Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Shell that opens when prgm key is pressed.

Started by c4ooo, May 09, 2016, 01:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

I have wanted to create a library of sorts that speeds up basic by modding the drawing commands. As i was researching annoying mateo on how to do this, i decided i might as well also make a shell. However, instead of making a simple shell i decided that this shell will start when you press [prgm]. Furthermore, i hope that the file system of this shell will be compatible to that of Doors :)

How do you use this shell? Simple. You send the program INSTALL and the Appvar HOOK to your calc (the later of which has to be archive), and then you run INSTALL with the Asm() command. From then on (until the next memory reset), when you press the [prgm] key, my GUI will show up instead of TIOS's.

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm interesting idea. Just a few questions:

1) When opening the shell with PRGM, would we still be able to launch programs from the home screen (eg an option to do it)?

2) Will xLIBCE/Celtic2CSE commands still work while this shell is installed?

3) Will # and ! be hidden? Because messing with them (eg archiving/hiding) can cause nasty results >.< (I once got forced to do a full memory reset on my 83+ after archiving # from MirageOS back when MirageOS showed them)

4) You mention enhanced drawing command speeds. Is that a planned shell feature or did you take a different route?

Either way, good luck :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

1) Probably not. Its very hard to type in a program name without opening the [prgm] menu, so there is no reason to add i homerun feature, every thing will be done via the custom UI.

2) Nope :( If @tr1p1ea gives me the code to xLibCE/Celtic, then yes i will be able to add them along side my code-speeder-upper.

3) Yep. Ile try to tackle this issue to morrow :)

4) If this feature will end up compatible with -all- Tibasic programs, then it will be enabled by default. Else there will be someway to flag  the program as compatible.

And finally:
Thanks! :D

Unicorn

What about creating a program? Will you add and option for that in the gui?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: c4ooo on May 09, 2016, 04:32:55 AM
1) Probably not. Its very hard to type in a program name without opening the [prgm] menu, so there is no reason to add i homerun feature, every thing will be done via the custom UI.

2) Nope :( If @tr1p1ea gives me the code to xLibCE/Celtic, then yes i will be able to add them along side my code-speeder-upper.

4) If this feature will end up compatible with -all- Tibasic programs, then it will be enabled by default. Else there will be someway to flag  the program as compatible.

And finally:
1) I see. My main worry was that not allowing that could cause some issues if for example I am editing a BASIC program and want to insert a program name or copy the code over. Also if the PRGM commands are no longer reachable from the TI-BASIC editor then that could be problematic. I hope you have this covered up.

2) I am ok with the shell overwritting xLIBCE hooks, but back in 2005-06 Reuben Quest and Metroid II often had poor reception because people had to manually uninstall Omnicalc then install xLIB or vice-versa. But again on CW it would be a bannable offense to single out someone's game over such thing (like on Omni until 2011) so I guess that won't make much of a difference here. :P

4) Actually, something that would be cool too is if you improved the speed of the Asm(prgmname command. This is the main issue for non-hook libs like CE Textlib and the new 10x10 sprite program from TI-Planet. I wonder if there would be an easy way to map the calculator VAT in a way that when using Asm() it doesn't have to search the program everytime?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: Unicorn on May 09, 2016, 04:35:51 AM
What about creating a program? Will you add and option for that in the gui?
Definitely. Alongside with [un]archiving/moving etc ;)
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 09, 2016, 04:50:30 AM
Quote from: c4ooo on May 09, 2016, 04:32:55 AM

And finally:
1) I see. My main worry was that not allowing that could cause some issues if for example I am editing a BASIC program and want to insert a program name or copy the code over. Also if the PRGM commands are no longer reachable from the TI-BASIC editor then that could be problematic. I hope you have this covered up.

2) I am ok with the shell overwritting xLIBCE hooks, but back in 2005-06 Reuben Quest and Metroid II often had poor reception because people had to manually uninstall Omnicalc then install xLIB or vice-versa. But again on CW it would be a bannable offense to single out someone's game over such thing (like on Omni until 2011) so I guess that won't make much of a difference here. :P

4) Actually, something that would be cool too is if you improved the speed of the Asm(prgmname command. This is the main issue for non-hook libs like CE Textlib and the new 10x10 sprite program from TI-Planet. I wonder if there would be an easy way to map the calculator VAT in a way that when using Asm() it doesn't have to search the program everytime?

1) Actually, the hook checks to see if you pressed [prgm] from the homescreem, and if not, not then it functions normally. My concern right now is that the hook may be slowing down key presses. Everytime a key is pressed the hook copies some code into saferam becouse its better to execute it there. So even if the [prgm] key was not pressed, or pressed in the wrong context, the whole GUI will be copied into safeRam. This is something that should be fixed soon :P

4) That would be possible in the future ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I agree about #1, I'm sure there is a solution for that, since 83+ programs had keypress-based hooks too. Good luck :)

Unicorn

I Will definitely use this! Could you make setting where if you press a designated hook, you launch a pre-chosen program of the users choice?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

c4ooo

Quote from: Unicorn on May 09, 2016, 09:25:16 PM
I Will definitely use this! Could you make setting where if you press a designated hook, you launch a pre-chosen program of the users choice?
This is a great idea! What keys do you think should be used?

Edit:

Unicorn

How about any combination that the user wants? Though maybe make having [On} part of the hook mandatory.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

@Unicorn By pre-chosen program, do you mean like on the TI-89 where pressing diamond+another key launches a program that was assigned to that key combo for quick access?

Also while the folder icon looks nice, this might lead to confusion. Maybe you should use an icon that looks more like a file? Also folders would be nice to add, as long as they are not lost on every RAM clear.

Also will we be able to edit programs from there?

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 10, 2016, 05:33:03 AM
@Unicorn By pre-chosen program, do you mean like on the TI-89 where pressing diamond+another key launches a program that was assigned to that key combo for quick access?
Yes, exaclty, @c4ooo

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

c4ooo

Great news! You can now create folders with names, and their names are displayed correctly. I can not confirm this, but any folder you create in my shell should be visible in Doors CE and vice versa.

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX