Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Sega Genesis 16 bit C programming

Started by Pieman7373, May 31, 2018, 06:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pieman7373

I recently decided to get into the retro-gaming scene, and i wanted to start programming for the sega Genesis. I watched a video to set up the right dev environment, but i understand almost none of the examples included with it, which sucks... Do any of you guys have experience with this?
  • Calculators owned: TI-80, TI-81, TI-82,TI-83+, TI-84+SE, TI-84 Pocket SE, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-92, TI-92 plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Atari 2600, Sega Genesis (model 2), Sega Game Gear, Playstation 2

gameblabla

I'm surprised you don't understand any of the examples, they should be simple, for the most part anyway...
You might want to look at the Sega Genesis specs before trying to understand the examples though.
For example, it has 4 palettes of 16 colors out of 512 pre-defined colors and there's only a background and a foreground = 2 palettes.
Then there are 2 other palettes palettes for sprites too. (you can also use the background's palettes for sprites but that's your call)

There's also BasiEgaxorz, which is a BASIC compiler for the Genesis. If you still don't understand how SGDK work,
then you can still give that one a try.

I have to say, C support on the Genesis is better supported than it is on the Super Nintendo.
It's even better on the Sega 32X where it's actually decent.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Pieman7373

Well, I'm pretty much a novice at C, so that might be why it makes barely any sense  ;)
Thank you for the advice though, I will have to look into those things
  • Calculators owned: TI-80, TI-81, TI-82,TI-83+, TI-84+SE, TI-84 Pocket SE, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-92, TI-92 plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Atari 2600, Sega Genesis (model 2), Sega Game Gear, Playstation 2

123outerme

Quote from: Pieman7373 on May 31, 2018, 06:40:49 AM
Well, I'm pretty much a novice at C, so that might be why it makes barely any sense  ;)
Thank you for the advice though, I will have to look into those things
If you're a novice, I would recommend doing computer projects until you grasp the basics, then jumping into other hardware. Once you understand C and how it works with memory, you can apply that to the memory structure of the Genesis. As well, you can ask anyone on the forum for help, including me. I'd be happy to lend a hand.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends. There's also BEX (BasiEgaXorz), which is similar to BASIC languages, if you're more into that kind of thing. I don't remember if it supports Deflatemask songs, however...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U