Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

PSA: Drama in the shoutbox and IRC

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 26, 2016, 04:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

As IRC and chatrooms are real-time discussion mediums, when people post there they usually don't preview what they wrote, since it appears publicly as soon as they hit Enter. This increases the risks of drama in case of misunderstanding or tense atmosphere and people are more at risk of breaking the rules by accident. Also, contrary to popular belief, some IRC channels, which includes #Codewalrus (which is relayed to WalrusIRC) are publicly logged.

This is why we prefer that debates about sensitive subjects be posted on the forums, in a topic exclusively dedicated to that debate. For this, we have several sub-forums available for the topic. Lately, the main controversial topics were TI Community FOSS and the US elections. We believe that especially the former has been brought up way too often on IRC and in unrelated topics. For example, the former would go in this section and the latter would go in this one. This way, unsuspecting visitors and members won't risk randomly running into drama that they would rather avoid, and it is easier to keep under control (and members can flag or report posts that they judge innapropriate). Controversial topics should also include the word "controversial" in their title (not inside tags, since they don't always show up on IRC).

Now the next issue is the recent upsurge in life rants on IRC. Although IRC makes it easier to get quick help, it is publicly logged, which is why we have a private sub-forum that guests and low-posting users can't see, and since certain users might get stressed about not being able to help more than they would like or have their own share of personal life issues, frequent life rants on WalrusIRC or on IRC tend to increase tension, just like controversial debates, so as a result, we would prefer that the safe-haven section be used for them. Stress will be much easier to manage for everyone, the conversation will be much easier to follow and it will be easier to provide advice, if any. There is a general topic about life issues located there, but you are free to create new ones.

We thank you for your cooperation as we thrive to provide a friendly and tolerant atmosphere for everyone on the forums.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 26, 2016, 04:02:18 AM
Now the next issue is the recent upsurge in life rants on IRC. Although IRC makes it easier to get quick help, it is publicly logged, which is why we have a private sub-forum that guests and low-posting users can't see, and since certain users might get stressed about not being able to help more than they would like or have their own share of personal life issues, frequent life rants on WalrusIRC or on IRC tend to increase tension, just like controversial debates, so as a result, we would prefer that the safe-haven section be used for them. Stress will be much easier to manage for everyone, the conversation will be much easier to follow and it will be easier to provide advice, if any. There is a general topic about life issues located there, but you are free to create new ones.

Another solution for this would be just to make your own channel and use that for a bit, or use PM. That way you still have the benefit of real time communication.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that can work too. I generally only share my stuff privately, although I occasionally did it publicly when it did not involve specific sensitive life info in particular. The problem is if for example a member comes out on IRC and someone IRL is stalking him online and sees it, then the person might be in big trouble. And any drama adds tension which makes the atmosphere unpleasant, even if people share compassion with their online friends with life troubles. Having it on the forums gives people the freedom to read it whenever they please rather than inaverdently running into it on IRC just before a stressful exam or work shift or something. Same goes for debates that can get heated (plus those debates are annoying when they happen in the middle of an interesting topic, since we might not necessarily want to see them).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

allynfolksjr

Dream of Omnimaga

GalacticPirate

Donald Trump, or the man who would be able to ruin my entire future life :P
[spoiler]But, wait... Am I breaking the forum's rules ? :trollface: [/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Dream of Omnimaga

Follow up of the @aeTIos @Caleb Hansberry  @Juju @Max Leiter @Streetwalrus @STV and whoever I might have forgotten:

We    made a topic warning people to keep those religion/politics debates into the forums and keep them out of the chat for a reason. Since no one is listening, the next time a debate goes this far it's a permanent CodeWalrus IRC and WalrusIRC ban, regardless of status (staff or not). There will be no warning and there will be no way to appeal it. This is valid for everyone who refuses to move the debate to forums or continue oarticipating on the chat.

gameblabla

Butt... YYYY ? ;(

It was fun talking about politics and all on IRC.
I fear that this rule will prevent me from participating here on CW at all.

Adieu Adolf Hitler and the nazis, adieu religions, adieu controversal topics.
Adieu Codewalrus
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

novenary

Just to clarify: for now the permban thing is not in  effect until we've taken a decision. I want a better way to handle that.

In the meantime, please hold debates on the forum instead of IRC. This is so you can be more considerate about what you write and as such do it in a more civilized manner. Constructive debates are always better than plain flamewars where no one wants to hear the others' opinions.

Dream of Omnimaga

Maybe the board rules should be edited to disallow those debates on irc outright? We did that on Omni whenever such debate had high risks. On the forums at least we got downvoting/upvoting, more time to think before pressing enter and it's easier to read people's opinion

novenary

Yup that's the whole point. I think the rule needs to be flexible enough but still have a ban at the highest offense level.

Yuki

Juju   if it continues I'd probably make a post in the staff forum saying to watch y'all   07:56:23
aeTIos   hue   07:56:32
aeTIos   I'm already watching   07:56:41
Juju   and if DJ catches you doing weird argumentation y'know   07:56:42
Streetwalrus   lol
I TOLD YOU MAN

I TOLD YOU ABOUT STAIRS!

Eh, in all seriousness, I do not think it would deserve a permaban. As long as admins are there to control the discussion I'd be okay with such debates. Admins should be able to not put more oil on the fire, though, I won't name anyone but eh? This night's discussion was on a okay level, but it could be worse.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Yeah. The big problem is that it's very easy to lose your cool on a chat, so we need to set some limits.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on July 15, 2016, 06:58:25 PM
Juju   if it continues I'd probably make a post in the staff forum saying to watch y'all   07:56:23
aeTIos   hue   07:56:32
aeTIos   I'm already watching   07:56:41
Juju   and if DJ catches you doing weird argumentation y'know   07:56:42
Streetwalrus   lol
I TOLD YOU MAN

I TOLD YOU ABOUT STAIRS!

Eh, in all seriousness, I do not think it would deserve a permaban. As long as admins are there to control the discussion I'd be okay with such debates. Admins should be able to not put more oil on the fire, though, I won't name anyone but eh? This night's discussion was on a okay level, but it could be worse.
My rage fit earlier was more due to people not listening when you and street said to move the discussion to forums, though, despite the PSA topic posted a few months ago. It was also due to what happened next in private because I feared Street was instating some sort of double-standard (eg making offensive content against CW rules only if it doesn't target muslims), which would have been a repeat of certain pre-CW events. And also due to some internal staff issues that should probably have been handled long ago.