You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here. | New CodeWalrus | Old (dark mode) | Old (light) | Discord server

CWick Contest #2: 1-bit music [Houston Tracker 2][1-bit][chiptune]

b/Contests Started by Yuki, October 10, 2015, 05:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

u/Yuki October 15, 2015, 06:48:10 PM
Thank you! By the way, I remind you, the deadline is Friday 23:59 EST.
Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 07:04:48 PM by Juju
u/Yuki October 17, 2015, 04:47:35 AM
Well... The contest is done now, right? Now to the judging!

The contestants are @garvalf and... yeah, congratulations, you won by default. That's kind of a boring way to win, but your song was quite good, so I think you still deserved it. I'll put it online in the contest folder later today for those who wish to listen to it.

See ya for a future contest!
u/Dream of Omnimaga October 17, 2015, 04:52:42 AM
Aw sorry to hear that there weren't many entries, but I guess that school might have been an issue since many people seems busy. Perhaps that contest idea could be brought back at one point and with other calculator music softwares? Also I can't wait to listen to the entry.

ALso perhaps it might have been better to wait at the end of the month for this contest or make it a week longer to give people enough time to familiarize themselves with HT2?
Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:57:32 AM by DJ Omnimaga
u/garvalf October 17, 2015, 05:25:47 AM
Ah!
It's a pity I was alone on this, but anyway I had a great deal of fun to compose it.
I'll put the song on SoundCloud soon.
u/Dream of Omnimaga October 17, 2015, 05:28:05 AM
Cool, let us know when you do :)
u/garvalf October 17, 2015, 06:22:16 AM
ok it's done now:

https://soundcloud.com/garvalf/archeocat-versus-cybercat

I'll post later the TI binary on my website.

it's true the deadline was quite close to the announcement. I had some advance in learning it because I was lucky to be one of the HT2 beta testers ;)
Well, maybe there could be a new 1-bit music contest in the future?
u/aetios October 17, 2015, 11:45:43 AM
I wasn't even aware of this. How about a notice on the frontpage with a mention of the current running CWick Contest?
u/Dream of Omnimaga October 17, 2015, 10:33:54 PM
THe issue is that they often were launched just minutes before news articles were posted, so finding a slot for those news without harming other news was extremely hard. We could do them anyway, but there are always risks of said news getting bumped down by another news less than minutes later.

We could also edit the welcome message to mention the contests, though.

Also awesome song @garvalf :D , I wonder which drum did you use?
Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:35:47 PM by DJ Omnimaga
u/utz October 18, 2015, 01:03:31 PM
Pity about the low turnout. I actually abstained on purpose because it felt kind of strange to participate in a contest using my own tool. But no doubt the "winning" track is excellent, so congrats @garvalf :)
u/novenary October 18, 2015, 01:29:46 PM
Wow indeed, it sounds fantastic. Great job. Again I'm really impressed by HT2, props to you utz. :)
u/garvalf October 18, 2015, 09:01:38 PM
thanks.

QuoteI wonder which drum did you use?

I used the default one indeed, just 1 + 2 + 7 or 8. I haven't tried the other modes yet.

I've used some equaliser but not too much. The original sound directly plugged into my netbook's input was quite harsh (it was a bit different from my earphones)
u/Dream of Omnimaga October 18, 2015, 09:09:23 PM
Ah ok. I myself use the default drums 1 and 2.
Website statistics

MyCalcs | Ticalc.org | Cemetech | Omnimaga | TI-Basic Developer | MaxCoderz | TI-Story | Casiocalc.org | Casiopeia | The Museum of HP Calculators | HPCalc.org | CnCalc.org | Music 2000 Community | TI Education | Casio Education | HP Calcs | NumWorks | SwissMicros | Sharp Calculators