Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The future of Codewalrus

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 05, 2015, 09:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

^this, especially projects, art and such productive material. :P What I notice is that some people only reply to calc projects that are for their calculator model, when they could easily give feedback to other projects just from screenshots and updates.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Yeah, thats whatI do if I've been inactive for a while.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 05, 2016, 06:27:39 AM
^this, especially projects, art and such productive material. :P What I notice is that some people only reply to calc projects that are for their calculator model, when they could easily give feedback to other projects just from screenshots and updates.
Yeah, I tend to do that...  :-\
I should take your advice, but sometimes I just don't reply because I'm either lost in the conversation and I don't like looking back on the pages, or I don't understand what is being discussed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it depends. I am talking about games, though. Often, those aren't too technical.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Yeah, that's true(there I go again :P).
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

So I took the daily posting graph and split it by year (starting from the day the forum started running). Should we be worried about the last few months decline from last year? Because based on the only Summer data we have so far, that looks kinda bad >.<  (although the big slope starting Summer 2015 is when Eiyeron left then we lost CKH4 during Fall, and perhaps summer projections should be calculated based on 2015-16 Spring average, in which case we would only slightly be lower next year but still lower)

The main danger is Summer when many people lose Internet access or find new hobbies, because most losses aren't recouped during the Fall months. But it also depends of how many people actually make posts (for example, there were 14 who did today, based on my timezone). One staff should try to run some SQL query to check every day how many different people made new posts then post the spreadsheet. I am curious about how it evolved over last year.

On a more positive note we still have somewhat healthy numbers during daytime, though, and we're very close to 40K posts total.

Dudeman313

That's true; I think we'll be okay. I got my new Nokia battery, so I might be on more in the summer if I'm not doing FreeCodeCamp or in school taking HS credit classes early.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Hopefully you have more free time this Summer. It sucks when we have vacations but have too much stuff to do. It doesn't feel like vacations in such case. >.<

As for the site I think parts of the issue was that unlike last Spring, we did not do a Spring contest. However, it's not because we didn't want to, but rather couldn't, which is why we're trying to find a good solution to setup some merch store or something to help funding future contests. Unlike most other active calculator sites, we have neither an affiliation with a calculator company to provide prizes nor staff with high income.

Hopefully some of the TI-84+CE releases help, though, and maybe I will have time and motivation to work on some more advanced stuff

ben_g

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 08, 2016, 07:23:07 AM
As for the site I think parts of the issue was that unlike last Spring, we did not do a Spring contest. However, it's not because we didn't want to, but rather couldn't, which is why we're trying to find a good solution to setup some merch store or something to help funding future contests. Unlike most other active calculator sites, we have neither an affiliation with a calculator company to provide prizes nor staff with high income.
How about orginizing smaller contests that are very accesible to beginners and have free prizes? For example something like the trophies that appeared under your signature on omnimaga when you had highscores in the arcade.

Maybe also something with a slightly different challenge, such as a contest that actually encourages picking up old projects again and turning them in (or similar: a contest to take an open-source/moddable project and mod that, because who wouldn't want a contest to create the best Walrii-inspired Minecraft mod :P ).

Dream of Omnimaga

The problem with smaller contests with extremely small or lack of prizes is that most community members historically participated to contests only if there are good prizes. Sometimes those contests work for a while then die down in popularity. I have one idea for a contest that would involve optimizing very old BASIC games but it wouldn't really be a contest since there would be no winner (everyone participating would be listed in the credits section of the game re-release).

Reviving dead projects as contest theme would be a nice idea too, but there are some issues: Most dead projects are closed-source and most people have trouble reading other people's code. But it would be awesome to see some promising stuff be revived that way.

ben_g

I think the main problem with previous small projects was that they occured so regularly and generally also had rather small time periods. Since many of us don't always have a lot of time, maybe those contests should also have much more generous deadlines (and no bonus/penalty for submitting your entry early or very close to the deadline).

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah but even back in the days before Code Golf contest were a thing, sites sometimes had non-prize contests at a much slower rate, yet it was common for people to win by default. MaxCoderz 2005 contest is one prime example, even though the site had record forum activity that year (most of which happened during the contest).

But I agree that sometimes there were too many contests before. There is also the issue that when some sites start contests, sometimes another site starts his own around the same time. It's also hard to find a theme that will please everyone, while being original and multi-platform.

Dream of Omnimaga

Hey now, I know I am less active lately but mind giving me an hand to keep a reasonable amount of life on the forums anyway? I'll be even less active next winter and spring and I'm done with calcs since December so yeah <_<

p2

the site won't die <3
massive poster #2 is back  :)

can we get an update on that graph? https://codewalr.us/903/39376
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

I will try to make one at some point. Based on stats tho we should be under 1000 posts a month in June/July tho (we average around 1300-1700 right now)