Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Beta] TwoStep - The challenging puzzle game! [Axe] [TI-8x+]

Started by DarkestEx, January 29, 2015, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Great that you like the changes!

Heres the next update for you!

Changes:
- Ingame UI-redesign + new HUD
- Some new icons
- Preparations for new Timed game mode
- Removal of obsolete resources (-700 bytes)
- Screen now flashes on damage
- Proper "To be implemented" dialogs
- Preparations for the new settings and highscore menu items
- Version format changed and now displayed in the preliminary settings menu in the main menu

Download:
as always: http://muessigb.net/download.php?id=TwoStep-z80
Please don't deep link to the actual file. The php script keeps track of downloads and the current version and redirects you the best way possible.
Of course can you link to this url, but keep in mind, that it only works for the lastest version.

Screencast:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

DarkestEx

Well the highscore tables will (hopefully) be implemented in the next version.
My idea is saving the highscore tables inside of every single level file.
This has quite some benefits as it makes the levels portable and you can easily share your scores with others by simply sending them their level pack file and they can try to beat your score. The scores for a level pack can of course be resetted in the (planned) menu. I plan on saving quite a few information in the file, and display it to the user (like if he successfully was able to beat another players score, or if he dies, how far the next better player come.
I think that it could be interesting to have one or more save slots per level pack (password protected), that allow the player to continue where he left off.
But that would require quite some changes (and i would then drop (finally) the hibernation feature, which brings a lot of trouble and makes updates extremely hard). Also i got a few ideas for the level pack compiler to make the whole thing more dynamic.

How do you like these ideas? Feel free to comment!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Problem : you'll have to manage the highscores when you will have to send the level packs. If someone overwrites a level pack with an higher score than what your overwrites with, you will lose the best result. You should create some sort of storage based in hash code of a level pack.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

I feel like there needs to be some kind of info bar on the menu screen saying something like "play" and "credits".
Otherwise, looks good as always :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on April 04, 2015, 11:15:18 AM
Problem : you'll have to manage the highscores when you will have to send the level packs. If someone overwrites a level pack with an higher score than what your overwrites with, you will lose the best result. You should create some sort of storage based in hash code of a level pack.
Well, I know what you mean, but there's -sadly- no other way known to me to save the data. The only other way would break all compatibility by saving the results in a separate file. If a level pack gets corrupt or deleted the database would fill up, or I would need to constantly pull and check if the level pack file is still unchanged and there. Maybe I will make some kind of a merge function that could somehow merge two level pack files into one.

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 04, 2015, 11:15:43 AM
I feel like there needs to be some kind of info bar on the menu screen saying something like "play" and "credits".
Otherwise, looks good as always :D
You mean on the main menu screen, right?
If so, yes, I will do that, but the main menu screen will be redone anyways.

Snektron

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Darkest : you maintain a table of hash-code/highscores : you'll make a function which returns a different value for each level and you link it to the score. Google Hashing code or Hash maps to see what I'm talking about.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on April 04, 2015, 12:57:49 PM
Darkest : you maintain a table of hash-code/highscores : you'll make a function which returns a different value for each level and you link it to the score. Google Hashing code or Hash maps to see what I'm talking about.
Oh this. Yeah I was doing that anyways (Have you seen the doors and portals? There can be up to 8 portal outputs of one channel. a random one of them is selected when stepping onto one. The same applies to the keys and doors, only that there's only one door channel. I am pretty sure that I am using hash tables there.) for the savedata. But I don't know what benefit would be when making a hash table for saves and highscores into an extra file.
I could have gotten you completely wrong. I was using struct-lists. The first element is the size of the data and the elements are structs containing data.
I was also using a lookup table for the textures adresses in ram (no i am doin it mathematically no if-blocks for rendering tiles).

Dream of Omnimaga

You know, this could very well get a featured project sub-forum. I know this is very far into completion already but since the Android version is still underway, I guess it wouldn't hurt if TwoStep had its own section. Good work so far :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 05, 2015, 05:13:34 AM
You know, this could very well get a featured project sub-forum. I know this is very far into completion already but since the Android version is still underway, I guess it wouldn't hurt if TwoStep had its own section. Good work so far :)
Oh that would be awesome! Thank you so much, DJ Omnimaga :)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I support waht DJ O said, you deserve your own subforum! :p

Snektron

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I can't change the forum's structure, I only can move, merge, lock or delete. We'llhave to wait until an admin does the thing, okay? ^^

DarkestEx

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on April 05, 2015, 08:44:37 AM
I can't change the forum's structure, I only can move, merge, lock or delete. We'llhave to wait until an admin does the thing, okay? ^^
No problem, I will wait until somebody can do it. I am happy that you even consider giving me a own sub forum for it ;)

Thank you all!

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah Eiyeron as moderator can only ban, delete, edit, moveetc, while as forum maintenance you can change the forum layout and do some minimal moderation (eg moving a topic) like the Topic Management group can do in addition to changing the actual layout. Now to make a project icon :P

EDIT: looks like you had one already, so I used that icon. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U