Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Project M discussion (split from Aqua-Wars)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 21, 2015, 04:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Melee was greatly welcomed for its nervosity and many tricks that have been decimated when Brawl came out. P:M is an attempt to bring back that Melee feeling/gameplay, fix&balance, give improvments not appeared on both Brawl and Melee and be acceptable for competitive/contest gaming.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok. I always wondered since most Brawl reviews were positive so I  thought it was strange that some fans didn't like it. I wonder where SSB for 3DS and Wii U stand among people's preferences...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

Well, among people who only played it, SSB4 is obviously the best choice.
That sentence I just said seems obvious, but I've been talking to so-called Smash fans, and they were bashing Melee (which I can accept, even though I don't agree) without even having played it (now, I can't accept).

But yeah, If you want my personal ranking (note that this is only my opinion, feel free to have yours, disagree and discuss), here it is:

1 - SSBO
Jk :P

1 - Melee
Because it's a Smash game. Those two words are important, Smash and game. Like, with Smash gameplay and game features.
This means that you can fight "seriously" with people, have a progression, etc, but you can also have fun when you want to (all Falcon, knee-only on Pokefloats).

2 - Project M
This is more Smash than Melee, but less game than Melee, that's why it's only second on my ranking.
I mean that you can fight seriously, but that's almost the only thing you can do. I'm obviously exagerating a bit, but still, there's no map as stupid as Pokefloats in this game so you can't do knee-only on Pokefloats or any similar stupid thing.

3 - SS Flash 2
Little roster, stupid AI but ridiculous gameplay and weird maps. So you can always show off your skills in Final Destination or just have fun in Sylph Co.
Below the two other ones though because the keyboard isn't idea, some key features (like the wavedash) are missing, and multiplayer isn't really a viable option.

4 - SSB4
This is the exact contrary of Smash 64 (see review below). They spent a lot of time and effort making sure that all characters and moves are useless, except everyone's Up B (save Little Mac) so that everyone can come back on the stage after crossing the pacific Ocean twice. Can be fun and/or competitive in duel but no one never dies so it most often ends in sudden death if you play with time (yes, even if you play with stocks too because time always runs out before stocks).

5 - SSB64
I didn't play it a lot but I still played it on my phone because it's the only Smash Bros game that runs on my phone :P
Well this game feels like it was just a teenager's idea, programmed by the teenager himself in two weeks, so that he only had time to code the gameplay then come out with 12 characters, but without having time to balance everything. As a result, every hit is as dangerous as the Falcon Punch. This actually makes it a very weirdly competitive and fun game at the same time lol.
But now that other Smash games are out, I can't help thinking "where's my Side B" when I play Smash 64. So yeah, it was probably an awesome game during it's time, but I can't enjoy it as much as other Smash games due to future features being missing.

Super Smash Bros Brawl
Try to do a combo. The opponent has the time to see you coming since that game is slower than JDG's grandmother, and she's dead (I just watched that episode again so I had this sentence in mind :P). And anyway, when the opponent doesn't see you coming, the game makes you fall for no reason because a random number generator decided to trigger tripping on you at this exact moment. Plus, no wavedash. Only buy this if you plan on playing Project M or if you want a party game like Mario Party, you know, the game you only play when other people are at your house but you don't care at all about the gameplay, who wins, how to improve yourself and such.

Dream of Omnimaga

But how would you rank SSB43DS and SSB4WiiU? Which of the two would you prefer? I heard they are different
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

they are exactly the same, DJ. they're even cross compatible, the U version only has more content IIRC (such as maps)
ceci n'est pas une signature

Hayleia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 27, 2015, 11:22:46 AM
But how would you rank SSB43DS and SSB4WiiU? Which of the two would you prefer? I heard they are different
Oh yeah, I forgot about this (even though the differences aren't many). I would actually rank them at the same place because:
-Smash Tour (Wii U exclusive mode) is already stupid with friends (more of a Trivial Pursuit game without the cultural part than a Smash game, and you don't even choose your fighters) but not remotely close to fun alone while Smash Run (3DS exclusive mode) is awesome, alone or with other people.
-On the Wii U, you can choose your controller and up to 8 people/CPUs can play at the same time, which is convenient when you're either too many in the place or if you're less than 4 but with heterogeneous levels so you want to be all on the same team against CPUs.

Quote from: aeTIos on August 27, 2015, 11:29:54 AM
they are exactly the same, DJ. they're even cross compatible, the U version only has more content IIRC (such as maps)
Only the same gameplay-wise ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

I see now. Also I would probably not like Project M if it's only for competitive use because I hardly compete in games anymore (I'm more a causal player)

Also isn' SSBO dead? It only progresses when you have school vacations and it didn't this Summer either, meaning one more year with no update :P

Unicorn

Yeah... what happened to SSBO? I wanted to see that finished...
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Hayleia

Well, as I said on IRC, I didn't really have any vacations this summer. School finished on June 12, My internship started on June 15 and finished on August 7. Then I had to take a plane on August 18 for school. And my parents thought it would be smart to waste the only free week I had (August 7 to August 15) to go to the beach, even though I don't like the beach -.-

So yeah, obviously I could have worked on it on the evenings after coming back from my internship, but after working from 7.20 to 17.00 with a 20 minute lunch break, I prefered playing games to relax rather than debug SSBO.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I see now. I got worried that SSBO had bit the dust. Do you think you will have more free time this year?

Hayleia

I have no idea. From my point of vue, my schedule isn't full at all. But maybe that's because as opposed to France, we have to work more at home than at school here.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see. I hope that doesn't mean you will get too much homework either. This is a problem with university in Quebec >.<

Anyway if you ever resume SSBO, there is a CW subforum for it available since February. It's just hidden :P

123outerme

I just discovered that you can put Super Smash Bros Melee onto a Wii. However, it will be easiest to hack your Wii to do this. It's possible, but I don't know if anyone has made the code to launch it through Smash Stack (The SSBB level editor glitch thing). The hack runs Gamecube .iso's without the need for a physical disk. It's called Nintendont.

Materials:
* Nintendont software
* 2 GB SD card (must be 2 GB to accommodate the size of SSBM)
** You can also load Melee from a USB device, but I'm not sure how to do this. You should look it up if you're interested
* Homebrew Channel (Look up how to do this)
* Melee .iso file (Rip your own disc using one of the many USB loaders, otherwise you're on your own for obtaining an ISO)
* Wii (Duh)
* 1+ Gamecube controllers

Instructions:
*Follow the instructions for downloading the Homebrew Channel and Nintendont. Launch Nintendont. It's pretty self-explanatory.

EDIT by aeTIos: please don't mention where to obtain ROMs, ISOs, or warez. (We're a bit more loose about this subject on IRC, but we don't want the forums in trouble)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting, I didn't know that. That said, I already own a copy of Melee and my Wii is GCN-compatible.

aetios

Quote from: 123outerme on February 23, 2016, 10:15:42 PM
I just discovered that you can put Super Smash Bros Melee onto a Wii. However, it will be easiest to hack your Wii to do this. It's possible, but I don't know if anyone has made the code to launch it through Smash Stack (The SSBB level editor glitch thing). The hack runs Gamecube .iso's without the need for a physical disk. It's called Nintendont.

Materials:
* Nintendont software
* 2 GB SD card (must be 2 GB to accommodate the size of SSBM)
** You can also load Melee from a USB device, but I'm not sure how to do this. You should look it up if you're interested
* Homebrew Channel (Look up how to do this)
* Melee .iso file (Rip your own disc using one of the many USB loaders, otherwise you're on your own for obtaining an ISO)
* Wii (Duh)
* 1+ Gamecube controllers

Instructions:
*Follow the instructions for downloading the Homebrew Channel and Nintendont. Launch Nintendont. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Running from an USB drive is actually surprisingly easy; instead of putting the disc image on the SD card you put it on a fat32-formatted USB drive and pop it into USB port 1 on your wii. Also, you don't need a GC controller: you can use all sorts of controllers with nintendont, ranging from ps3 to classic wii gamepads to wiimote + nunchuck. It's really a marvelous piece of software. Myself, I even used bongos and the GC <> GBA cable with it. Works without a hitch.

If there's anyone struggling with hacking his/her(?) wii, just make a topic and mention me, I like to think I'm quite knowledgeable about it.

For more information on nintendont itself, refer to https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/ . It has everything you might want to know about it (because it is everything :P)
ceci n'est pas une signature