Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+ Series Hybrid BASIC] Sorcery of Uvutu (Released!)

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2015, 10:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait you managed to fix all the bugs already? O.O Anyway I'm amazed to see this coming out, as this has been one of the RPGs I've been looking forward for the CSE since a year or two and it's also the first graphical RPG to come out on that calculator. I am busy right now so I can't play it yet but I hope to be able to try it tuesday.

I can't wait for other games from you in the future and your other projects :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 15, 2017, 05:43:17 PM
Wait you managed to fix all the bugs already? O.O Anyway I'm amazed to see this coming out, as this has been one of the RPGs I've been looking forward for the CSE since a year or two and it's also the first graphical RPG to come out on that calculator. I am busy right now so I can't play it yet but I hope to be able to try it tuesday.

I can't wait for other games from you in the future and your other projects :)
Yeah, I did do an entire play through of the game to ensure every bug was crushed (except for 2 that I missed in the last private build, but that I fixed for 1.0).
And thanks, I'm looking forward to working on other projects I have in mind our those I've already started! Except today, I'm probably gonna take a break. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

I might have gotten a bug, but I'm unsure if it's related to the game or the emulator, because I got a Syntax error on If M=8.2 or something, which looks fine ???. This happened after the 2nd screen (I leveled up just before)

EDIT Nevermind (for now). I just realized that my WabbitEmu ROM was OS 4.0, which seems to have issues with Doors CSE 8. I upgraded to 4.2 and the problem seems to have gone away.

EDIT: OMG that easter egg in the Upper City *.*

EDIT: Now that I have beaten the game (nice game by the way. While it's simple overall in terms of story content, I liked how many attacks there were and the worlds were fun to explore) I got some suggestions:

I think the game enemy balance is fine (the leveing up is fast but the enemies remains hard enough to give challenge), I think it's another story for bosses. I ran into one or two that were pretty challenging, but I don't think the final boss should have 70-ish HP and die in 3 hits. At least this one final foe should probably last longer, even if it means making his attack power lower to accomodate the lack of healing in battle. It would definitively be fun if the final battle lasted a good 5 minutes or so, although I understand this might not be possible since you can't heal yourself lol.

Also I love those graphics, especially later in the game. They kinda reminds me some NES games but at lower resolution.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 17, 2017, 12:00:18 AM
I might have gotten a bug, but I'm unsure if it's related to the game or the emulator, because I got a Syntax error on If M=8.2 or something, which looks fine ???. This happened after the 2nd screen (I leveled up just before)

EDIT Nevermind (for now). I just realized that my WabbitEmu ROM was OS 4.0, which seems to have issues with Doors CSE 8. I upgraded to 4.2 and the problem seems to have gone away.

EDIT: OMG that easter egg in the Upper City *.*

EDIT: Now that I have beaten the game (nice game by the way. While it's simple overall in terms of story content, I liked how many attacks there were and the worlds were fun to explore) I got some suggestions:

I think the game enemy balance is fine (the leveing up is fast but the enemies remains hard enough to give challenge), I think it's another story for bosses. I ran into one or two that were pretty challenging, but I don't think the final boss should have 70-ish HP and die in 3 hits. At least this one final foe should probably last longer, even if it means making his attack power lower to accomodate the lack of healing in battle. It would definitively be fun if the final battle lasted a good 5 minutes or so, although I understand this might not be possible since you can't heal yourself lol.

Also I love those graphics, especially later in the game. They kinda reminds me some NES games but at lower resolution.
Thank you so much for the feedback! I've fixed the balance issue you described, now magically appears a changelog:
[spoiler=Changelog v1.1]
*Made saving a little faster (the downtime at the end, when the bar is full, is a lot shorter now)
*Tweaked the health of the final boss (+40 health, specifically)
*Fixed issue with pressing New Game, and it automatically selects Yes, Delete Save when holding 2nd
[/spoiler]
I've already updated the OP.

p2

I'm really REALLY happy to see another project that big become true! :)
I sadly dont have a CE myself, but I'm still glad to see new aweome games ^.^
I really hope that mentioned easteregg is a walrus  9_9
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

123outerme

Quote from: p2 on January 17, 2017, 06:45:44 AM
I'm really REALLY happy to see another project that big become true! :)
I sadly dont have a CE myself, but I'm still glad to see new aweome games ^.^
I really hope that mentioned easteregg is a walrus  9_9
Thank you so much! It's okay if you don't have a CE anyways, it can't run on that until Doors CE becomes a thing  (don't get me wrong, I understand the project takes time). But until then, CSE users have the monopoly on this game.

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually @p2 this game is for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition (often nicknamed CSE), not the TI-84 Plus CE :P, but yeah you would need one anyway.

As for a CE version, it's hard to decide whether it's better to wait for DCE9 or port the game to a different lib right away, because there's no timetable for when DCE9 will be out.

I'll retry a playthrough of the game with 1.1 since I noticed I had missed one area in Under City <_<

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 17, 2017, 11:25:27 PM
Actually @p2 this game is for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition (often nicknamed CSE), not the TI-84 Plus CE :P, but yeah you would need one anyway.

As for a CE version, it's hard to decide whether it's better to wait for DCE9 or port the game to a different lib right away, because there's no timetable for when DCE9 will be out.

I'll retry a playthrough of the game with 1.1 since I noticed I had missed one area in Under City <_<
Oh yeah, that area. I probably should've made that tile difference easier to spot. If I ever upload a 1.2 or 2.0, I'll be sure to fix that part.

Dream of Omnimaga

I still couldn't find out the different tiles in the final map in the screenshots of the maps lol. I'll have to look harder.

Also I did some calculations earlier and Uvutu has 57 screens total, but if you multiply how many tiles there are per screen then divide by 12*8 (96), then you get the equivalent of 166 TI-83 Plus RPG maps and if you divide by 16*8 (128), then you get the equivalent of 124 Illusiat maps. Reuben Quest explorable area is thus smaller :P. Granted, this would mean that First Fantasy explorable area is 8 times larger than Uvutu, but First Fantasy random enemy encounter is much slower and maps are much more simple than your game so that might not count. :P

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 18, 2017, 04:40:33 AM
I still couldn't find out the different tiles in the final map in the screenshots of the maps lol. I'll have to look harder.

Also I did some calculations earlier and Uvutu has 57 screens total, but if you multiply how many tiles there are per screen then divide by 12*8 (96), then you get the equivalent of 166 TI-83 Plus RPG maps and if you divide by 16*8 (128), then you get the equivalent of 124 Illusiat maps. Reuben Quest explorable area is thus smaller :P. Granted, this would mean that First Fantasy explorable area is 8 times larger than Uvutu, but First Fantasy random enemy encounter is much slower and maps are much more simple than your game so that might not count. :P
That's some interesting statistics! And definitely felt like I made more maps than 57 X.X

p2

finally after all that stupid tile drawing you feel like "yaay, finally I come to map making, that will be fun!!" but after some hours you realize that'S even worse than the drawing part  :ninja:
there should be a free service where you can send in your tiles and a drawing of how the map should look like + how big and they make it for you....  O.O
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

123outerme

Quote from: p2 on January 18, 2017, 03:34:33 PM
finally after all that stupid tile drawing you feel like "yaay, finally I come to map making, that will be fun!!" but after some hours you realize that'S even worse than the drawing part  :ninja:
there should be a free service where you can send in your tiles and a drawing of how the map should look like + how big and they make it for you....  O.O
Strangely, I actually enjoyed drawing the tiles, but the maps was by far the worst. I mean, Tokens makes the process 400x easier, but still.

Dream of Omnimaga

I personally just used RPG Maker 2003 map editor, replaced the tileset with plain colored tiles, took a screenshot, resized pic to ensure that sprites are 8x8, then imported the bmp into Mappy map editor then switched back to the real tiles. @tr1p1ea made a tool that lets you convert Mappy data to xLIBC format but I don't know if he released it on ticalc.org . You can also use Mappy directly but it's buggy and unreliable (for example, there's only 1 level of Undo). I haven't tried TokenIDE map editor much. Is it reliable?

As for tiles, if you ever update the game, now that I saw your tile pic, I have suggestions for future versions (or a sequel if it uses a similar engine):
-Reduce the amount of different tiles per skills so that each skill sprite can be re-used by two different skills. The second tier skills could simply make multiple copies of the sprite appear at random locations around the enemy for a larger magic animation.
-Make certain skill animations just alternate between 3 bits and 16 bits mode or flash/change the hue of the battle screen in different orders depending of the spell. This would reduce the amount of tiles used even further.
-Use the tile slots that you just freed up for extra world tiles (such as diagonal beach/river corner tiles to smoothen maps around rivers, sea and lava) and maybe even house furnitures. I guess cliff tiles could be used too but it seems you went for a Final Fantasy 1 or Dragon Warrior style so I don't think they would fit well.
-If you still have space left, you could maybe even use extra tiles for an intro background image made of tree sprites and stuff (or sky). The intro could have a darker sky with white text appearing 3 lines at a time and the ending could have a daytime sky color.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 18, 2017, 08:17:58 PM
I personally just used RPG Maker 2003 map editor, replaced the tileset with plain colored tiles, took a screenshot, resized pic to ensure that sprites are 8x8, then imported the bmp into Mappy map editor then switched back to the real tiles. @tr1p1ea made a tool that lets you convert Mappy data to xLIBC format but I don't know if he released it on ticalc.org . You can also use Mappy directly but it's buggy and unreliable (for example, there's only 1 level of Undo). I haven't tried TokenIDE map editor much. Is it reliable?

As for tiles, if you ever update the game, now that I saw your tile pic, I have suggestions for future versions (or a sequel if it uses a similar engine):
-Reduce the amount of different tiles per skills so that each skill sprite can be re-used by two different skills. The second tier skills could simply make multiple copies of the sprite appear at random locations around the enemy for a larger magic animation.
-Make certain skill animations just alternate between 3 bits and 16 bits mode or flash/change the hue of the battle screen in different orders depending of the spell. This would reduce the amount of tiles used even further.
-Use the tile slots that you just freed up for extra world tiles (such as diagonal beach/river corner tiles to smoothen maps around rivers, sea and lava) and maybe even house furnitures. I guess cliff tiles could be used too but it seems you went for a Final Fantasy 1 or Dragon Warrior style so I don't think they would fit well.
-If you still have space left, you could maybe even use extra tiles for an intro background image made of tree sprites and stuff (or sky). The intro could have a darker sky with white text appearing 3 lines at a time and the ending could have a daytime sky color.
The xLIBC Map Editor in Tokens is really reliable, actually. It used to be a little worse when you could only place one tile at a time (now you can assign two tiles to the mouse buttons), but it's still really good. It can undo all the way back to file open, has every tile in the tileset available to place, and you can directly Insert the hex, save it as a .png, or both (which is what I do). On top of that, you have the same tools as the tilemap editor, like line, filled/unfilled circle or rectangle, pattern (my personal favorite), etc.

I actually really should experiment with 3bit mode more, I think it would make the magic attacks (like my favorite one, Volt) a lot better. I still have some empty tiles left, so I can add more details like that. I was actually planning on adding a table to the house, but unfortunately never got around to it. And yeah, while I'm doing those things, I can make the intro "exposition dump" a lot more epic as well. Thanks for the ideas, I'll probably start getting to work on them today!

Dream of Omnimaga

Can you place tiles while holding down the mouse buttons or do you have to click repeatedly? That was my issue with certain map editors before and I prefer if you can hold mouse buttons down. That way I don't need to buy a new mouse after each dungeon is drawn <_<

As for 3 bit mode, the only issue is that this will cause the HUD/UI to flash as well: