Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

WalrusRPG - a cross-platform J-RPG engine

Started by novenary, November 17, 2014, 07:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aetios

He was talking about taking the sprite *sizes* and multiplying them by 1.5, not the actual sprites ;)

Also @street I wonder if this gonna go somewhere if you are going to do as you said and drop the nspire once you get a prime >_>
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

I think you should still continue the Nspire version. D:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 20, 2014, 09:33:59 PM
I think you should still continue the Nspire version. D:
I also think so :| Mostly because there are way more ndlessed calcs than there are people using the Prime.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I agree. Maybe both versions could be made at once?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

I'll leave that for when it happens. It'll be a long time before we are actually going to code on this, anyway. I first want to make some other things, to get better and C and to release stuff :P

novenary

I decided to go cross platform, but I still want to use the Prime to it's full capabilities so it may have extra features on there than on the Nspire (I can already tell you that graphics will be much smoother and maybe have more effects). Figuring out how to make the game compile for both calcs from the same code base is to going to be a nice challenge.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok, I guess it's fine then. THe thing is that the Nspire userbase is far larger than the Prime. That said, in my case I only really do stuff for the Prime and not the Nspire since I prefer HP PPL language.

novenary

Well I kind of want to give the Prime a kick start. :P It'll be hard but if we can attract Ndless devs then that's already half of the battle to make it popular.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 18, 2014, 02:50:26 AM
I think pseudo 3D could be done since HP PPL can do it, but it would obviously not run at 60 FPS unless you wrote a good scaled image and ran at 160x120 or something:

Basically, the stuff displaying on top of the other layers could be leaves, while the layers below could just be circular brown shapes that makes trees up. It would be best to pre-render the layers if they are scaled up, though, for faster speed.

Ahem. I have a Mode7 library for Casio. A little tweaking and it could run on Nspire :-°

Oh and I have some leftovers from a battle engine attempt for Prizms. Maybe you want to read them.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

Problem number 1 on the Nspire is the slow memory bus. z80/68k/SH-3/4 calcs don't really have this issue as they have memory faster than what the CPU can put out (SRAM) while the CX (not the Classic as it has a twice faster memory bus) is limited by it's 60MHz bus. <_<

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

A test should be done to benchmark that thing. It looks like.a real power waste when you see this CPU/memory speed ratio...
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 25, 2014, 09:56:38 AM
Problem number 1 on the Nspire is the slow memory bus. z80/68k/SH-3/4 calcs don't really have this issue as they have memory faster than what the CPU can put out (SRAM) while the CX (not the Classic as it has a twice faster memory bus) is limited by it's 60MHz bus. <_<
Do you mean the AHB? Cuz that seemed to be an issue in nKaruga at first. It's a shame considering the calc is 150+ MHz and $170 x.x

Also how the hell can TI downgrade their calcs like this when moving to color screens? With the CSE they didn't downgrade physically, but they added nothing to accomodate the larger screen and the result is a much slower calc (although still way faster than the ClassPad II and some PRIZM BASIC). I bet if they ever make a calc with the speed of the Clickpad memory bus but a CX screen, they'll use that excuse to jack the price up... <_<

novenary

Well besides compiler optimization the only way I had to speed it up was to implement a frame skipper (not that it's a bad thing for now but I fear some things will slow it down <_<).

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, what is the exact frame rate you get in this game when the character walks around on scrolling maps, if you only update the tile row you're scrolling towards to? And what is the frame rate if you redraw the entire screen every frame?

novenary

Hmmm. You're probably gonna think I'm a freak but I get like 30fps or so for now though it's gonna drop pretty soon.