Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

ISIS attacks in Paris - Are we safe anymore?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 14, 2015, 06:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

It's because of ISIS that Star Ocean V got censored and now they are killing my brothers....
I'll destroy Mosul
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

tr1p1ea

This is a terrible event, that is all too familiar of late :(.

I'm not sure what has to be done, however *something* does need to be done.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Hayleia on June 13, 2016, 02:19:23 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 12, 2016, 10:00:13 PM
Also before people spits on the 2nd amendment (not that I am really pro-gun but guns don't kill people if owners use common sense), this is ISIS we are talking about here. Even if all firearms were illegal the terrorist group would have smuggled them through the border or using other means.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 13, 2016, 01:15:57 PM
Local news said the guy was very into Islamic State and was a fan of them.
Well, if he was only a fan of them and not sent by them, he probably bought his stuff himself so more regulation could have helped. Though with enough determination, he would probably have managed to get what he wanted anyway.
The problem is that even without the 2nd amendment, people can still buy guns on the black market quite easily if they know where to look and if that fails then they can do it on the Internet it seems. When someone wants to perform a crime he'll go to every length to do it.
Quote from: gameblabla on June 13, 2016, 11:32:39 PM
It's because of ISIS that Star Ocean V got censored and now they are killing my brothers....
I'll destroy Mosul
Wait, did they actually kill members from your family like your mom, dad, uncle and stuff? O.O I hope not.
Quote from: tr1p1ea on June 14, 2016, 12:05:24 AM
This is a terrible event, that is all too familiar of late :(.

I'm not sure what has to be done, however *something* does need to be done.
The main issue is that whatever can be done would either be unethical and discrimatory or cause World War III. I don't think an entire religious group should be deported from USA like some people thinks Trump wants to do, because of the action of a few radicalized people. But I think they might have to do extra surveillance in their home or whatever, which won't  fly with everyone, especially with all complaints about the NSA and stuff. The other drastic solution would be that countries break out of the UNO and attack ISIS headquarters/outposts all-in, even if Russia is against it. But then this could cause certain countries like Russia, Saoudi Arabia and Iran to retaliate and attack USA or something.

Basically we need to eradicate ISIS, but we need to find a way to do it in a way that won't turn North America and Europe into civil war nor turn the world into WW3.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Caleb Hansberry

Definitely a sad and scary thing to happen. :C
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

GalacticPirate

And all that because Obama didn't want to attack Assad in 2012 when UN discovered these cing killin' gases... Remember that all that began in 2013 during Iraqi confessional wars between chii and sunni Muslims. Back in the days news were predicting a split of Iraq between Peshmergas, the regular govt. and sunni rebels, but rebels became ISIS  O.O A real intervention of US or EU in this war would permit the loss of ISIS in less than 2 months, but now Putin is helping Assad to kill Syrian rebels, Turkish govt is bullying Kurdish people and Iraqi govt. is left alone to fight ISIS...

About 2nd amendement, I find this one ridiculous, for the simple reason that if some cs can do attacks in countries where guns are prohibited, what about a  country where you can buy a Kalachnikov like you can buy a sandwich ? It's ridiculous, now anyone living in the US could decide to kill 1,000 people on the moment, and get the necessary guns easily  <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

gameblabla

QuoteWait, did they actually kill members from your family like your mom, dad, uncle and stuff? O.O I hope not.
No, i was implying something else...

QuoteAnd all that because Obama didn't want to attack Assad in 2012 when UN discovered these f***ing killin' gases...
Obama was right not to attack Assad.
If they defeated Assad back in the day, ISIS would have claimed his territory and that would be even worse...

QuoteA real intervention of US or EU in this war would permit the loss of ISIS in less than 2 months, but now Putin is helping Assad to kill Syrian rebels, Turkish govt is bullying Kurdish people and Iraqi govt. is left alone to fight ISIS...
I agree, they had like almost 2 years to get rid of ISIS but instead they would rather make laws like the Intelligence Bill rather than actually
defeating ISIS...
They need to be more aggressive in their bombings i think. (You have nuclear warheads for a reason...)

QuoteBasically we need to eradicate ISIS, but we need to find a way to do it in a way that won't turn North America and Europe into civil war nor turn the world into WW3.
Sadly, it seems that WW3 is going to be more and more likely...
Why is UAE supporting Al-Nusra ? (which in turn, is supported by the US)
And the US seems hesitant to bomb ISIS due to the oil raffineries they control...
And apart from the Iraqis, it seems that everyone else (Turks, Assad...) has other concerns...

aetios

I would prefer if they didn't use nukes. Those things are better kept locked away because they're way too drastic.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

ISIS is too spread out and mixed up with regular people to make nukes useable at all. If they use a nuke against the largest ISIS population then they also render half of Iraq and Syria uninhabitable for 50 years.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Yeah, it's not always the best idea to "bomb the hell out of 'em."
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, the fact they now target minority groups such as LGBT people makes me fear something in the future. You know how, for example, when police shoots down a black person or when someone mass-murders a lot of black people, a series of riots often ensue afterwards, and that it's also the case with other groups of people, right? Well, what if ISIS wasn't actually trying to stir riots and social unrest by attacking such group of people one by one? Then police gets busy stopping riots and have less time to stop future terrorist attacks. I hope that's not what's happening.

Lionel Debroux

Creating fear, resent and hatred (the three most powerful human sentiments, closely followed by hubris-type pride) is the terrorists' goal - and to achieve such aims, attacking groups of people one by one and stirring social unrest is one of the many efficient tactics.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

gameblabla

QuoteThen police gets busy stopping riots and have less time to stop future terrorist attacks. I hope that's not what's happening.
It's not that the police (or the goverment) care about potential terrorists...
They seem to be more worried of protests than actual threats : look at France...

There is nothing to fear as they are on the verge of being defeated.

Also, apparently, the orlando guy was homosexual... lol...

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah. What I mean, though, is that terrorists used to create fear by forcing authorities to add stricter controls at the borders. For example, until the 9/11 attacks it was possible to cross the US/Canada border without a passport. Also now in sports stadiums they often search you with metal detectors and it takes forever to get in. Basically, they tried to scare people from going in crowded places.

My worry was if they also started causing social unrest in the same way that trolls causes fights on forums without even participating to the discussion. That could cripple police/army forces.

Quote from: gameblabla on June 17, 2016, 06:33:46 AM
QuoteThen police gets busy stopping riots and have less time to stop future terrorist attacks. I hope that's not what's happening.
It's not that the police (or the goverment) care about potential terrorists...
They seem to be more worried of protests than actual threats : look at France...

There is nothing to fear as they are on the verge of being defeated.

Also, apparently, the orlando guy was homosexual... lol...
If terrorists themselves starts causing protests unrelated to the terrorism then that could get out of hand even more, though. Also if the terrorist was gay then I am not surprised.

Dream of Omnimaga

And now Quebec City's reputation of being a safe place bites the dust: A shooting happened in a mosquee last night, killing 6 people. AK-47 weapon was used, indicating that the terrorist attack was being prepared since a long time. The confusing part, though, is that one of the killer called the police himself to surrender, several miles away from the crime scene. We can't jump to conclusions yet, but one of the killer has an Arabic name from Morrocan origins and the other a Quebec name, which makes it even more confusing.

Yuki

The Morrocan guy wasn't involved, he was mistakenly identified as the shooter as he ran away from the police he mistakenly identified as the shooter. Of course, this is not something Fox News or any racist Facebook commenter would buy. Everything leads to the fact there was one Quebecer, white supremacist, lone wolf.

Also I live at like 20 minutes from that mosque, it was a bit terrifying.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here