Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Natural disasters!

Started by alexgt, May 02, 2015, 06:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I didn't know there were higher risks of aftershocks if the earthquake epicenter was closer to the ground surface. Also the type of soil doesn't help sometimes, since earthquake shockwaves travel easier through some of them.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Why larger earthquakes are so rare in MI is because the loose sand and pebbles lower in the ground, they act as a spring and absorb the shock but sometimes at the surface they will travel quicker with less stuff in their way so more energy is released on buildings so they are good and bad. The after shocks are just waves that come when the ground settles or that are slower waves that take longer to travel through rock. (I just got done with earthquake stuff in science)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah this is why the new Quebec City arena had hundreds of concrete or steel pillars inserted underground because the ground was similar and while shockwaves travel harder in there, buildings are less resistant on it. There is higher chances of soil movement as well I guess.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Well not much is going to tear those buildings up. Have you ever thought about gravity reversing directions but instead of up it pulled side ways O.O?

Dream of Omnimaga

I am definitively curious about how resistant the building would be against such stuff. In any case, if most newer buildings go through a 6.0 earthquake fine in Quebec City area, they would still need to check the structures for any crack and potential damage, in case buildings would collapse during a much smaller earthquake.

In any case I think I can wait for a big earthquake. Same for tornadoes. Back in 2008 I remember coming back from the doctor on a stormy afternoon and under the storm clouds we could notice cone-shaped things that seemed to rotate a little bit. It was a bit scary. Also last Summer a big storm cloud that went over my home seemed to rotate, so I paid closer attention to it (there was barely any wind, though).

alexgt

Tornadoes are what I would fear most because you anticipate them since you can see then sucking up your house O.O that would be scary. I have had a lot of thunder storms but no tornadoes have actually touched down in MI for a while.

Dream of Omnimaga

For tornadoes don't you have to go in the basement or in the very center of the house in an enclosed place like the bathroom? I kinda forgot, but I definitively wouldn't want to be close to windows or outside if one would hit over here. That said, even a bit windy storm could be scary since it could blow stuff through my window.

Unicorn

The baement I think,but if Iwas in the bathroom a toilet would be my choice.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Also break the window and stick glass in you OUCH!

Unicorn

Luckily, the only tornado here was a waterspout that destrayd a super market way back when.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 07, 2015, 07:18:37 PM
Yeah this is why the new Quebec City arena had hundreds of concrete or steel pillars inserted underground because the ground was similar and while shockwaves travel harder in there, buildings are less resistant on it. There is higher chances of soil movement as well I guess.
Isn't normally done on homes? I mean where i live they also slam pillars in the ground, but only when they're building a house or something on it. Since im in The Netherlands the ground is quite soft and we use the pillars to reach the harder sand layers :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

Oh, cool. I always figured it was for the taller newer skyscrapers that are in earthquake zones.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

I just hope no one has to go through a major natural disaster like a big tornado or something :)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Technology marches on and allow us to have epic skycrapers ignoring earthquakes. I remember a building having a central structure joined by springs or something like that that would balance the effect done by a quake. Amazing.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Ivoah

There was an earthquake in Maryland while we were visiting my aunt an uncle (in maryland), but I didn't know about until after because I was swimming in their pool and didn't feel it at all :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE