Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What multiplayer games would you play?

Started by Yuki, August 25, 2015, 02:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 10, 2015, 08:37:56 AM
Ideally we'd like a vps, not game-specific hosting so that we can host more than a minecraft server. For $20 a month we can get a dual core with 2GB ram which is a pretty good price:specs. I can't pay for it myself, and I don't think it would be a wise idea to dig in the donation pool for the main site.
There's absolutely no room on the cw server to run a game server anyway due to ram constraints (the site itself hardly manages to fit in 1GB).
It would needs to be a standalone VPS. Minecraft requires 8 GB of RAM per online user, right?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol :P. But yeah this is a bit why I don't want a gaming server hosted on CW, unless it's for online calculator gaming (which I doubt it would require much resources)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Yeah but on cw it's not even worth trying running extra stuff anyway. The server is full. :P

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 11, 2015, 07:19:34 PM
It would needs to be a standalone VPS. Minecraft requires 8 GB of RAM per online user, right?
Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 11, 2015, 07:34:57 PM
Yeah, plus 2TB of ram just for java.

Do you guys program in C? Because you're salty as c :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Strontium

I really love Teeworlds. But, since I am guessing what all of you guys want is something you can just hop on for a bit and do some things without any organization, Minecraft is pretty good :P

If you end up making a modded Minecraft server, here are some mods that are really good/are my favorite:

• Botania
  • Thaumcraft
  • Blood Magic
  • Forbidden Magic (an addon to add integration between Botania, Thaumcraft, and Blood Magic)
  • All of GrowthCraft
  • Bibliocraft
  • Natura
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 12, 2015, 10:17:45 AM
Yeah but on cw it's not even worth trying running extra stuff anyway. The server is full. :P
Well, that's only because 29 GB is just Juju's stuff, leaving only 1 GB for the site. He should probably move his stuff elsewhere (such as Soru server) since CW server was mainly to host this site, not BroniesQC nor his stash of anime memes. :P But yeah, overall I value site performance more than having a Minecraft server.
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on September 12, 2015, 04:30:23 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 11, 2015, 07:19:34 PM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 11, 2015, 07:34:57 PM
Yeah, plus 2TB of ram just for java.

Do you guys program in C? Because you're salty as c :trollface:
Nope, we are exagerrating quite a bit above, because in the past I often heard that Minecraft servers required 1 GB of RAM per online users or even 8 GB upfront. :P

brentmaas

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 12, 2015, 06:12:22 PM
]Nope, we are exagerrating quite a bit above, because in the past I often heard that Minecraft servers required 1 GB of RAM per online users or even 8 GB upfront. :P
Neh mate, 2GB was enough for a 6-person private server
Lel I glitched Omni

Unicorn

I have 3 gb towards a private modded server, and it doesn't lag to bad with 2 people on it
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

novenary

2GB should be good to host at least 20 players. Not sure with mods but it should still be good.

Damn this was my 1337th post. :\

c4ooo

Minecraft should not take 1GB per user. When playing single player, it rarely goes anywhere close to 1GB, even though i have a 32 bit redstone computer running with 3GB alocated to the jvm. Personally, i would not like if it had plugins that dramaticly changed the game, or if the server required a custum mod pack, unless maybe teckit or FTB which where quite popular and are easy to install. Then again, there are probably few mods at this time for 1.9. It would be cool, however, if we had plugins made by our own members :D

NB: A plugin is just a server side change, but a mod requires the user to mod his client in order to connect to the server.

Dream of Omnimaga

My main concern with mods is if a server only allows 1 single type of Minecraft configuration of mods in it. For example, if users have to uninstall all other mods they have in order to get in. That would be annoying if we play on multiple servers.

Also, if a CW Minecraft server was gonna be started, it would be better if people didn't all start their own small servers like on Omnimaga. Everyone should probably stay together.

Also, a CW Minecraft server should require users to post a minimum of three times per week on CW in order to get in, to avoid Minecraft driving people away from calc forums like in the past.

novenary

You don't need to have remove all your mods, minecraft allows for multiple profiles.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I didn't know that. That's good then. I just remember horror shows such as Starcraft: Brood War mods. In fact, sometimes with softwares we didn't even need a single mod in order to run into such problem: Back in the days, in order to use GIMP, you had to uninstall the GTK version that TilEm and TIEmu used and switch to a different one, then once you were done with the emulators, you had to switch back to the other version in order to run GIMP. Same probleem with Python 2.6 vs 3.0 IIRC.

novenary

Python 2 and 3 are incompatible but both can be installed on the same system, it's just a matter of setting things up right. I believe it's also possible to do that with gtk but I have no idea how it works on windows. The right way is to build all software against the same version, this way they're all compatible (and that's what Linux distros do, since they all build and package their own software for the official repos, unofficial repos are built upon the official ones as well).