Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Advice for BASIC

Started by xMarminq_, November 17, 2016, 03:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xMarminq_

Bump

How do you set a a one character sprite at a coordinate?
Whats the star at the end of the code I quoted?
:banghead: Too many questions
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

E37

Quote from: xMarminq_ on December 24, 2016, 10:49:33 PM
Bump

How do you set a a one character sprite at a coordinate?
Whats the star at the end of the code I quoted?
:banghead: Too many questions
The star appears the be the multiplication sign. Nothing special.

A one character sprite? Just do Text(x,y,"insert some string or character here")
If you want to do it on the home screen, Output would do fine.

Hope that helps!
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

xMarminq_

• Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

Dream of Omnimaga

I am a bit late, but if you use Text(-1,X,Y,"C" instead of Text(X,Y,"C", then large fonts are used.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Quote from: xMarminq_ on December 09, 2016, 02:31:54 AM
Quote from: Unicorn on November 29, 2016, 04:10:09 AM
So, for example:

ClrHome
DelVar A
Repeat K=45
getkey->K
If K=leftarrowkey
-1->A
If K=rightarrowkey
1->A
If K=2nd
DelVar A
If A=1 and X<26
X+1->X
If A=-1 and X>1
X-1->X
Output(1,X"*
End

Just add the keycodes and erasing the text ;)

Do I need a new variable for up/down?

If you want it to be able to go up/down whenever, yes. Just be sure to change the bounds checking.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

123outerme

Being that I've just released a large RPG calc project, I'd like to comment on this (I'm no means an expert obviously, but I have had some experience)
My experience is that most of the work going into an RPG will be on the content. Maps, story, items, etc. take up a lot of the work. In fact, I would design the world you're trying to build first, preferably on paper, before you even start work on your engine. You'll always have to keep in mind the limitations of your skills and the platform you're working on, but it's worth it.

That is, if you want to work on an RPG. You're going to be programming an RPG, which means, like I said, content is king. A small RPG first, where the time to make content about equals the time to make the engine, is your best bet to learning the type of RPG you want to make. I believe that your end goal in this small RPG is to learn how to organize your code, seperate your games into multiple interconnected pieces (aka overworld, battle screen, menu screen, map screen, etc.) and get it all working. After that, if you can take on the monumental challenge (It took me almost 1.5 years to finish up Sorcery of Uvutu, including the time that I took off of the project, sick of making maps)., I'd say go for it. Once you start to take on this large project, I'd always keep a side-project on the backburners, so while you're taking a break from your RPG, you have another way to refine your skills or generate new ideas. For a day or so a couple of months ago, I took time off of developing SoU to start work on Tourn 2, a fighting game. Different genre, so a way to break up the sluggish progression of your RPG with a project you can see results from immediately.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I really recommend starting with just 1 dungeon, even if it meeans no village/NPCs, first. Else if you start with something massive, you'll end up never releasing your first game.

You also need to keep as much walking engine content as possible outside the main walking loop, which should only include key detection, checking if you're heading outside the screen and if the next tile is solid. If that's the case or if the key pressed is CLEAR or ENTER then the loop should be exited and whatever needs to be done should be done outside. That will keep the map engine fast.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U