A level editor is cool. I don't know if I'll have time to make levels myself, though. Do you plan to release this on ticalc.org?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: alexgt on January 24, 2016, 04:11:02 AM
Nice! I like bugs becoming extinct :P
Me too :)

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 24, 2016, 08:21:30 AM
Oh I am happy you are resuming work on this. I was wondering if it would get revived or not at one point. A level editor is cool. I don't know if I'll have time to make levels myself, though. Do you plan to release this on ticalc.org?
Well, it is not really a level editor yet, but a level development kit. That means no graphic interface, but a stub axe project, where you insert you level blocks, and that you compile and run.
It will then output the actual level file. About ticalc, I think I will, when this project comes to a release state.

The next tasks are:
- Getting timed mode done
- Restructuring the level file format to allow saving and high scores
- Implement high scores and possibly saving (though idk if we really need saving - it adds just extra work)
- Design a new loading screen (I need help redrawing the logo; I would appreciate any help!)
- Work on the menu screen and on the level selection

DarkestEx

So I took some time to recover the images from the first post and and went through the links and fixed them.

SiphonicSugar

Quote from: DarkestEx on January 24, 2016, 11:51:07 AM

Well, it is not really a level editor yet, but a level development kit. That means no graphic interface, but a stub axe project, where you insert you level blocks, and that you compile and run.
It will then output the actual level file. About ticalc, I think I will, when this project comes to a release state.

The next tasks are:
- Implement high scores and possibly saving (though idk if we really need saving - it adds just extra work)
- Design a new loading screen (I need help redrawing the logo; I would appreciate any help!)
The logo is what you should try to do first.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

DarkestEx

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on January 25, 2016, 04:02:44 AM
Quote from: DarkestEx on January 24, 2016, 11:51:07 AM

The next tasks are:
The logo is what you should try to do first.
Sure, I would love to get any help, as stated :)

c4ooo

i could try to convert it to monochrome. could you post the image and the output [size] specification?