Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Link cable -> USB stick

Started by E37, October 01, 2016, 09:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E37

I am a firm believer that if it fits, then it should work! (I don't know how to say that without sounding wierd)
So, I bought a mini usb to USB converter. (read ti84 to flashdrive)
I was dumb and bought the wrong type! (It still fits but won't connect)
I was wondering if any hardware geeks could help my poor state. (I'm unwilling to but another $1.50 cord) I essentially have the newer version of the usb. (It has an extra pin or something)
I can't see how having too much of something is a bad thing...
So... now I'm convinced that I'll make it work. Don't worry, I have no clue what I'm doing.
Who knows? Maybe I'll fulfill my delusions of grandeur! So... I all I need to do is figure out how FAT16 is formatted and how to read and write to it! Any ideas/ suggestions? (Or don't post at all - just to show how bad an idea this really is)
I'll report back when I realize that I can't do this!
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

aetios

(Why is this categorized in this weird category? O.o)
Is this about the 84CE or the TI-84+ ? For the latter there is MSD8X which I used a lot. Useful program.
ceci n'est pas une signature

E37

Quote from: aeTIos on October 01, 2016, 10:08:28 PM
Is this about the 84CE or the TI-84+ ? For the latter there is MSD8X which I used a lot. Useful program.
Because I didn't see a better category. Feel free to change it if you think there is a better one. I have used msd8x. It doesn't work with usb-b's.
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!

aetios

Quote from: E37 on October 01, 2016, 10:14:33 PM
Quote from: aeTIos on October 01, 2016, 10:08:28 PM
Because I didn't see a better category. Feel free to change it if you think there is a better one. I have used msd8x. It doesn't work with usb-b's.

Well, right now we're posting in the File Download Archives :) MSD8X indeed doesn't work with USB-B, you will need a USB-A adapter, these are better known as 'OTG' adapters.
Your point 'if it fits it should work' doesn't really hold up here, see e.g. this:
ceci n'est pas une signature

novenary

Note that you can make a regular mini B plug into a mini A plug by shorting the pins together with a small ball of aluminum.

You need to short pins 4 and 5 together, and then any device will see an A plug.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 01, 2016, 10:45:48 PM
Note that you can make a regular mini B plug into a mini A plug by shorting the pins together with a small ball of aluminum.
@E37 This is a really bad idea and I strongly discourage it. You could easily short out the data wires or even the power ones and that could damage your stick/calc.
Btw, your USB stick needs power. You need to inject 5v into the wire IIRC.
Also go and buy an OTG adapter. They are dirt cheap and the way better bet in this case. Don't go for the DIY approach. It's not worth it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

E37

Quote from: DarkestEx on October 01, 2016, 10:52:23 PM
@E37 This is a really bad idea and I strongly discourage it. You could easily short out the data wires or even the power ones and that could damage your stick/calc.
oops... too late... Nothing happened - nothing at all! It didn't work and nothing broke.
@aeTIos I don't see anything wrong with that picture - should work! :trollface:

novenary

Fyi, I've done it before. Use a tiny flathead screwdriver to make sure it's properly in there. Shorting data lines won't damage anything. and the risk is only very mild if you happen to short the power line. I don't know how well the protection circuit is built in these calcs, but you don't even risk shorting the power line (pin 1) in the first place.

DarkestEx

Quote from: E37 on October 01, 2016, 11:17:11 PM
oops... too late... Nothing happened - nothing at all! It didn't work and nothing broke.
Then please don't continue testing with it. I would never do this to a 120€ calculator. I would rather spend 3€ on a proper OTG cable than ruining my hardware (note that you are dealing with external +5v @ >= 500 mA, which can screw up your calc badly if you short them out against the D+ and D- wires).
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

E37

Quote from: DarkestEx on October 01, 2016, 11:20:08 PM
Quote from: E37 on October 01, 2016, 11:17:11 PM
Then please don't continue testing with it. I would never do this to a 120€ calculator. I would rather spend 3€ on a proper OTG cable than ruining my hardware (note that you are dealing with external +5v @ >= 500 mA, which can screw up your calc badly if you short them out against the D+ and D- wires).
Ok... I'll stop. Risking an expensive calc isn't worth it.
I guess that is the end of this thread - unless there is some magical way to make it work.

Dream of Omnimaga

In the event where the above pic worked, I bet that the transfer speed would be 1 bit per second.

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

but we got 4 adapters, which each support up to 300MB/s which means 4*300 = 1.2GB per second?  :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

If one adapter goes at 1 KB/second, then it slows everything else to 1 KB behind it. Just like car traffic. If a car rolls at 10 km/h on a single-lane road, then everyone else is stuck behind at 10 km/h. I'm betting that there is also some slowdown that would occur between adapters.

Also, I remember when I used a serial link cable with my calculator. On a TI-83+ it took 30 minutes to send an OS O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

WholeWheatBagels

What even are all those adapters in that picture...?
Living in another world to you.

Also in case you were wondering Frankie did go to Hollywood

Dream of Omnimaga

USB to PS2, PS2 to serial, serial to DVI and DVI to parallel.