Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[example for 4x3 contest] Maze

Started by Yuki, April 29, 2015, 08:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Hey there, this is a little thing I made to demonstrate what you should expect for the contest, it's not a real entry (since I'm staff).

You're next to a red square and you have to find the green one using the arrow keys.

Play it here (note that you can't provide downloads yet, you can't use my code either but you can probably expand on the concept):

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

alexgt

YAY! I finished (after going down every single path that did not have the green lol)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

brentmaas

Haha, nice. Got quite the temptation to scroll out though xD
Lel I glitched Omni

DarkestEx

Quote from: Juju on April 29, 2015, 08:03:46 PM
Hey there, this is a little thing I made to demonstrate what you should expect for the contest, it's not a real entry (since I'm staff).

You're next to a red square and you have to find the green one using the arrow keys.

Play it here (note that you can't provide downloads yet, you can't use my code either but you can probably expand on the concept):
http://juju.codewalr.us/4x3contest.html
No!
I wanted to make an adventure, with a scrolling map!
But it can still be original, so I will do it anyways.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Unicorn

That was fun, I like the Idea of the game. Could there be pitfalls added?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

If you don't mind, I changed your topic tag to include example in it, so people don't get ideas. But yeah this is a nice example of what can be done under such extreme limitations. People can no longer say that making a 4x3 game is impossible now :P

However, your first post is an example of what to not do for the contest as well, as it's against the rules to release your entry to public before voting/judging begins in June. <_< You should replace it with a screenshot as soon as possible so that people won't repeat the same mistake. >.< (EDIT: Done)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Fun little game :D i had the same idea though :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 30, 2015, 03:59:51 AM
If you don't mind, I changed your topic tag to include example in it, so people don't get ideas. But yeah this is a nice example of what can be done under such extreme limitations. People can no longer say that making a 4x3 game is impossible now :P

However, your first post is an example of what to not do for the contest as well, as it's against the rules to release your entry to public before voting/judging begins in June. <_< You should replace it with a screenshot as soon as possible so that people won't repeat the same mistake. >.< (EDIT: Done)
That was kind of the point leaving a download link so people can see an example in action before making themselves one (while warning people to not give a download link). Or so I thought, I guess?
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

DarkestEx

For those who want to play it (copying is forbidden!) and remember that releasing code is forbidden too.

Here can you play it:
http://web.archive.org/web/20150430223013/http://juju.codewalr.us/4x3contest.html
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on April 30, 2015, 04:18:45 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 30, 2015, 03:59:51 AM

That was kind of the point leaving a download link so people can see an example in action before making themselves one (while warning people to not give a download link). Or so I thought, I guess?
Yeah but people tend to not read warnings (or don't speak English as their native language) and could be misled by the original post that it's now OK to release entries (or at least web ones). Hence why I felt it was better to be safe than sorry. I guess it's fine if it's in another post since it's not an actual entry, but in the first post it could be misleading.
Quote from: DarkestEx on April 30, 2015, 10:31:36 PM
For those who want to play it (copying is forbidden!) and remember that releasing code is forbidden too.

Here can you play it:
http://web.archive.org/web/20150430223013/http://juju.codewalr.us/4x3contest.html
Wow archive.org already picked it up? O.O Back in 2012, the latest archive.org copy of Omnimaga was from April 2009. O.O THe original link still appears to work though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 01, 2015, 02:49:59 AM
Quote from: DarkestEx on April 30, 2015, 10:31:36 PM
Wow archive.org already picked it up? O.O Back in 2012, the latest archive.org copy of Omnimaga was from April 2009. O.O THe original link still appears to work though.
Nah. I preserved it for future generations :P

Yuki

Yep, archive.org picked it up because the original link is still up.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

DarkestEx

Quote from: Juju on May 01, 2015, 05:13:11 PM
Yep, archive.org picked it up because the original link is still up.
Yes, it is still up.

But I used the save page function of archive.org to capture the site.
Archive.org doesn't do that automatically. Every capture needs to be done manual.

Yuki

Isn't it a web crawler like Google?
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN