Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Smash Bros xLIBC ideas

Started by 123outerme, March 03, 2016, 12:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 01, 2016, 03:54:31 AM
Could you link to that pseudo 3D thing? I forgot what it was. And I see about the CE, I hope you reconsider at one point but I could understand if you don't get one.

As for a Nintendo fighter, do you mean a beat-em-up or something like Punch Out?

I actually didn't make the pseudo-3d screenshot until now. I called it pseudo-3d because I imagined using it for such a game, where you can turn the camera to inspect the enviroment. It actually seems possible and make a moving character, because it would have to update both sides of GRAM, which is what most games do to achieve double-buffering. But here, I simply made two maps and loaded them together, scrolling between the two. It isn't technically pseudo-3d here.
Truth is, I want a CE, but I don't have too many dollar bills to throw around right now. Not that I need to save for food, thankfully (since I'm not on my own yet)

And the Nintendo fighter, it's one I mentioned a little while ago, one I play frequently. So basically put. Smash Bros. I'm going to try to use Hayleia's design choices (modular character roster, etc.) but all of these choices may not work. I'll have to wait and see for when I make the actual thing. I'm probably going to make Falco first because he's my main.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dudeman313

Quote from: 123outerme on March 03, 2016, 12:43:12 AM

I actually didn't make the pseudo-3d screenshot until now. I called it pseudo-3d because I imagined using it for such a game, where you can turn the camera to inspect the enviroment. It actually seems possible and make a moving character, because it would have to update both sides of GRAM, which is what most games do to achieve double-buffering. But here, I simply made two maps and loaded them together, scrolling between the two. It isn't technically pseudo-3d here.
That's okay if it really isn't pseudo-3D, what matters is that you made something that looks really neat!  :thumbsup:
Unless of course, you don't like it.

Truth is, I want a CE, but I don't have too many dollar bills to throw around right now. Not that I need to save for food, thankfully (since I'm not on my own yet)

And the Nintendo fighter, it's one I mentioned a little while ago, one I play frequently. So basically put. Smash Bros. I'm going to try to use Hayleia's design choices (modular character roster, etc.) but all of these choices may not work. I'll have to wait and see for when I make the actual thing. I'm probably going to make Falco first because he's my main.
Do what @Ivoah 's doing. Setup a GoFundme. :blah:
And will the fighter be for both CE and CSE if you can get a CE due to my amazingly awesome  :ninja: plan?
I just want to see it when you start. I can also help with graphics/sprites if you need them. ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

123outerme

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 03, 2016, 01:00:57 AM

That's okay if it really isn't pseudo-3D, what matters is that you made something that looks really neat!  :thumbsup:
Unless of course, you don't like it.

Do what @Ivoah 's doing. Setup a GoFundme. :blah:
And will the fighter be for both CE and CSE if you can get a CE due to my amazingly awesome  :ninja: plan?
I just want to see it when you start. I can also help with graphics/sprites if you need them. ;)
I think it's fine. You can obviously speed up the scroll. And the only reason I didn't seem to like it was because the graphics weren't designed for a pseudo-3d game, but in fact this game right here. The graphics I used were just to test the concept.

And compatibility depends what I use to create it, and how much of xLIBC is compatible with xLIBCE.

Dream of Omnimaga

Could you link to that pseudo 3D thing? I forgot what it was. And I see about the CE, I hope you reconsider at one point but I could understand if you don't get one.

As for a Nintendo fighter, do you mean a beat-em-up or something like Punch Out?

Another issue is your parents might not be ok with you buying multiple calculators <.<. It worked with my mom because the second calc was my only way to backup my programs, but the third calc had to wait until I was about to move out.

As for the pseudo 3D thing I would say that such pseudo 3D would be more suitable to inspect an environment surrounding you rather than moving across a top down map, but it would not work for your game. It would be more suitable for a first-person view. It still looks nice, though. I am curious about how fast such scrolling will be on the CE.

ANd thanks for the info about the Nintendo fighter. I wonder if SSB would be fast enough in xLIBC, though. It would need to be 1vs1 for sure, but collision detection and platforming might slow things down.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 03, 2016, 06:10:52 AM

Another issue is your parents might not be ok with you buying multiple calculators <.<. It worked with my mom because the second calc was my only way to backup my programs, but the third calc had to wait until I was about to move out.

As for the pseudo 3D thing I would say that such pseudo 3D would be more suitable to inspect an environment surrounding you rather than moving across a top down map, but it would not work for your game. It would be more suitable for a first-person view. It still looks nice, though. I am curious about how fast such scrolling will be on the CE.

ANd thanks for the info about the Nintendo fighter. I wonder if SSB would be fast enough in xLIBC, though. It would need to be 1vs1 for sure, but collision detection and platforming might slow things down.
Possibly. I can speed up the scrolling too, I just didn't in the screenshot. What I was thinking is for the stone side of GRAM, I'd instead put the end of the maps, like this:

][               ][
LEFT   ][   MAP   ][RIGHT
             ][               ][
But if you were to play the game out of half-res, here's what it'd look like
[               ][                        ]
[   MAP   ][LEFT RIGHT]
[               ][                        ]
If that makes any sense.

Dream of Omnimaga

Something interesting would be a pseudo 1st-person view game where once you turn around, instead of turning instantly it just scrolls to the other side, so it looks smoother.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 05, 2016, 06:41:06 PM
Something interesting would be a pseudo 1st-person view game where once you turn around, instead of turning instantly it just scrolls to the other side, so it looks smoother.
Like those FPS out there? Or more like Sonic Robo Blast 3D?
Something like that would be pretty cool on a CE/CSE, but speed is always an issue.
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

This looks very nice already, @123outerme! Looking forward to see what you can come up with :D
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 05, 2016, 07:23:09 PM
Something like that would be pretty cool on a CE/CSE, but speed is always an issue.
More like FPS'es but more old school. Basically you can only move at 90° angles. But in order to achieve my effects, the walls would need to be designed with a fishbowl effect or to look like those 360° pictures.

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 07, 2016, 12:02:41 AM
More like FPS'es but more old school. Basically you can only move at 90° angles. But in order to achieve my effects, the walls would need to be designed with a fishbowl effect or to look like those 360° pictures.
Oh. You mean, like a Panoramic photo?
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed. Perhaps not as good looking, though, and without the 3D from panoramic photo viewers. :P

123outerme

Quote from: aeTIos on March 06, 2016, 08:09:24 AM
This looks very nice already, @123outerme! Looking forward to see what you can come up with :D
Thank you!

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 07, 2016, 12:02:41 AM
That would be interesting, but so far I plan to use the scrolling to move the Smash Bros camera.
I also kinda wanted to create a Zelda (or Zelda-like) game, after playing Wind Waker some. It's definitely possible.

Dudeman313

Sounds good to be! And what languages to you plan to write these in?
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Scrolling would have decent speed since it's hardware scrolling, but my concern is how would you wrap around on big maps, collision-wise? I tried it with a Tunnel clone and it was a major f-word nightmare to code. Kerm re-used the code in his Flappy Bird clone so he could probably get away with most of the chore at least. First Fantasy map collision was also hard to code because it used both sides of the screen at a time. In your case, you would also have to deal with sprite collision when the characters are in the middle of the map, but with one being on the other GRAM area.

We should maybe split this into a new topic, by the way, since it's not Uvutu-related. :P

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 08, 2016, 12:34:11 AM
Scrolling would have decent speed since it's hardware scrolling, but my concern is how would you wrap around on big maps, collision-wise? I tried it with a Tunnel clone and it was a major f-word nightmare to code. Kerm re-used the code in his Flappy Bird clone so he could probably get away with most of the chore at least. First Fantasy map collision was also hard to code because it used both sides of the screen at a time. In your case, you would also have to deal with sprite collision when the characters are in the middle of the map, but with one being on the other GRAM area.

We should maybe split this into a new topic, by the way, since it's not Uvutu-related. :P
Yeah, that'd be a good idea. Maybe into a topic in my subforum that's called "Game Ideas" or whatever?