Development > PC, Mac & Vintage Computers

Gateway to Legend

(1/2) > >>

123outerme:
Gateway to Legend is a conceptual open-source Puzzle-RPG. The main focus of the game will obviously be solving puzzles to get experience, as any Puzzle-RPG would have it, but the mechanics that make this game unique is that most puzzle mechanics will be based off doors or gates! Switches and door pairs allow you to gain access to rooms, teleporters provide gates between two places on the map, and more! It also supports the development and easy integration of user-generated content, as well; you can make puzzle map-packs for this project! I've done quite a bit of work on this engine so far, and I'd like to show it off. Here's what I have so far:

In this video, I show off the concept of scripts; here, I'm using a "use portal" script to demonstrate the concept. Scripts define the functionality of a given map, so for example, I can use this "use portal" script to tell the game to warp me to a certain map, placing me at certain coordinates. There are also scripts for many different game functions, like dialogue (meaning a text box), gaining exp, etc.

There's also a map creator and a map-pack wizard that helps user-generated content, as far as the programs go. I haven't implemented any of the gameplay yet, unfortunately. I have ideas and graphics all drawn up, tools for integrating the puzzles, and the basics in puzzle design and game design.

I need some help drumming up some ideas for many different sections of the game, so I have my Github repository over here, and I would very much appreciate any help from the community, from suggestions, to offering to help with code. This project will be pretty big and pretty complex, so I'm expecting it to take more time than my port of Sorcery of Uvutu. I intend to follow up as much as I can on all my promises, making it as good as I have been designing it to be.

gameblabla:
I see that you are reusing a lot of your previous code from Sorcery PC.
In fact, it looks like you are instead attempting to revamp your old code rather than start from scratch.

Btw, you forgot to put the fonts from previous game in Gateway.

123outerme:

--- Quote from: gameblabla on October 15, 2017, 08:59:09 pm ---I see that you are reusing a lot of your previous code from Sorcery PC.
In fact, it looks like you are instead attempting to revamp your old code rather than start from scratch.

Btw, you forgot to put the fonts from previous game in Gateway.

--- End quote ---
Yeah I'm trying to reuse what worked and rework what didn't. No need to reinvent the square wheel on this one. I did forget to include the font in here, let me change that now.

123outerme:

Here's my new progress! You can see that all the "event" tiles, or puzzle mechanics, are displayed onscreen. I also implemented button and door behaviors, with framework to do the same thing for each tile. I also did a lot of work on the map toolchain, making it so that each program can be compiled with the same header file(s), meaning no extra bloat in the build directory, among other changes like always displaying event tiles there too.

xlibman:
I like the idea so far and I definitively notice the inspiration from SoU. The graphics look cool together by the way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version