Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Which game in this list is your favorite?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 13, 2016, 04:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which game in this list is your favorite?

Desert Bus
2 (20%)
CrazyBus
0 (0%)
Hong Kong 97
1 (10%)
Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing
2 (20%)
Superman 64
0 (0%)
Ride to Hell: Retribution
1 (10%)
E.T
3 (30%)
Zelda: Wand of Gamelon
1 (10%)
Pyongyang Racer
0 (0%)
Plumbers Don't Wear Ties
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Dream of Omnimaga

So I was wondering... if you were forced to choose one of the 7 games in the poll above, which one would be your favorite? :trollface:

Also https://desertbus.org/
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Dessert bus: not only is the game HIGHLY realistic, but the game also servers as a perfect metaphor for life (which most people dont realize).
:trollface:

GuyInFreezer

Hong Kong 97 obviously. Just check out that fantastic BGM it has there.

pimathbrainiac

ET wasn't actually that bad a game. Buggy, yes. Bad for its time, yes. Symbol of the video game crash, yes. Cause of the crash, no.

* pimathbrainiac runs
Well, I'm bach here too!

ben_g

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on February 13, 2016, 03:14:52 PM
ET wasn't actually that bad a game. Buggy, yes. Bad for its time, yes. Symbol of the video game crash, yes. Cause of the crash, no.

* pimathbrainiac runs
From what I've heard, it really isn't a bad game, it was just different than most other games, quite cryptic and the location of objects changed every playtrough. Because most people didn't read the manual, they just didn't know what to do, and that gave it it's bad reputation.
I haven't played it myself though. I grew up with console generations 5, 6 and 7 and I almost never play anything older than that.

Dream of Omnimaga

@pimath there is actually a ROM hack of E.T floating around, IIRC, which fixes most of the issues found in E.T, such as the pits that were too large or close to edges of the screen. The problem with the game is that if you don't have the instruction manual, then it's next to impossible to figure out how to play. The graphics were also considered sub-par per Atari standards, but I found some of the sprites to be fine.

In the 90's and early 2000's, in order to be good, a video game had to be playable without the manual, which probably didn't help E.T reputation over time. But yeah, while it's among the worst games ever, it's not the worst of all.

That reminds me, I forgot to add Zelda: Wand of Gameleon to the list. :P

EDIT: Also, personally I was torn between Hong Kong 97 and Big Rigs in this list. Both games provided me a good laugh, but Hong Kong 97 loses by the fact some of it is of bad taste,for example, the racism in the intro and the pictures of real dead bodies (yes, there is more than one. But how the intro is so ridiculous is still enough to generate hilarity.

But Big Rigs is just so bad that it's hilarious to play, especially if you try completing an entire race in reverse (good luck). My personal favorites in summary (from most to least favorites) are the following:

Big Rigs (too funny)
Hong Kong 97 (same but not as much)
E.T (it isn't as bad as it's made to be, but I got bored of it fast)
Zelda Wand of Gamelon (the infamous cutscenes)
Superman 64 (going through the loops is probably the most frustrating experience ever)
Ride to Hell: Retribution (never played it, but there's no way it's worse than the two bus games)
CrazyBus (the soundtrack. Seriously, @matrefeytontias you should do a guitar cover of it)
Desert Bus (no comment... ok I know it's the most realistic experience of the 8, but how this game came into existence is beyond me O.O)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

I somehow missed Yeong's post the other day...

Quote from: GuyInFreezer on February 13, 2016, 03:06:24 PM
Hong Kong 97 obviously. Just check out that fantastic BGM it has there.
Crazybus title screen theme is where it's at. @utz , listen to this marvel of a 16-bits soundtrack:

utz

Lol yeah most epic game soundtrack indeed :D My vote goes for Desert Bus though. A game way ahead of it's time, if you think about some of the utterly pointless junk that's considered a game these days. I mean, if they'd added some uber-flashy "UPGREYDD ACHIEVEMENT YOU SO GREAT GOGOGO SPARKLESPARKLE" messages to disguise the utter boredom that it is, people would totally dig that game nowadays.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Yuki

Desert Bus was designed by the magicians Penn & Teller for a collection of prank and scam minigames, after criticism videogames were too violent, they just decided to make the most inoffensive and boring game ever. Sadly, due to the developer and the publisher going out of business and some weird stuff about intellectual rights after they went out of business, the duo never got to release their game outside of some game reviewers.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah Desert Bus was meant to be a simulation of real life, but they chose the worst possible thing to simulate (a 8 hours ride to Las Vegas). But I guess that was the point.

As for Big Rigs, if it had come out in 2010 or later, I am 100% sure that Stellar Stone would have tried to release bug fixes via paid DLC that just changes the YOU'RE WINNER screen, add AI and such stuff. Since they split the game in two releases (the other has cars and collision detection but horrible cameras) to increase sales, I'm sure they would be the first to use DLCs as a cash machine.

Dream of Omnimaga

That reminds me, should I add Pyongyang Racer to the list? :P

http://www.pyongyangracer.co/

Just the car engine noise while driving and the fact your headphones will blow up while honking is enough.

Araidia

I can't believe it was made in North Korea...
But it makes it more fun and you can have a laugh at it.
Played the game and it borderline half-decent and bad
The music was somehow ok
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I think it's the only North Korea release in existence, and it shows. :P The graphics look like Nintendo 64 stuff at times and the sound effects are just bad to the point of hilarity (unless cars really sounds like that in DPRK?)

Also notice how the other cars on the road never move and how long the race is. The only positive about this game is that it perfectly depicts how North Korean roads are: Nearly empty of cars. The music was cool, though.

aetios

I played that game once. IIRC it's only one lap that lasts 7:30 minutes. I kinda enjoyed playing though :)
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Did you hold down the honk button with your volume up? You might have changed your mind. :P