Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Portal NSpire

Started by LD Studios, January 02, 2015, 02:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionel Debroux

Exactly. Though there still exists a market for science professionals (in a wide sense), on which HP's older calculator models hold significant presence, for most users, programmable calculators have become an artifact of the worldwide school systems' silliness.

But we're straying off-topic :)
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that's the main issue. Lexibook in France has failed hardcore at understanding the concept of how to not get your platform banned from every test. As long as tablets, smartphones and computers will lack a feature allowing teachers to make them cheating-proof, then they will never fully replace calculators at exams.

Anyway we should probably get back on topic. This project is on the Nspire (and in Lua) to stay, after all. :) (and the original author did a very good job so far). Has anyone gotten any luck at getting the source to continue Portal Nspire?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Strontium

I'm just waiting for @LD Studios. Its probably a good idea for me to PM him directly if I want to contribute anything.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Unicorn

PM him then, it'd be great if this was finished!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

The Mention feature on the forums could help if the user has email notifications enabled, but yeah PMing would work the best or if you can find his e-mail on ticalc.org then that could work too. It probably also depends which forums he frequents the most.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

LD Studios

Oh hi, this topic certainly got some attention lately.
@Strontium, I'm going to be really busy for the next few days, by the end of the week I'll send you the source code and explain how the level storing works. It's not really a big deal if you don't know much lua because the engine is complete, it's really just a matter of storing a ton of data in tables for all of the levels.
Hopefully this project will get finished some day.

Dream of Omnimaga

Does it support custom level sets? And how many levels can there be now?

LD Studios

It doesn't currently have a level editor or any easy way to import custom level sets. The way it's set up rn it can have basically infinite levels

Snektron

Well thats quite handy :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

hehe, as long as you support level packs, you could be proud of having a game with a good replay value.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Strontium

I could probably add support for level packs once I get the source, its not a hard thing to do. A level creator, though, is not something I want to add.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, level editors tend to take a lot of time, but can help once you set once and for good all the features/gameplay system your game will have.

Snektron

Yeah a level editor would be cool, but maybe make a small one just for yourself. That's what i did with designing letters for DovahCalc CSE, since the letter bitmaps are really weird... (also i used pixelscape for the 84+ but that doesnt work for CSE >.<)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Strontium

I just came up with a super simple way to implement a level editor that I could probably use for myself, then modify it to be more user-friendly when I am done with it.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

YOu don't really have to make it user friendly, you know. Do your own and once your game is finished, do a better one! ;)