Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[4x3 contest] [PC] [.NET] TwelvePx - The pixel adventure game

Started by DarkestEx, April 29, 2015, 09:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Hello,
my contest entry will be an adventure game for the TI-84+ written in Axe and with grayscale.
It will feature dialogs, items and have maps (obviously). I am not going to tell you more now, but I can say, that the grayscale graphics engine is already working and alot of the graphics releated internals are done (I started today!).

It will have scrolling text (3x3) too.

The screen size will be 4x3 with 4 shades of gray.

Greeting, Benedikt

Maze-style game.
Reach the blue box.
It is a windows program.
Written in C#
only one level yet. sorry!
and support for more.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Unicorn

Sounds good, I suggest typing the dialogues out in a readme.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

DarkestEx

Quote from: Unicorn on April 29, 2015, 09:57:40 PM
Sounds good, I suggest typing the dialogues out in a readme.
Yes, I will not only scroll them on screen, but I will also put them into the readme.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice. Will you have a scrolling maze-type map or something? As for text I would recommend that when it scrolls that there is nothing else in the screen in the meantime so it's easier to read. Also keep it short lol :P

Since you are using a grayscale instead of color calc, I wonder how do you plan to represent HP, MP and whatever stats that are applicable? I have ideas in mind but with 4 shades of gray I doubt we can hit the 9999 HP mark lol.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Yeah keep in mind text will be super hard to read. Also i had the idea for maze too, seems like something a lot can be done with. I think i'll do soething elsee though...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

Here's a screenshot of the prototype showing Text scrolling.

Dream of Omnimaga

I like it so far :D I had a bit of troubles to make the difference between the a and m but not much can be done with fonts this small anyway. A solution could be to make text rotated sideways but then the user has to rotate his calc to read it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

I find it still hard to read :/ but it works and looks quite cool.

alexgt

MAIN MENU? Dialogs would be hard to read quickly unless the player got very used to reading like that, good work so far though :)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

DarkestEx

Quote from: alexgt on May 02, 2015, 08:22:15 PM
MAIN MENU? Dialogs would be hard to read quickly unless the player got very used to reading like that, good work so far though :)
I will provide a list of all characters, so that you can compare. Also it scrolls and repeats over and over, so it should be readable.
Maybe I will even provide a key to pause the scrolling, so that you can read even better.

alexgt

Quote from: DarkestEx on May 02, 2015, 08:52:28 PM
Quote from: alexgt on May 02, 2015, 08:22:15 PM
Maybe I will even provide a key to pause the scrolling, so that you can read even better.
Pausing is a good idea :)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

I agree. Also there could be a key to stop text scrolling that lets you move it back and forth as you wish, kinda like when in BASIC you use Pause "long string of text that doesn't fit in the screen" instead of Disp "long string of text that doesn't fit in the screen".

Also such text would kinda remind me of vending machines that didn't have more than 4 character slots and had the text scrolling when it said "sold out". :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

If you ever want to make some sort of trailer, there is a good chiptune called Twelve from Pixeltune! ;) good luck with your project, your goal looks quite big
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

DarkestEx

Source is here, as the contest ended: http://dl.muessigb.net/CW_Contest/TwelvePx-Source.zip
Binary is here: http://dl.muessigb.net/CW_Contest/TwelvePx-Source.zip

EDIT: Post #300  ;D

Snektron