Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What GC/Wii Game Should I Get?

Started by 123outerme, December 06, 2015, 11:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

I'm planning on getting some GameCube or Wii game soon, and here's what I'm thinking about:
*Super Smash Bros Melee (I can find this at GameStop, so I don't have to pay 70$ online :crazy: . I'm an avid Project M player but I'm not sure I want two copies of the same thing, although I know they are slightly different.)
*LoZ: Wind Waker (I can find this at GameStop too, but if not I can find a cheaper disc online than Melee. I also love me a good Zelda game)
*LoZ: Skyward Sword (I know I can find this at GameStop, but the question is: this over Wind Waker? Prob not)
*Mario Kart Wii

If you know of another Wii/GameCube game I'd probably enjoy, tell me. I'll check it out.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Gamestop still sells non-sports GCN games? O.O

I would get Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii, and if you can find those for cheap, Skies of Arcadia, Xenoblade Chronicles. And get the Mario Galaxy games as well as New Super Mario Bros Wii.

If you're into FPS games, Metroid Prime series is also a good buy.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 06, 2015, 11:35:30 PM

I would get Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii, and if you can find those for cheap, Skies of Arcadia, Xenoblade Chronicles. And get the Mario Galaxy games as well as New Super Mario Bros Wii.

At least, someone told me you could still find Melee at GameStops around here. I have yet to check for myself but he would know.
I know that MKWii is really fun, a friend loaned it to me. IDK about MKDD, I'll have to see. I've heard of Skies of Arcadia and Xenoblade, but I'm not sure their the types of games I'm looking for. A friend also has the Metroid Prime trilogy so I could borrow them from him. But out of the ones on my list, which one do you think is the best/most worth it?

bb010g

I'd go with Xenoblade or Wind Waker.
  • Calculators owned: HP 50g, Prime, 28S, 35S, Casio Prizm, dead Nspire CX CAS

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: 123outerme on December 06, 2015, 11:42:09 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 06, 2015, 11:35:30 PM

At least, someone told me you could still find Melee at GameStops around here. I have yet to check for myself but he would know.
I know that MKWii is really fun, a friend loaned it to me. IDK about MKDD, I'll have to see. I've heard of Skies of Arcadia and Xenoblade, but I'm not sure their the types of games I'm looking for. A friend also has the Metroid Prime trilogy so I could borrow them from him. But out of the ones on my list, which one do you think is the best/most worth it?
Over here, the local Gamestop is the only one still selling PSP, Xbox, GC and PS2 games, and all that is left for consoles are sports games, especially football, for $2 each. Most PSP stuff seems to be indie games or overpriced stuff the store forgot about years ago. All other Gamestops nearby have stopped selling those games ages ago and are phasing out PS3/360 stuff at a very fast pace.

For older stuff I have to go to Microplay, La Planque or Free Game.

By the way, if you are lucky, maybe you'll find Wind Waker with the Ocarina of Time CD included?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

I'm not a huge fan of smash myself, but for the other games:
-Zelda TWW and SS are great choices, I'd also suggest the GameCube version of Twilight Princess (which has far superior controls compared to the Wii, and it was originally made for the GC anyway), though that might be expensive.
-I prefer Double Dash to MK Wii, it's rather unique since you have two characters on the same kart, and that implies an interesting 2 player mode.
-If you don't mind the soulless English voice acting, Tales of Symphonia is one of the best RPGs for the GC.
-Pokemon Colosseum/XD should be more known than they are, very nice RPGs, much more mature than the handheld series but with similar gameplay (minus wild pokemons in Colosseum).
-Metroid Prime and Prime II: need I say more ? It's not focused on shooting contrary to what DJ said, it's mostly an exploration game. They perfectly translated the Metroid universe into 3D and the first person view is the most logical for this.
-Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, which I haven't played yet but seems great.
-Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario.
-There are some Resident Evil titles on the GC as well.

aetios

Quote from: 123outerme on December 06, 2015, 11:25:02 PM
I'm planning on getting some GameCube or Wii game soon, and here's what I'm thinking about:
*Super Smash Bros Melee (I can find this at GameStop, so I don't have to pay 70$ online :crazy: . I'm an avid Project M player but I'm not sure I want two copies of the same thing, although I know they are slightly different.)
*LoZ: Wind Waker (I can find this at GameStop too, but if not I can find a cheaper disc online than Melee. I also love me a good Zelda game)
*LoZ: Skyward Sword (I know I can find this at GameStop, but the question is: this over Wind Waker? Prob not)
*Mario Kart Wii

If you know of another Wii/GameCube game I'd probably enjoy, tell me. I'll check it out.

-Melee: Great game, but to be *very* honest, Brawl is a LOT better as a party game (No, really. I'm not kidding, try special brawl with tons of items and weird effects. Coin fights are epic, too) and for competitive playing you have PM.
-LOZ: WW and SS are both awesome, keep in mind that you need a wii motionplus controller for SS. As for whether ss over ww, they're two games worth getting. If i had the choice, I wouln't be so sure what to take. (Note: see what I wrote in my SMG1/2 description)
-Mario Kart Wii: Not very fond of this, but can be fun when you play with a gamecube controller. The biggest problem is too many players on the track and as a result way too many items that can hit you 1 second before you cross the finish line.

All in all I'd roll a dice between Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

Some games you might like in no particular order:
Metroid Prime: Protip: get the Trilogy, it's on Wii and it has revamped (IR-based) controls for all 3 games. Works really well. Might be a tad expensive though, it's sort of rare (I paid like €60)
F-Zero GX: Racing at 2000kph, what more do I need to say. All-time classic for the GCN with tight controls and a very challenging story mode. This game is actually considered one of the hardest games on the GameCube due to said story mode (so far, I've only gotten to like, mission 3)
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: Another sort-of rare game (be prepared to pay~ $50 ish? maybe with some searching you can get it for little money), but very much worth getting. Solid storyline and fancy graphics.
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. IGN rated SMG2 the greatest Wii game of all time. I just wrote that, but it appears they updated the list to have Skyward Sword at the #1 position.
Donkey Kong Country Returns: Classic platforming with a Wiimote twist for More Interactivity [TM]. In all seriosity, this is just a great game and you can play it with both 1 and 2 players.
Kirby's Return to Dreamland: THIS GAME SUCKS*

@Streetwalrus also had some real good suggestions, I can very much second his Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes recommendation, as I've beaten that game.  Lots of fun, sort of short but there's two endings possible so there's your replay value.
As for Tales of Symphonia I would recommend getting either ToS Chronicles for PS3 or waiting until it comes out on Steam next year, because the english VA is no less than gross. Pity, 'cause the girls in these games look so cute uwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwu Q.Q

...whew that was a loooong post.

see what I did here. hehe. This game is actually really cool.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Araidia

I also highly recommend brawl. The Lego games are also pretty fun, but don't have much to do after you beat them, unless you like looking for all of the collectibles and characters. Kirby's Epic Yarn is also one of the best(in my opinion) because of the level design and the mechanics. Kirby's Return to Dreamland is really fun if you have someone to play it with, but wasn't as good as Epic Yarn.
(I have a load of Wii Games XD)
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

ben_g

Quote from: 123outerme on December 06, 2015, 11:25:02 PM
*Mario Kart Wii

I never played Super Smash Bros Melee, so I can't really tell anything about it.
LoZ: Wind Waker and LoZ: Skyward sword are both great games, but they're quite different in controls and in the way the story is told. Skyward sword is very story-driven and quite linear, while Wind waker feels more adventure-focused. It just depends on what you prefer. Some really dislike the 1:1 controls of Skyward Sword, so maybe you should give it a try on an emulator first (or borrow the game disk from someone). They felt very responsive to me though, and because aiming things isn't IR-based, you can sit comfortably in the couch in any way you like and it will always be able to detect where you are pointing it, provided you do the calibration correctly.
Mario Kart Wii is very fun when you play it with friends/family in split-screen, and that would be my suggestion if you're planning to play it that way, but if you want something to play by yourself, then I personally would go for one of the Zelda games, but maybe that's just because I'm a Zelda fan  <_< )

123outerme

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
As for thinking about Melee despite having Project M, PM is a lot less stable, has more characters (so more weird stuff I could encounter), a less defined metagame, and isn't usually streamed in tournaments, due to Nintendo seeming to (want to) C&D anyone who does. I want to take my competitive Smash to the next level, or at least get a taste of that, and so that's why I want Melee. Although I'm not sure I want to get it.
I was also thinking about writing SMG1/2 on my list, but I'm looking for a longer/more filled game. I feel like the Zeldas, Metroids, or RPGs are what I'm looking at.

calcplays

I know that Super Mario Galaxy is great, based off of personal experience. So is Kirby's Epic Yarn, actually, but that one isn't very long. Another good game is GoldenEye 007, which supports GameCube controls and has all sorts of people to shoot (no online anymore, though split screen remains.)

Dream of Omnimaga

Does anyone knows if Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is still fun to play in single-player mode or if it's only good in multiplayer? It's like Zelda: Four Swords but Final Fantasy-related.

Also Is GoldenEye 007 a remake of the Nintendo 64 game? That game rules :O

Also @123outerme the reason why I suggested Xenoblade and Skies of Arcadia is because since you made Sorcery of Uvutu, Dragonsglid and Source Seekers, I thought you liked JRPGs. :P

As for Kirby Epic Yarn, I didn't mind it at first, but I found the NPC dialogs between stages to be too long and slowing down the game pace. I think dialogs and conversations this long and such large amounts of them don't have their place inside a run and jump platformer. Super Paper Mario for the Wii had the same problem. It's ok for Paper Mario 64 because back then, Paper Mario were RPGs, while Super Paper Mario isn't even remotely close to an RPG.

@aeTIos I have Tales of Symphonia for the Wii and GC, as well as the PS3 version. I actually bought the Wii version after I bought the PS3 version because I felt it had some collectible value. :P

Keoni29

Metroid other M is also a fun game. Because everyone says it's bad it can be picked up very cheap second hand.
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

novenary

Oh yeah I only suggested the first two metroid prime games because at first I was only focusing on GC games.

Dream of Omnimaga

Regarding Other M, it was a relief for Metroid fans who hate first-person shooters when it was announced, only to disappoint some when they discovered that the game still had first-person view sequences. I also heard that the difficulty was extremely high. Other than that I couldn't see what is really bad about the game.