Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Historic Go game being played between Google and the world champ, who will win?

Started by Yuki, March 09, 2016, 04:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

20 years after the world champion of chess has been defeated to a computer, will Google do the same for a game way more complicated than chess, the ancient Asian game of Go?

Watch the livestream below and place your bets.

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn, that game had quite a strong following on MaxCoderz forums way back in 2005. I noticed it became popular again recently after nearly being forgotten for some reasons. I didn't know they had any form of competition of it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah, it's very popular in Asian countries (Japan, China, Korea) as much as chess is popular here in Occident, and of course there's competitions of it. Except go games are way more complicated and hard than chess. The ranks in go are pretty similar to karate and other Asian martial arts, so the world champion is professional 9th dan.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dudeman313

I bet anyone on the site an HP Prime or its worth that Google loses.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Adriweb

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 09, 2016, 05:13:35 AM
I bet anyone on the site an HP Prime or its worth that Google loses.
Uh oh, Google/AlphaGo won its first match so far :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

CVSoft

I've already accepted my robot overlords, as long as they run on Windows XP.
  • Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89 Titanium

Dudeman313

• Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

The pc won the first match. There's 5 matches though.
ceci n'est pas une signature

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Yuki

Yeah, it's pretty crazy, Before AlphaGo, the best program could barely win against a low-level pro player with 5 handicap stones. And then AlphaGo came with its deep learning technology (the same one used by this Google program that produces trippy LSD-induced images) and goes on to win against the world champions without handicap.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Snektron

I personally think neural nets are one of the coolest things you can make :o. Too bad they're so hard to make aswell :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah, Watson, it wasn't as complicated though, it just had a few encyclopedias, including Wikipedia, whole in RAM and just searched them fast enough to have a good answer. (Fun fact, it broke and began spitting inappropriate answers out after being fed Urban Dictionary.)

Anyway, for the Go game, it's 3-0 (out of 5 games) as of this night, meaning a computer program has officially won against the world champion, a feat experts didn't thought happening before a few years.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN