Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

WalrusRPG - a cross-platform J-RPG engine

Started by novenary, November 17, 2014, 07:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

Actually due to a bug in SFML, I can't enable full screen yet. I made the window 640x480 by default though.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

YOu can still cheat with some WMs likfe XFCE (Alt-F11 : fake fullscreen)

Working on PIAF right now; I'm figuring a decent loading process. Also the best thing about c++ is genericity:

[coode]
    template <typename T> T read_big_endian_value(void *ptr)
    {
        T result = 0;
        uint8_t *data = (uint8_t *) ptr;
        for (unsigned i = 0; i < sizeof(T); i++)
            result |= data[i] << (8 * (sizeof(T) - 1 - i));
        return result;
    }

Putting a template here allows me to avoid having to manage n times the same code. :D Generic data loading for every platform, it's cool, nah?
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on September 11, 2015, 09:31:00 PM
YOu can still cheat with some WMs likfe XFCE (Alt-F11 : fake fullscreen)
In X11, fullscreen is just a flag on the window, unlike on Windows where there's a whole mechanism behind it that allows the app to get exclusive access to the GPU and input devices for performance and latency reasons. Linux allows direct driver access anyway so it doesn't matter, and OpenGL is likely implemented with direct rendering in drivers that support it, so you effectively get the same benefits without exclusive access.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Breaking news : I made PIAF work on PC on a simple test file. further tests should be done but it's pretty could that I could, without problems, parse the header and file_table. It just means that getting the data after then will be easy as just reading the file on the right place.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 11, 2015, 07:23:37 PM
Actually due to a bug in SFML, I can't enable full screen yet. I made the window 640x480 by default though.
If FS ever becomes a serious issue, you could always allow the player to set the window even larger than 640x480, such as 1280x960 and 960x720. Some games do that.

Glad to see you guys progress on this
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

novenary

The window was resizable already. I figured out what I was doing wrong now so it's fullscreen by default.

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

On theleft, a shader. In the right the program version.  And yeah, the 60FPS indication doesn't lie.

novenary

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on September 17, 2015, 07:14:49 PM
On theleft, a shader. In the  the program version.  And yeah, the 60FPS indication doesn't .
I think you ate some words here. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

It seems like Android keyboard was drunk today.

Dream of Omnimaga

I like the result so far. Will those backgrounds be used as battle backgrounds or will they be for magic animations?

novenary

It's the battle engine backdrop, just like in Earthbound.

The battle system is planned to be similar to this as well.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Dream of Omnimaga

AH ok, I was wondering since Eiyeron was already making an Earthbound-style engine. Will WRPG support standard backgrounds for other games?

novenary

Anyone is free to modify the engine. It's pretty much mandatory to do so anyway when you make games with a generic engine.