Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Android] TwoStep - The challenging puzzle game!

Started by DarkestEx, February 12, 2015, 04:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

I will be soon posting an update on this. But really I am sorry, but I can't do two projects in two completely different languages simultaneously.
Android <> TI-84+ are completely different programming languages and execution models.
But will first make another big update on the 84+ Version and then redo the whole codebase of this game from the gound off.
It will be so much work and this is my first Android game title, so please don't judge me for that. I collected some experience on game development for Android and can do this now way better.
I am happy to say that the textures are looking awesome and I can't wait to redo the Android version!

PS: And a big part of the work is already done: My development environment is working and cross compiling. So there will be an Android and a PC/Mac/Linux version of the game. I wrote my own gradle scripts and set up my IntelliJIdea project correctly and working, so there won't be too much problems.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

I understand your feelings. If you notice, I rarely ever worked on two projects at once myself. Usually, when I resume another project, everything else gets paused. It's too annoying to work with 2 languages simultaneously >.< (even HP PPL vs BASIC) because I keep mixing the syntax up.

In any case, I wish you good luck with the rewrite. It should probably make the game better as you say (just don't fall into an endless rewrite loop lol :P). Also I'm glad there is a PC/Mac version coming out, it should open the game to a larger audience. I also can't wait to see the new textures. :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Hmm. Maybe I have to drop the Android version.
I am not sure if I am able to write the game in java :(
If I can't it will still be published for PC, Mac and Linux and then not written in Java, but in C#.
I just can't work with that Y-Up coordinate system. Making animations, maps and textures Y-Down and then having to draw everything Y-Up is just too much for me. Has anybody experience with Java and libGdx and could help me, getting it to render Y-Down? The last version I published was using quick and dirty hacks to get the map rendered, but it is just not stable at all and crashes everytime possible.

UPDATE on this:
I am writing the whole game in C# now. I won't drop Android though. It will just be paused. Writing it in C# is extremely easy for me and is done way faster.
So you can expect 3 different platforms now :P

This will also mean, that you can see the Android version as Paused / On Hold. It will be made at some point, but maybe not by me or not in the next time.
The Windows version will be made first. Then I need to port the SFML native libs to Linux / Mac somehow. Maybe when the structure works I can copy / paste parts of the C# version into the Java one. The whole process will thereby be way slower on the Android side, but the Windows version could be done in a small amount of time :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad the Android version is surviving :). That said I think it's best that you use the language you are comfortable with. If it's too unpleasant to code then you can get bored of the project much easier. Sometimes we have no choice to switch to different languages but yeah. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U