Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Old Calculator Games

Started by GuyInFreezer, January 21, 2016, 07:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Benryves actually made some sort of Doom engine once too for the 83+, but it was not finished either.  There are demos on his blog at http://www.benryves.com/journal but no source code for anyone to continue. I wonder if Qarnos' 3D engine had the source...

As for Firetrack, I believe it was based on an old 8 bits game, right? Porting it would probably not be too hard, and the sprites are readily available. Also, Penguins and Sqrxz for the 84+CE would be nice. Those were great calculator classics.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

True.

Another old calculator game: KOF2K.
That was fun, for a little while, until I got bored winning all the time.
I wonder if that could be used to make a detailed fighter game for the CE?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh wow I forgot there was a KOF game for calculators. The sprites in it could definitively use some recoloring for use in a color game. That said, I would rather like a beat-em-up, though, such as Double Dragon or Battletoads.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

That'd be fun. Or maybe even a colour version of Contra.
The answer is "Sure."

GuyInFreezer

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 31, 2016, 09:58:50 PM
True.

Another old calculator game: KOF2K.
That was fun, for a little while, until I got bored winning all the time.
I wonder if that could be used to make a detailed fighter game for the CE?
Oh boy this game.

Detailed fighting game certainly would be harder to implement since a decent fighting game requires more precise hitbox for each motion, more command moves recognization with prioritized moves order, combo damage reduction, downing, etc,

I would love to see one made though.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, the problem is that fighting games use very large sprites and it's hard to have decent collision detection when for example you get hit by a punch, because the arm extends about 1-2 tiles away from the rest of the sprite. Inevitably, the collision detection would have to look funny at times in order to keep speed high.

Quote from: Dudeman313 on April 06, 2016, 08:12:08 PM
That'd be fun. Or maybe even a colour version of Contra.
I'm thinking a color Metroid clone would be nice.

Dudeman313

Good idea! Maybe when you're done with your current projects and find some time, you could work of that ti-basic Metroid you made(I think with someone else?) and port it with xLIBCE or Textlib(that'd be a real challenge, though).
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah my main issue with Metroid CE is that I don't feel like redesigning all the maps from scratch to be 20x15. I would rather do it on the HP Prime where I can zoom in to keep the 12x8 maps. I don't want to mess with scrolling in xLIBCE (the last time I did it was pretty complicated).

The other solution would be to use CE Textlib but with lower quality wall tiles and sprites to speed up map loading. By using a wider variety of tiles per map, map drawing would be much faster so I could redraw the entire screen everytime with no problem. I would be able to use any map size too.

Dudeman313

That sounds good for Textlib. Wouldn't you have to redesign the character sprite, though?
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, if you check the mockups thread, here is an example of what Samus could look like. However, if Metroid Chozo was remade, Samus would fit two tiles in height like in the mockups instead of just one, so some maps would need to be redesigned. THis would be to make it look closer to Metroid. I might be better off making a new game if I ever make such game anyway, because I doubt that I would be able to implement a Kraid boss that moves in CE Textlib. O.O