Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Alien Breed 5 Episode III: Impact

Started by JamesV, December 21, 2015, 01:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

@JamesV :   
So, are you going to start with walls/non-moving objects first, or are you going to start with power-up placement?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: JamesV on March 11, 2016, 10:59:15 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 10, 2016, 09:04:58 PMYeah I thought you would never code new games again after 2002 since you left at the same time as Sam Heald, Harper Maddox and others, but then you released Banchor and years later you started working on AB5 and I was happy.

By the way, do you still use IRC? Because all major forums have an IRC channel, such as #codewalrus, #cemetech and #omnimaga (all on EFnet).
Heh nah, the TI scene can't get rid of me :P

Occasionally, but not that often
Same here. I actually didn't have very long periods of absence, other than in early 2007 when I had 5 months with no internet at home and posted once a month, but other than that, the longest I have left is 1 month and the longest that I stopped coding is 2.5 years. I also IRC but not often enough to install a client. I mostly use WalrusIRC :walrii:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 11, 2016, 02:36:05 PM
@JamesV :   
So, are you going to start with walls/non-moving objects first, or are you going to start with power-up placement?
Right now I'm integrating the colour graphics engine into the main game code, and putting together the colour tile sprites. I haven't actually started designing any of the Episode III levels as yet (although I do have a basic layout of the overall level flow itself). Episodes I & II (from the 83+/84+ non-colour calculators) are complete, so once the TI-84+CE engine is working, there will already be 24 playable levels for me to use for testing, etc.

I'll hopefully have a screenshot to post with a decent handful of working colour tile sprites in the next couple of days. It's all flowing smoothly, it will just take a bit of time, but I enjoy working through it bit by bit :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Does the color conversion require a considerable amount of rewrite or even redoing the entire game from scratch? Also I can't wait for new color screenshots. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

I'd love to see the screenies, too! ;D
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 15, 2016, 06:38:53 AM
Does the color conversion require a considerable amount of rewrite or even redoing the entire game from scratch? Also I can't wait for new color screenshots. :)
Not really - a bunch of little things had to be adjusted for eZ80 compatibility, mostly things like the multi-byte registers being 24-bit instead of 16-bit. But most of the core game code will remain the same, for the most part it's just any sprite drawing / text printing routines that are being re-written for the CE version.

Here's a quick progress screenshot of integrating the colour engine into the game :)

Dudeman313

I like it! It's very textured and pretty cool. ;D
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah the new tiles are amazing. O.O Also the graphical details reminds me of the SNES, even though it's 8x8 instead of 16x16. It actually looks very professional too overall. :)

By the way, can you change color palettes so that for different maps you can re-use the same tileset but in different colors?

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 17, 2016, 06:55:24 PM
Woah the new tiles are amazing. O.O Also the graphical details reminds me of the SNES, even though it's 8x8 instead of 16x16. It actually looks very professional too overall. :)

By the way, can you change color palettes so that for different maps you can re-use the same tileset but in different colors?
Thanks! I'm happy with how it's turning out so far. Certainly yes, I'm planning to have 3-4 variations in floor colouring on different levels by simply changing the appropriate palette colours :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Now I got another idea: What about palette swapping-based animations, such as when you die or when something explodes? For example, the screen could flash to red or something. You could also implement fade-in/out effects between maps and screens.

Dudeman313

Or when you meet the objective and have to get back to the elevator-thingy? That'd be cool to have a flashing screen.
And I think the 84+ AB5 already had a between level animation where it also gave you a passcode to get back to your save game, but if @JamesV added fade to that, it'd be pretty cool.
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

After some time away from working on this, I've made some minor progress. I decided to go back to 16x16 sprites, and increase the view range to 16x12 tiles on the 84+CE. Here's an early screenshot.

Lionel Debroux

Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Dream of Omnimaga

JamesV

Thanks! I've added a few more tiles, and the machine gun & twin laser sprites as well (but I haven't drawn the explosion animations or door opening animations as yet).