Poll

Should the graphics (sprites) for this game be...

Multiple 2D images, at various angles?
3 (37.5%)
16x8x16 3D sprites with a viewing algorithm adapted for it?
5 (62.5%)
Other suggestion (post in topic)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Star Trek Multiplayer (CE Edition) nears first demo release  (Read 2329 times)

Offline ACagliano

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +2/-0
    • acagliano
    • Anthony Cagliano
    • @@ACagliano
    • ClrHome Productions
Update

After a bit of not understanding double buffering and then finally understanding the concepts, I figured it out, and created fairly smooth graphics rather than flickering mayhem. I implemented this only for the view screen, since it should be like you looking out a window. For the other tabs, which are LCARS displays, I left the faint flickers in, since I would think a refreshing LCARS display would have a quick flicker.

Here is a screenshot showing the Borg cube with the new graphics.

=========================
A few more things to do (Bugs):

1. Implement a shunting yard or some other form of algorithm that sorts rendered map objects by distance, so we can render them in order. (help, please?!)

2. Projectile tracking not working. (reviewing)
----- 2-a. Projectiles do not track their targets.
----- 2-b. Sometimes, pressing the fire key fires a phaser, other times it seems not to.

3. The Borg sphere not AI'ing.
----- 3-a. The Borg sphere does not seem to track the player
----- 3-b. The Borg sphere does not seem to fire as its supposed to. This is likely the same bug as 2-b.

4. The collision detection and collision interpolation algorithms might need some work

** If anyone is willing to assist me in debugging, let me know!

I'm hoping for a release by Christmas.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE

Offline xlibman

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +100/-5
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
I can't see the screenshot D:. Is it the same as the one you showed me yesterday?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-CG10
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nintendo Switch, Playstation TV

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

Offline c4ooo

• Pedanticity prevents ambiguity
  • Super User
  • CW Contest II Winner
  • Post Rating Ratio: +13/-4
  • Advanced forumer
For full 3D, I could make 16x16x16 models for each item, leading to an overhead of 4096 bytes per object,
ehh this isnt how you should be storing 3D models. 3D models are stored as a a bunch or vertices and faces made from those vertices. ;)

Offline ACagliano

• Full User
    • acagliano
    • Anthony Cagliano
    • @@ACagliano
    • ClrHome Productions
For full 3D, I could make 16x16x16 models for each item, leading to an overhead of 4096 bytes per object,
ehh this isnt how you should be storing 3D models. 3D models are stored as a a bunch or vertices and faces made from those vertices. ;)
oh. Can you give me an example? Would this require more or less a) memory and b) processing power to use than a series of sprites of ships from various angles?

Offline c4ooo

• Pedanticity prevents ambiguity
  • Super User
  • CW Contest II Winner
  • Post Rating Ratio: +13/-4
  • Advanced forumer
oh. Can you give me an example? Would this require more or less a) memory and b) processing power to use than a series of sprites of ships from various angles?
What you are describing with "16x16x16 models for each item, leading to an overhead of 4096 bytes per object" seems to be a voxel engine, which are not exactly the fastest or best looking (ahem ahem minecraft).

Here is an example of how 99.99% of 3D games store their models:
Code: [Select]
v  0.0  0.0  0.0
v  0.0  0.0  1.0
v  0.0  1.0  0.0
v  0.0  1.0  1.0
v  1.0  0.0  0.0
v  1.0  0.0  1.0
v  1.0  1.0  0.0
v  1.0  1.0  1.0

f  1  7  5
f  1  3  7
f  1  4  3
f  1  2  4
f  3  8  7
f  3  4  8
f  5  7  8
f  5  8  6
f  1  5  6
f  1  6  2
f  2  6  8
f  2  8  4
(This is a cube). ( and of course you want to store this as raw data, not as text). If you want to have a texture applied, you have to also store texture coordinates.

As to the question of "Would this require more or less a) memory and b) processing power to use than a series of sprites of ships from various angles?", well, i really dont know. The "sprites of ships from various angles" method will probably give you better results of far away objects, where as 3D models would be better in up-close ship to ship dog-fighting. Since the game seems more of the former then the latter, i would go with the "sprites of ships from various angles" method. You could probably make and texture the models in blender, then render them from different angles. You might also want to take a look at TheM02's 3D engine for the CE.

Offline ACagliano

• Full User
    • acagliano
    • Anthony Cagliano
    • @@ACagliano
    • ClrHome Productions
Yea, that 3D engine is definately something I want to use. It seems to look beautiful, but im not entirely sure it would be compatible with my map format.

Offline ACagliano

• Full User
    • acagliano
    • Anthony Cagliano
    • @@ACagliano
    • ClrHome Productions
Ok so I need some advice.

The Problem: When I'm rendering the weapon sprites, the weapons should seem to move from lower on the screen, and then move towards the center, and the ship. I thought of drawing triangles (gfx_FillTriange) to create a perspective beam phaser effect, but that's very hard to control with the degree I need to. I'd need to be able to calculate the starting point and ending point of the phaser beam and draw a line or series of lines. The starting and ending point may not always be on screen, especially when the game goes multiplayer and you'll sometimes see a phaser fly across your viewscreen, heading elsewhere. This seems to not be a problem with the torpedo sprites, as torpedoes are more in one place than beam-like.

The resolution: I could give every phaser a *trail length* value that's like some % of the weapon's speed. For each phaser, we calculate the phaser's position and the trail's ending position, draw the phaser in position, and then draw a line or triangle from the phaser to the trail end. GregsAStar also suggested stretching the phaser's sprite out so that it goes from the phaser's position to the trail's end.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Offline ACagliano

• Full User
    • acagliano
    • Anthony Cagliano
    • @@ACagliano
    • ClrHome Productions
Would I be able to recruit some debugging assistance? I've gotten this game mostly debugged, but I'm still struggling with two remaining issues that I can't seem to remove.

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games