Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Buying a new laptop for 450 dollars

Started by Unicorn, April 21, 2015, 04:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

And im just sitting here with my 1970 20mb/s twisted pair which has 10 mb/s reserved for the tv <_< and i need to share the rest with 4 other persons... <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on May 21, 2015, 08:20:48 AM
Online is fun, also with this comp, my speed test grade went up to a B from a D-!!
Wait, your new computer gives you worse Internet speeds? Could it be that it got a worse wifi card? Sometimes to sell something for cheaper they lower the quality of specs that people don't look as much into. Many people will look for the speed, RAM, disk space and video memory, but will forget to check what type of RAM, hard drive speed, sound card, wifi capabilities, etc. I know that the hard drive on my computer isn't all that fast, because Starcraft maps can take quite a while to load and with all the RAM that I got, I discovered that it was because of my hard drive.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Ummm I think you read that wrong. I went from a D- to a B+ I just sneaked an up inthere.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

I read "from B to D-" first too. Bit of a weird sentence :P

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on May 25, 2015, 07:27:10 AM
Ummm I think you read that wrong. I went from a D- to a B+ I just sneaked an up inthere.
Oh right, my bad. It's the up that kinda caught my attention more. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Yeah, well... Anyways, I just figured out that my computer wasn't even using the nvidia card, so I changed that up.  :D

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

How does that happen? i mean you'd expect the factory to set the default on the better card

Unicorn

Well I did reinstall windows.... and I guess the version I used didn't take into acount the nvidia card maybe?

EDIT: Omagers!!! I'm a custom titler!!!!! :)

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

TheMachine02

Nah, the nvidia cards isn't 'on' by default to save batterie (it is "optimus" feature). Laptop stop the cards when not used for intensive task like gaming or such. Minecraft doesn't indeed run by default on the graphics cards (but you can set it in the nvidia panel), cause the seing runing program is java.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on May 28, 2015, 07:14:39 AM
How does that happen? i mean you'd expect the factory to set the default on the better card
In my Intel Celeron, I had an on-board intel graphics card then I eventually added an ATI Radeon card in 2006. However, I never managed to have it use the ATI card as default one, and doing it would cause it to not work. The result is that I had to set the 2nd monitor as primary and have a crappy monitor connected to the on-board video card. It was weird to always use the 2nd computer monitor as 1st and I often ran into issues.

I'm never gonna buy computers with integrated graphic cards again.

TheMachine02

Well pretty much every processor now have an integrated cards. (All intel does, some AMD doesn't (but mainly have one)).
But support for these type of cards is well better, as well as plug and play / driver management.

EDIT : 66 posts >:D

Snektron

I don't think my FX 8350 has one, at least i thought i saw it somewhere.
Also congrats on being Math.floor(666/10)

Unicorn

I bet my powerbook doesn't have one :P
and congrats on being one below satan.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

When they were made they didn't even have gpu's for laptops. You have an integrated one :P