Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

TwoStep - The challenging puzzle game! [Windows] [Mac] [Linux]

Started by DarkestEx, April 06, 2015, 05:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 12, 2015, 04:31:34 AM
This is what I get D:

Windows 7 64 bit
1st gen Intel i7 processor
AMD Radeon HD 6700 series
Looks bad. Have you tried both, the amd64 and the i386 version. On my 64-bit i3 only the i386 version works for some reason.

Feel free to download the new update, where you can move, and with the new Lua JIT compiler.
You can edit the script in Scripts\Main.lua and see what heppens.

Here are the downloads for Version pa150412a:
EDIT: Downloads removed
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

DarkestEx

I am not really sure how i want to do the lua integration.
ATM you can replace default functions with your custom lua functions and be able to receive all sorts of events and stuff.
So basically you can make a level with no code, but only a Init() function that loads the level data.
But you can also override all default functions and do all sorts of things and manipulate the whole environment.

EDIT 2:
Download and lua removed. They're deprecated now.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

DarkestEx

New Update!

Here's the changelog:
- Redone alot of the interfaces
- Allow Lua to subscribe to all possible engine events by creating specially named functions
- Redirected print function to log class
- Added a Space class which allows random background generation
- Partially implemented a SimpleLevel class which allows the creation of levels, without being a Lua pro
- Made all Lua event functions optional; Init(), Update(delta), Draw(target, delta) and Destroy() functions are not optional
- Outsourced the character functions to the Lua part
- Added Level lua variable
- Redone Tile and Level interfaces and classes
- Added a rudimentary loading screen class
- Fixed the Main.lua sample level code

Download it here:
Windows, i386
Windows, amd64

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Nice work! :D I should try it in some free time!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 13, 2015, 06:32:16 PM
amd64 version not found?  O.O
Sorry. Thanks for pointing it out. :)
I accidentally named the file incorrectly.
It should work now.

Dream of Omnimaga

It still doesn't O.O

ANyway I downloaded the i386 version now and it works (although it took a bit to start). I assume the graphics are temporary, right? (although I kinda like the portal-like sprites :D)

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

DarkestEx

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 14, 2015, 01:37:57 PM
Yep, still can't download it .-.
Sorry. I made two typos in the file name  O.O
They're fixed now.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 14, 2015, 06:32:32 AM
ANyway I downloaded the i386 version now and it works (although it took a bit to start). I assume the graphics are temporary, right? (although I kinda like the portal-like sprites :D)
Thanks. Well, the textures you see are not temporary. The level and the background are temporary. The blocks will be set on floating isles, there will be a flying animation (see the Jetpack) and most of the blocks need to be implemented. Right now these blocks are not doing anything.

Oh, and @DJ Omnimaga, try pressing the W key. I made a little easter egg to test the engine into the level.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oooh I like that jetpack idea. It will make the game original as top-down view game. :D

As for the easter egg I already am betting it will involve :walrii: :P

EDIT: Lol I was right about Walrii. (Although I expected the character to change to Walrii :P)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Maje him fly to the sky while saying "I must go, my people need me".

Something like this :
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

DarkestEx

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on April 15, 2015, 10:52:19 AM
Maje him fly to the sky while saying "I must go, my people need me".

Something like this :
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 15, 2015, 02:32:46 PM
"I must go, my forum needs me" ?
Yeah why not :D

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 15, 2015, 01:35:45 AM
Oooh I like that jetpack idea. It will make the game original as top-down view game. :D

As for the easter egg I already am betting it will involve :walrii: :P

EDIT: Lol I was right about Walrii. (Although I expected the character to change to Walrii :P)

Great that you like it. Creating a real :walrii: character actually pretty easy. If you give me the permission, I will include it as a character in the binary.

We are in alpha stage now!!!  ;D

Download the update here:
amd64
i386

Screenshot:

Changes:
- Redone tile interface
- Added TileCollection class
- Added Void block
- Added Solid block
- Added Portal block
- Fixed many bugs and issues
- Cleaned up code
- Optimized the lua routines
- Tiles now check if step is valid
- Tiles are now updated (animations possible)
- Speed improved
- Dynamic background added
- Broke whole tile api compatibility, but it is worth it
- Many conversion functions
- More unlisted improvements and additions

Post #10003 :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome to hear it's now in alpha :D. You have permission to use Walrii. Just say the sprite is Codewalr.us mascot I guess. Also if your game ever has power ups that lets you jump much further, you could probably use the flying walrii when jumping that far in walrii mode:

The only problem with using Walrii as a character is that there is no Walrii sprite facing north and south (since it was designed for platform games) :P

EDIT: You should put the controls in your post as well as in the first topic post by the way. I ran a search for controls on this forum topic and it matched 0 results.

Also if I was to ever get inspiration , space music or some old school game music that fits the space mood would definitively be nice. :) But of course, there are only slim chances that I do new music in the near future

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 16, 2015, 03:37:06 AM
Awesome to hear it's now in alpha :D. You have permission to use Walrii. Just say the sprite is Codewalr.us mascot I guess. Also if your game ever has power ups that lets you jump much further, you could probably use the flying walrii when jumping that far in walrii mode:

Yeah I promise that I'll do that ;)

The only problem with using Walrii as a character is that there is no Walrii sprite facing north and south (since it was designed for platform games) :P
Yeah, It will be a easter egg then. If somebody comes up with one from the front and one from the back I will implement Walrii as a real official character.

EDIT: You should put the controls in your post as well as in the first topic post by the way. I ran a search for controls on this forum topic and it matched 0 results.
You're right. I will add them to the description.

Also if I was to ever get inspiration , space music or some old school game music that fits the space mood would definitively be nice. :) But of course, there are only slim chances that I do new music in the near future
That would be great  ;D. Please let me know when you make some.