Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Creating a custom domain with github pages

Started by Ephraim Becker, November 18, 2015, 01:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephraim Becker

How do I put my files on the server or connect it to github pages?
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII
I have Aspergers Syndrome

Ephraim Becker

I want this to work even when my computer is off. What's an alternative?
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII

p4nix

Buying a server. Or don't code it in a web language.
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

p4nix

Maybe the site title is wrong now, but if I got it right github has the problem of not allowing PHP.
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Ephraim Becker

Is it a good idea to use JSONP to get around the origin problem?

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Ivoah on November 18, 2015, 05:28:41 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 18, 2015, 05:28:13 PM
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on November 18, 2015, 02:03:35 PM
Well, in order to get a custom comain, you need to get a domain :P
You can buy one for a few dollars, or you can get a  free one at some sites (http://www.dot.tk/ for example)
.tk has horrible uptime sometimes, though (2004 and 2010 in partucular had 50% uptime). Use it as last resort.

I use noip.com for my site, and have never had problems with it.
I did. Your site was unreachable during most of the winter. X.x
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: p4nix on November 19, 2015, 02:09:55 PM
Maybe the site title is wrong now, but if I got it right github has the problem of not allowing PHP.
You can use Jekyll. https://help.github.com/articles/using-jekyll-with-pages
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, from experience you'll waste much more time trying to get around limitations than choosing an alternative. Also if you try circumventing limitations and manage to do what you want, then it's not guaranteed that it will continue working in long terms.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Well yeah, GitHub is better for publishing static pages (they provide Jekyll though), if you want PHP then you definitely need some hosting.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN