Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CodeWalrus turns 1 year old

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 24, 2015, 05:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

1 year ago, it happened: CodeWalrus became a thing. It was the day the walrus started to fly. While the idea was first brought up on September 6th 2011 then discussed in June 2014, it is on October 24th 2014 that this new website and forum project officially started. At the time, no official name had been chosen yet, although TI-Walrus, CalcWalrus and TI-Legacy were among the first being considered. A few days later, a name that is less calculator-centric was chosen: CodeWalrus. Then the http://codewalr.us domain name was registered. A logo and the Walrii mascot (the latter which eventually generated a fanart thread of over 140 little walruses and close to 1000 replies) were designed on November 4th. The forums were finally installed on November 11th and remained mostly private, then everyone got access on January 1st 2015.

What happened next is the revival of a long-lost community past, because people wanted it back and it had become clear that the only way to bring it back was via CodeWalrus. Then CW eventually grew into an active and friendly discussion environment where there is a significant sense of community and involvement. We would like to give 24402 thanks all the contributors who have helped CodeWalrus grow over the year and helped us going through hard times. As always, we welcome site suggestions to improve and encourage everyone to share their creations and give feedback on others, be it calculator, mobile, other platforms or simply art. Remember that we also have an IRC channel called #codewalrus on EFnet network. We hope for more years of CodeWalrus with you. :walrii:

About CodeWalrus
Forum statistics
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Max Leiter

Kinda upset I found it so late (Thanks @Ivoah d:); happy birthday CW :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol that happens with new websites or websites that switches URL. Traffic is always low at first because people can't find us easily via Google.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

Well, that was quite the ride, I like how our little project became successful despite literally everything, hope it stays around for quite a while. Happy birthday!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

aetios

Eh, the first recorded chat message in the 'New site' telegram group (now bearing the very appropriate name of "Praise Karpet and James Hetfield and The Magical Python of Doom and Salvador Dali and The Game and Walrii") was sent on oct 28th, if I'm not mistaken. Happy birthday to CW anyway!

Edit: I re-read the OP and I stand corrected, indeed on oct 24 DJ first talked to me about starting a new site.
ceci n'est pas une signature

novenary

Strontium

Happy birthday to you / happy birthday to you / happy birthday dear codewalrus / happy birthday to you!

yay!
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

DarkestEx

Happy birthday CodeWalrus!

I hope for another awesome year here and that CW will exist for a long time.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on October 25, 2015, 10:28:26 AM

Happy birthday CodeWalrus!

I hope for another awesome year here and that CW will exist for a long time.
I wish that this cake was more 2D so I could do a :walrii: out of it. But I could always try to make my own cake sprite then walrify it. :P

My next goals and hopes for CW is that future staff keeps the site like it is, mentality-wise, since, after all, that's a bit why the site started in the first place. I'll most likely remain CW staff and that grocery store job for the rest of my life, but if I was ever forced to step down or if anything else happened, I also want to ensure that CW continues to thrive no matter who runs it, to avoid a repeat of past events. Otherwise I hope I eventually get motivation to finish a few more calculator projects and hope that people will continue showcasing their stuff regardless of the platform.

Something I like overall is that people here are generally open-minded towards other members, regardless of the platform (calculator brand, computer OS, etc), site allegiance (if any) or programming language they use. We can joke about platforms and languages in jest or create debate topics, but I mean that no one gets singled out, which is good. I also like how involved people get in this part of the TI community: For example the Walrii fanart, the Android and PC post notifiers, programming/project help.

Ivoah

Quote from: Max Leiter on October 24, 2015, 05:28:36 AM
Kinda upset I found it so late (Thanks @Ivoah d:); happy birthday CW :)

I'm glad you joined!
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Araidia

Congrats on be a year old! :w00t:
Let's hope that this will be the first among many anniversaries!
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

It will. I and @Streetwalrus are already dedicated to keep CW the way it was originally founded for and @Juju is most likely committed to keep CW as it is (by that I mean its DJ-era Omnimaga mentality from 2011 and before). I don't know about the rest of the staff such as @Cumred_Snektron and @Ivoah since they joined after the split but with the "truth about CW" thread I think they got the message. Basically, there will not be any drastic site policy/administration changes regardless of if I am part of the team or not.

The problem is my life and health have been on shaky ground for at least a year, especially lately (which is why my activity dropped so much), and I had a past history of similar events. As a result, since the beginning in October 2014 I always had to operate CodeWalrus as if I would be forced to leave at any moment, hence why I always pushed for having active staff who gives feedback to other projects when they can, even if I am sometimes annoying about that,  and elite coders who are involved in CW, over staff/EC that posts once a month or worse. CodeWalrus is here to stay as long as staff can afford to pay the hosting and domain name bills *pokes juju to stop buying several dozens of domain names every month <_<*.

EDIT: Also this song was ironically made around when CW started, although it's dedicated to a completely different and unrelated community. However, the lyrics would have fitted well with CW premise: https://albion.bandcamp.com/track/live-on-stage-edit

novenary

Oh yeah, that song is nice. :)

And yeah, I'm determined to keep CW as it is as long as I'm around.

GalacticPirate

Happy 1st :walrii:-versary CW ! That's cool !
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)