Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Sonic Mania 25th Anniversary

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, July 23, 2016, 05:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

To celebrate Sonic's 25th anniversary, Sega will release a new Sonic game that has a retro feel, to pay tribute to Sonic roots:

What do you think about it? I personally think this could be good, but it depends of many factors. Some Sonic games were filled with bugs in recent years, and the 15th anniversary GBA port of Sonic 1 was one prime example. I hope that Sonic 25th anniversary won't suffer the same fate. I personally liked Sonic Generations a lot. I hope it's not made by the same team as Sonic 1 GBA, Sonic 2006 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

I also hope it comes out on the NX or Wii U.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

I'M SO BUYING THIS

SEGA SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

I mean, sounds like they're making a new retro game that looks like Sonic CD, and that's pretty nice, kinda like how Capcom did Megaman 9/10. Of course it's made by licensed third parties (I spotted the guy who made the Sonic CD port to Xbox 360, among others), maybe Sonic Team is woking on something else?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

gameblabla

Yeah, Christian Whitehead made some kickass Sonic remakes like that Sonic CD remake on Android i absolutely loved along
with the Sonic 2 remake.
Powered by the Headcannon engine, nonetheless !

Fan made better 2D games than Sega, it seems that they listened to them, which is good.

And yeah, the anniversary games, apart from the 10th one with Sonic Adventure 2, were not very stellar.
Sonic Riders and Shadow the Hedgehog for the 15th Anniversary and the 20th anniversary, while not as bad,
was disappointing.

I see a bright future for Sega, they finally listened !
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

They finally listened, but for how long? Because it seems that once they make a good Sonic game, they're back at making bad ones again soon afterwards.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 23, 2016, 06:08:43 AM
They finally listened, but for how long? Because it seems that once they make a good Sonic game, they're back at making bad ones again soon afterwards.
Well, maybe i was exaggerating a wee bit.
But still, i was saying this because they (finally) released how bad their games were after the release of Sonic Boom : Rise of Lyrics...
They even delayed the sequel to that game to make sure the game is good !
Still, it took them 10 years after Sonic '06 to understand that...

Yuki

Isn't Sonic Generations a 20th anniversary game, IIRC? It wasn't that bad.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

gameblabla

Quote from: Juju on July 23, 2016, 06:11:34 AM
Isn't Sonic Generations a 20th anniversary game, IIRC? It wasn't that bad.
Yeah, that game is pretty good but it's more an hommage rather than a brand new game.
It's a game that plays too safe in my opinion. (and i dare to say that Sonic Unleashed was good)

Also, i doubt it will be a NX game, it won't be released until end 2017.

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, after Sonic 2006 they understood to a certain extent. They made Sonic Unleashed and Colors. It didn't stop them from releasing Sonic Boom, though. I am thinking they just follow strict deadlines and thus, half of their games come out as crap. Or maybe they have multiple dev teams and one team in particular is responsible for the bad games?

That said, at least they don't do like Stellar Stone who released their games before they were finished just to save money.

Yuki

Or worse... *shrugs* Early Access

Sonic Team is mostly responsible for the new, bad games, while the homage games, you can't possibly go wrong with that. Especially that, as I mentioned, they went with a third party for Sonic Mania who already made similar games.

EDIT: Here's the other announcement, this one by Sonic Team... well, I'm not sure, but eh, we have Old-Timey Sonic from Generations in there, together with Newer Sonic. Nice, I guess.

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm so this means they'll release two Sonic games, one with retro graphics and the other with new ones? I hope both are good, although for some reasons I get a Shadow the Hedgehog vibe from the 3D one due to the sci-fi post-apocalyptic theme. Hopefully it's still true to Sonic.

Also lol the title screen thing at the end of Sonic Mania video looks exactly like Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. :P

novenary

Awesome, definitely looking forward to it. Now for Nintendo to do the same with Metroid. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh wow, a retro Metroid would be amazing. I would also be fine if it was like Mighty No 9 and featured 3D graphics with side-scrolling perspective. Just as long as they don't ruin it like they did with Other M. At least Sega got it right with Generations.

::CMG (UTOPIA)::

1. Might as well rename this thread "New Sonic Games for 2017" or something if we're gonna talk about the other big game.

2. Sonic Mania is pretty much the only motivation I need to learn how to build a gaming PC from scratch (something I've always wanted to do for years) considering I have no interest in owning a XBONE or PS4.

3. The salt that's coming from Modern Sonic fans between these two games is enormous.  A part of me enjoys it considering I grew up with & enjoy the Genesis/MegDrive games more than any other sonic game, yet the other part of me is reminded why I don't call myself a Sonic "fan" anymore  <_<

Dream of Omnimaga

For me it depends, really. I grew up with Mario during my entire life and only got a Sega Genesis when I turned 20 or so (or maybe later). I didn't play Sonic much beforehand. But I tried many Sonic games afterwards and my favorites were the first four, Sonic CD and Sonic Adventure. I'm not as much of a fan of Sonic 3D Blast and among the newer games I prefer Sonic Generations. It really depends of how well executed and bug-free the games are nowadays  (back then, SOnic games had many glitches, but they did not impair gameplay quality).

::CMG (UTOPIA)::

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 25, 2016, 07:41:16 AM
(back then, SOnic games had many glitches, but they did not impair gameplay quality).

It's not a glitch, it's a feature!  :thumbsup:

For me, once Sonic Adventure came out, it and the games that followed left me with a bad taste in my mouth.  Bad voice acting aside (which half the time i can look past), the controls were what killed it for me with every game.  In regards to SA1 & SA2 I was never fortunate enough to own a Dreamcast so I played the GameCube version of those games.  As for Sonic Heroes & Shadow the Hedgehog, I owned the PS2 version (from what I hear are considered the worst versions). Unleashed Wii wasn't too bad, but once i got to Eggman Land I just gave up after spending an entire day trying to S rank it for the rest of those moon medals and being frustrated with just the general bullc.  My 5th ex had Unleashed for her PS3 and I remeber enjoying that more except for the flying segments.  Colors didn't do anything for me, and i know I'm in the minority of that opinion.  Sonic 06 and Sonic 4 E1&2 are just abysmal.  Generations i enjoyed immensely.

As far as the handhelds go,  I remember enjoying Sonic Advance to a point, even completing the game, it felt like the classics but on the other hand, the level design near the later levels were ass (bottomless pits everywhere).  The 2nd one I only remember playing once cause it was just "blah" and i completely skipped out on the 3rd game.  I gave Rush and Rush and Rush Adventure a chance too but after i finished the main story, I never touched it again.  The "boost to win" mechanic only made me want to play an actual racing game (that didn't have bottomless pits everywhere). Generations on 3DS is just as enjoyable as the regular game.  The only problem is, it looses it's replay ability really fast once you complete every mission and get S rank on everything.  Online mode was saving it for a good while but now it's to the point where nobody goes online in that game anymore.  Last time I played it, i spent over 5 minutes waiting for the game to search for an opponent for me.  Lost World was off to a good start, but then it got to the special stages... yea, great idea Sega, forced gyro controls, nothing I enjoy more than getting dizzy and wanting to puke trying to get all 7 emeralds. [/sarcasm]